Bad radio reception

Mr Happy

Happy Member
Reaction score
Hi, Ive recently bought an A4 1.8T saloon. The radio reception is almost non existant, although I can receive local radio (just about). Ive done a search on the subject but most having the problem seem to have the cabriolet. I assume the broken wire in the boot only applies to the cabriolet?

My car is a late 2002 and has the original symphony radio fitted. In the service history audi recommend trying a replacement amplifier at a cost of £550, which needless to say has never been done, but is this really likley to be the problem? Where in the saloon version is the amp fitted? Are there any known issues with the radio reception in the saloon, like the broken wire issue in the cabriolet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I think the amp is under the headlining above the rear window. I'd check the amp, they have been known to fail, should be able to pick one up one eBay cheap

It's the antenna mate, they split from their circuit boards on the back window.

Thanks guys. Will have a look later now I have a direction to look in.

my radio reception is not too bad, certainly better since i've changed to an rnse but still not perfect.

It's the antenna mate, they split from their circuit boards on the back window.
Is there any way to tell which side is affected? (I have an estate with poor radio reception which gets awful when I plug in a USB charger)
Any way to fix or do you need to buy a new antenna?

Tom.

Ah sorry mate, mines a saloon, which is common.
Avants I couldn't tell ya, scan with vcds, usually shows a fault if it's the signal antenna.

Usually a new one is in order, but I'd just buy a universal powered antenna from eBay and fit that, fraction of the cost

Thanks again guys, now sorted. It was located behind a clip on rooflining panel above the rear window, and it was indeed the amp had a split in the top plastic cover.

I googled the fault and one guy had found that by pressing the board in a certain place that the radio started to work briefly, so I tried this and it worked for me too. The repair is to place a bulldog clip on the spot to keep the pressure applied. It works a treat and I now have radio again.

Reactions: BakPak
do you have any pictures of it and where its located?

My radio works but I think bad reception in some areas is my issue not the actual amp but worth checking

do you have any pictures of it and where its located?

My radio works but I think bad reception in some areas is my issue not the actual amp but worth checking

Sorry, didnt take pics but its easy to find, as mentioned above and the cracking is obvious when you see it.