No choke on cold start ? Audi s3

Keane

Reaction score
Evening lads,
Recently noticed sometimes on cold start like this morning (freezing) my car starts normally but the revs just drop as if it's been running (no choke). It's dont splutter or struggle neither, could it be the thermostat ? Or is it normal :/ ? Cheers

"choke" is controlled by the CTS sensor, Maybe that's faulty?

Maybe ?? Shows the temp fine of gauge and vcds.

I talked with my mechanic about this intermittent issue, and he said that the ''choke'' hasn't got anything to do with cold, nor with the engine warm up. The higher revs at start up are associated with filling up the battery. In a way that the car knows when the battery needs topping up. Once I didn't start my car for 2 weeks, and for precaution sake I put the car battery charger on for 45 mins, and when I started the car, the ''choke'' didn't went on.

Evening lads,
Recently noticed sometimes on cold start like this morning (freezing) my car starts normally but the revs just drop as if it's been running (no choke). It's dont splutter or struggle neither, could it be the thermostat ? Or is it normal :/ ? Cheers
I noticed the same behavior on my car also.

Not sure what causes it. Please keep us posted if you find out anything

Do you mean the higher idle speed on cold start?

If so then the reason for this is catalyst heating which influences emissions.

To achieve the best emissions the catalyst needs to be hot so higher idle speed heat the cat up quicker.

Am running a catless downpipe. And a custom stage 2+ map

Reviving old thread, but did anyone get to the bottom of this? Im having the exact same issue, car starts up fine, but it has no choke, just drops to 800rpm.
I'm changing thermostat soon because temp. seems to be dropping slightly and it takes long time to warm up. Will see if its gonna make a difference with cold starts but doubt it...

Reviving old thread, but did anyone get to the bottom of this? Im having the exact same issue, car starts up fine, but it has no choke, just drops to 800rpm.
I'm changing thermostat soon because temp. seems to be dropping slightly and it takes long time to warm up. Will see if its gonna make a difference with cold starts but doubt it...
Change the coolant sensor too, DSG have 2 of them only use genuine parts don't use ecp please lol

Change the coolant sensor too, DSG have 2 of them only use genuine parts don't use ecp please lol
Yeah, parts like that i always do oem.
Got part numbers for those 2 sensors maybe? Also, one thing i forgot to mention, if i turn the car off immediately after first starting it, and then turn it on again, the choke is back and it holds properly at 1.2k rpm.

Yeah, parts like that i always do oem.
Got part numbers for those 2 sensors maybe? Also, one thing i forgot to mention, if i turn the car off immediately after first starting it, and then turn it on again, the choke is back and it holds properly at 1.2k rpm.
No sorry use https://www.facebook.com/CoverdaleCP genuine and good prices. Ok the later says it's ok, but why it doesn't do it on first start up is out of my league lol

To the right of the head in a coolant hose