What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Just passed 90k but missed the magic number.

55aef7a59f500b4a55ee31f3046b7fef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Got a plan together today with @NHN, he's going to get Xenons retrofitted to my saloon! :yahoo: Very excited for that, will really lift the front of the car. He's already sourced me a replacement bumper with the headlight washers (I wanted it to be all buttoned up and fully legal), just need to source the level sensors and the light units themselves now. :thumbs up:

It is a very worthwhile upgrade, don’t forget to go with the clear corner units as they really improve front end appearance over the ambers.
Look forward to seeing the end results.
So it’s an open wallet situation then, something my old bus commands on a regular basis.

Reactions: NM07
It is a very worthwhile upgrade, don’t forget to go with the clear corner units as they really improve front end appearance over the ambers.
Look forward to seeing the end results.
So it’s an open wallet situation then, something my old bus commands on a regular basis.
Haha that's a good way to describe it Rob :laugh: I really love the B7 platform, and won't ever be selling this car, so I thought it makes sense to spend some money on it and get it to the spec I want :smiley:

Managed to find a pic of a saloon in LY7W metallic silver (same as mine) with xenons fitted, can't wait for mine to look like this :hearteyes:

0dfeef4f85ca409a89dce81dbd66528d

Rather than what I have now:

IMG 4814

Takes years off the car IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: tr7
I’ll never recoupe what I’ve spent but at least I’ve enjoyed doing the mods and enjoy the car even more.

Reactions: Rob Avant
I used to be a very oem look owner but after nearly eight years ownership I’ve become more of a “ I fancy a different look “ owner, I still love 99.9 % of the oem B7 look but just like to embrace a slight twist on things , but not going bonkers ott.

One of few disappointments with the B7 platform in my opinion with the special editions is that they are not as special as they could be.
Don’t get me wrong , I love mine , well that’s why I bought it but I feel they could have fitted some of the nice kit from the rs4 and S4 , like recaro’s etc , better steering wheel and just small details that would make it just that bit more special.
Ok , it was born on the RS production line at the RS factory and has various bits and bobs but it would have been nice to have just those special bits to really justify the name.

still , one can’t have everything.

I've always been a massive fan of OEM+, where any mods done are done in such a way that they almost look factory, while improving the standard functionality of the car.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
One of few disappointments with the B7 platform in my opinion with the special editions is that they are not as special as they could be.
Don’t get me wrong , I love mine , well that’s why I bought it but I feel they could have fitted some of the nice kit from the rs4 and S4 , like recaro’s etc , better steering wheel and just small details that would make it just that bit more special.
Ok , it was born on the RS production line at the RS factory and has various bits and bobs but it would have been nice to have just those special bits to really justify the name.

still , one can’t have everything.
I fully agree. I do like the special editions, but there isn't a whole lot they will separate them out from a well specced S-Line. In fact I've a good number of well specced S-Line's doing better than a Special Edition :laugh: I think the Special Edition spec should have been as follows:
  • Bi-Xenon standard with auto lights etc
  • Interior lighting pack standard
  • Cruise standard
  • Valcona leather standard with option to spec up to Recaro's
  • Actual hardware performance upgrades to the engine rather than just an improved map
  • A special interior trim that wasn't available for non Special Editions
  • Some subtle exterior styling differences on top of the "Black Pack"
Would just set them aside from the standard car a bit more, and give them that special feel.

Yes but that’s the thing with Audi, they are pretty well built to order around options and packs etc hence why there is such a wide variation in spec per variant.
I didn’t have BT etc but did get adaptive xenon’s and other packs that were options on special Ed’s, but not offered on other variants.
Also the BUL engines were only fitted to the TFSI special Ed’s and DTM , I did get a fair few options to be fair , inc tinted rear glass, even had the RS4 rear arb fitted from factory so swings and round about In someways.

I find the adaptive xenons really good, ideal for sharp dark bends and corners. :icon thumright:

I fully agree. I do like the special editions, but there isn't a whole lot they will separate them out from a well specced S-Line. In fact I've a good number of well specced S-Line's doing better than a Special Edition :laugh: I think the Special Edition spec should have been as follows:
  • Bi-Xenon standard with auto lights etc
  • Interior lighting pack standard
  • Cruise standard
  • Valcona leather standard with option to spec up to Recaro's
  • Actual hardware performance upgrades to the engine rather than just an improved map
  • A special interior trim that wasn't available for non Special Editions
  • Some subtle exterior styling differences on top of the "Black Pack"
Would just set them aside from the standard car a bit more, and give them that special feel.
There are so many B7 options, rear door blinds, rear window blind, rear heated seats, and a shed load of trim levels, same with electric/lighting options and ICE.
Folding door mirrors , full mem seats ...Rain sensing wipers etc etc.
Glove box cooler wheel/brakes, Just soooooo many and even though not all were offered on specific variants retro fitting is possible albeit at a cost.
The thing with the special eds is that they were all s-line anyway, just with more bits added on, or off as many will agree..lol

I was in my local Waitrose at lunchtime waiting for the wife to sort out something nice for this evening's meal, just sitting quietly enjoying some music, happened to look left and bang, saw this just down from me, and yes it has those 20" alloys I love.
I'd kinda decided to stay with the Oz's but now I'm having second thoughts again, blast it.
IMG 4745

