Choice of Inlay

chucky1

Reaction score
Lots of cars being ordered here but its not often anyone mentions their choice of inlay. Our "default" here seems to be fine ash. I think its kind of nice, but there are a no. of great finishes Audi have. My S4 has Carbon Atlas. Love it. Like the look of Piano Black but is it difficult to keep clean? Have not seen the Black Oak/Aluminium in the flesh but that looks very slick. What are your favourites?

Piano black is not difficult to keep clean............as long as you don't touch it !
It does tend to show dust well too, but nothing a quick wipe with a microfibre doesn't sort.

Reactions: AshA4
I'd have liked Carbon Atlas, but changing the inlay didn't seem to be an option when I spec'd up my car, an S4 saloon BE Nav.

It appears to be piano black by default ..

Piano black is not difficult to keep clean............as long as you don't touch it !
It does tend to show dust well too, but nothing a quick wipe with a microfibre doesn't sort.
+1

I went for Piano black as I am used to carbon or bamboo in the BMW and fancied a change and I wish I had stuck with carbon, the black piano shows the dust so much it drives me mad. I had the no cost choice of Piano Black, Carbon or Aluminium.

If you love the look of dust and static attraction of it that you get with shiney black plastic? you will love the piano black, I hated it......

On my S4, i wanted the black edition - but didn’t want the piano black trim after having them in my last car.
I wanted Carbon as i felt the S cars should have carbon like my old B6 S4.
It cost me a small fortune but i had the dealer swap the piano black for carbon (stupid that is not an option on the black editions!)
So i now have a brand new full set of piano trim to shift as some point

Reactions: TahirS and scotty76
My S4 will come with Carbon Atlas. That, (and Daytona Grey) are the only 'cosmetic' options on mine.

Reactions: Keef
Thats what I thought, I'd seen it in 6 month old cars and it was already scratched. I had the chance of Alu, Carbon and Gloss black, all at no extra cost, i so wish I'd chosen Carbon. Now going to get a quote to retro fit Carbon to the RS.

I’m sure the RS part numbers are the same as the S4
Dealer quoted me over £1200 - managed to find 3 of the door trim new on ebay and got a small discount on the other bits, £800 all in.
Changed the doors & dash myself, the hard part is the centre console trim, screwed in from below so whole console has to come out
Didn’t fancy doing that on a brand new car, dealer charged me £100 to do it
Still crazy money but i wanted Carbon on a black edition and couldn’t afford the RS4!

Centre console 8K0863305M 7V7
Front door 8K0867409E7V7
Front door 8K0867410E7V7
Rear door 8K0867419E7V7
Rear door 8K0867420E7V7
Dash board 8K2853189L 7V7

Reactions: scotty76
Yep but i wanted rotors, so had to be Black edition...trust me i spent ages looking at all possible confirgurations :readit:

I looked into spec'ing a non BE S4, and adding the bits I wanted in, as it gives you more choice with inlays etc. but by the time you add wheels, MMI, B&O etc. it's much more expensive. You do get a lot of extra's in the BE for a fraction of what they would cost you as an added option.

I'll live with the piano black :blink: and at least it's a change from the normal aluminium trim I've had in my last few Audi's.

I do wish you had more choice though, I remember when I designed the interior of my JCW. There were so many options/designs and you could customize it a fair bit. Mind you I suppose a lack of choice is sometimes a good thing, stops you changing your mind 100 times before the build gets locked ha ha ! :yum:

I must say I really like the Carbon. Its an easy finish to live with and my SS Seats in Black look pretty well balanced next to it. Lot of black but it works. I had a BMW 320D Wagon two cars ago. This was a pretty good estate and it had the brushed aluminium inlays. This was a nice finish set against black in the kinda flat no frills overall feeling of this maker. I feel the Audi cabins are definitely a much nicer place to be in though. A good mate of mine who has a 335 coupe recons Audi add just the right amount of bling to make this space feel special. He's right.

I looked into spec'ing a non BE S4, and adding the bits I wanted in, as it gives you more choice with inlays etc. but by the time you add wheels, MMI, B&O etc. it's much more expensive. You do get a lot of extra's in the BE for a fraction of what they would cost you as an added option.

I'd initially specced a black edition but decided that too many of the BE extras were things I really didn't want (let alone need), like tints and bigger wheels. So the difference got blown on carbon inlays and the sports diff!

I wanted the black grill, window surrounds and I love rotors so they would have had to have been added.

Not so fussed about the MMI and tech stuff mind you ..

I spec'd the Sports Diff

Piano black here too

Needed to be different as my old B8 A4 had brushed silver inlays so wanted a different 'feel' to the interior

Not looking foreword to keeping 'em clean mind ... :(

I have not seen the Piano Black in the flesh. No one seems to have it here. There is a small bit of it between the buttons/controls on the console. I think it must look pretty cool around the cabin.

I have not seen the Piano Black in the flesh. No one seems to have it here. There is a small bit of it between the buttons/controls on the console. I think it must look pretty cool around the cabin.
Pics of piano black inlays on my new S4 :)

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
I think that looks really slick. Like a few of these finishes they won't ever date.

I can never get that shot right. Through the door to get the interior. Whenever I do it it looks like an odd angle.

I can never get that shot right. Through the door to get the interior. Whenever I do it it looks like an odd angle.
Watch me attempt and fail when mine arrives, and you'll feel so much better.:blush:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76