I was in my local Waitrose at lunchtime waiting for the wife to sort out something nice for this evening's meal, just sitting quietly enjoying some music, happened to look left and bang, saw this just down from me, and yes it has those 20" alloys I love.
I'd kinda decided to stay with the Oz's but now I'm having second thoughts again, blast it.
View attachment 252497

IMG 0324

Looks a lot like a very good friend of mines old one ,bar the splitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm like a moth to a flame with those wheels, i'm going to need to sort out a decent set of 8.5j's somehow. :icon thumright:

Haha that's a good way to describe it Rob :laugh: I really love the B7 platform, and won't ever be selling this car, so I thought it makes sense to spend some money on it and get it to the spec I want :smiley:

Managed to find a pic of a saloon in LY7W metallic silver (same as mine) with xenons fitted, can't wait for mine to look like this :hearteyes:

View attachment 252493

Rather than what I have now:

View attachment 252494

Takes years off the car IMO.
Xenons have to be one of the best mods

Make sure the bulbs are good too

Xenons have to be one of the best mods

Make sure the bulbs are good too
Fully agree, they really lift the front end. I've ordered a pair of Osram Xenarc D1S bulbs so should be good to go :thumbs up:

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
A friend of mine has a rather nice B7 S4 saloon that needed a vcds scan and config, a nice change from what I lined up for today.:icon thumright:

Also doing him a retro HU upgrade to a sony HU and Kenwood rear cam fit over the weekend.

A friend of mine has a rather nice B7 S4 saloon that needed a vcds scan and config, a nice change from what I lined up for today.:icon thumright:

Also doing him a retro HU upgrade to a sony HU and Kenwood rear cam fit over the weekend.
Sounds great Rob, what Sony are you going for in particular? Don't forget to get some pics posted up :thumbs up:

He's chosen a sony xav-ax3005db.
looks like a nice unit.

Reactions: Rob Avant
He says it will do more than he needs so more than happy with the model.

On the plus side he doesn't want his immaculate RNS-E HU and BT setup, so that's coming home with me too....happy days. :icon thumright:

He's chosen a sony xav-ax3005db.
looks like a nice unit.
Excellent choice, pretty much identical to mine, except the 3005 has a resistive antiglare screen versus a capacitive glossy screen on the 5650. He won't be disappointed, it's a dream to use :thumbs up:

On the plus side he doesn't want his immaculate RNS-E HU and BT setup, so that's coming home with me too....happy days. :icon thumright:
Do you have any plans for the RNS-E? Or going into the parts cupboard? Surely would be a bit of a step down compared to your current unit?

Do you have any plans for the RNS-E? Or going into the parts cupboard? Surely would be a bit of a step down compared to your current unit?
Been there before with a 2012 RNS-E , hence why I changed to the Alpine.

I'll stick it in the garage along with all the rest for a rainy day or maybe another B7 project..

You still considering that RS4 Rob or have the recent fuel prices put you off that venture?

Excellent choice, pretty much identical to mine, except the 3005 has a resistive antiglare screen versus a capacitive glossy screen on the 5650. He won't be disappointed, it's a dream to use :thumbs up:
He's a really nice chap and a good friend but he just won't use it to be honest.
I think he just wants the newer tech more than its functionality.

You still considering that RS4 Rob or have the recent fuel prices put you off that venture?
I'm on the fence really.
what with petrol cost getting silly, VED going up as well i'm just hanging back to see how things pan out over the next 3-6 months really.
I have other automotive projects ongoing as well so spreading funds across numerous projectss can be interesting to say the least..lol

I'm still working on this project converting it for some lawnmower racing.

let alone complete this theV8 rebuild that has ground to halt due to parts availability.

Reactions: NM07 and tr7
Finally got around to fitting my coil overs on the S4.
Fitting the front struts was a a nightmare. The upper pinch bolt holding the two upper arm ball joints was seized solid on both sides so I had to try and remove them at the strut top mount end but there isn’t enough space to get the bolts out so one of the bottom arms had to be removed to get the whole strut and upright to drop down enough to get the bolts out! Not a job I’ll be taking on again in a hurry. It’s done now and happy with the look

Attachments

• 9CEA85A7-AC99-4B8A-AA96-163271B7058E.jpeg
    9CEA85A7-AC99-4B8A-AA96-163271B7058E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: NM07 and tr7
Fully agree, they really lift the front end. I've ordered a pair of Osram Xenarc D1S bulbs so should be good to go :thumbs up:
Take a look here

Finally got around to changing the fuel filter on the S4. The car has full stamped Audi service history but the filter has clearly never been changed, the date on the filter is 12.1.07 and the torques screw head holding the plastic clamp around the filter was almost completely rotten away. I would have thought it should have been changed at least two or three times in 90k ‍
Whilst I had it on the ramps at work I decided to raise the rear coilovers a touch just to match the arch to tyre gap front to rear. It looks a little more OE+ now I think.

Attachments

• IMG_2549.jpeg
    IMG_2549.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 55
  • Love
Reactions: Charlie Farley, NM07, Fully and 1 other person