Painted my tail pipes!

RO65ERS

Reaction score
As the title says, Today i removed and painted my tail pipes Matte Black!
I used the thread on how to remove the tail pipes as a guide and it was spot on!

I removed the tail pipes, gave them a quick wash...with 40Grit sand paper! got them scored, but clean and shiny!
i used 3 cans of halford VHT black paint! They looked good after the first coat, but i wanted to be sure!
with the weather we're having today in Plymouth, it didn't take long for them to dry, so they were back on in no time!

IF they do chip, or end up looking gash, i have decided to Plasti Dip them - Plasti dip is good for 300oC, something that these tail pipes will never achieve! So, i might experiment with a few different colours later in the year!

whilst i was under the car, i disconnected the exhaust valves too! cant wait to go for a drive, the quick free rev i gave it sounded ALOT different!

This was a very easy "mod" to do. It kept me occupied for a little bit and I'm pleased with the outcome!

Anyway, in no particular order, here are the pictures!

Please note the nice swirly paint work i got from my dealer wash...
564457 197417910627772 7606458382675436402 n
993582 197417417294488 3200058864717468852 n
1233412 197418017294428 1692346053640377159 n
1918848 197417353961161 8136279823667348545 n
10399657 197417867294443 2248829153767166488 n
10400303 197417947294435 4255937252268907629 n
12321173 197417767294453 3889564733699393572 n
12813954 197417380627825 2095451877000156606 n
12814196 197417713961125 3842877927635154609 n
12814738 197417473961149 7877985248812987808 n

Reactions: illingworth22, Wondering Soul, kanecullen89 and 1 other person
I can't find the link that describes how to remove them. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Good effort, love the new grey wall. How do disconnect the zorst valves? Any pics?

As the title says, Today i removed and painted my tail pipes Matte Black!
I used the thread on how to remove the tail pipes as a guide and it was spot on!

I removed the tail pipes, gave them a quick wash...with 40Grit sand paper! got them scored, but clean and shiny!
i used 3 cans of halford VHT black paint! They looked good after the first coat, but i wanted to be sure!
with the weather we're having today in Plymouth, it didn't take long for them to dry, so they were back on in no time!

IF they do chip, or end up looking gash, i have decided to Plasti Dip them - Plasti dip is good for 300oC, something that these tail pipes will never achieve! So, i might experiment with a few different colours later in the year!

whilst i was under the car, i disconnected the exhaust valves too! cant wait to go for a drive, the quick free rev i gave it sounded ALOT different!

This was a very easy "mod" to do. It kept me occupied for a little bit and I'm pleased with the outcome!

Anyway, in no particular order, here are the pictures!

Please note the nice swirly paint work i got from my dealer wash...View attachment 83733View attachment 83734View attachment 83735View attachment 83736View attachment 83737View attachment 83739View attachment 83740View attachment 83741View attachment 83742View attachment 83743

OMFG..............Lol

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
I can't find the link that describes how to remove them. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-do-you-remove-the-chrome-s3-exhaust-tips.261826/

have a red through that mate!

Good effort, love the new grey wall. How do disconnect the zorst valves? Any pics?
i have no pictures, its very straight forward and there is a how to on here somewhere, just lay under it at the back and you will see the wiring on each side, just a small clip and pull off.

OMFG..............Lol

oh you love it also, yay. thx!

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Sandra
Done a good job there mate, they look good but I don't know if I like them....if that makes sense!?!?!

Is that your garden wall you sprayed them on?

Reactions: pburv
Done a good job there mate, they look good but I don't know if I like them....if that makes sense!?!?!

Is that your garden wall you sprayed them on?

to be honest, I'm not that sure either! but seeing as i get my parts at trade, new ones won't cost me much.
but it looks better than the pitting, but i don't know how well it'll stand up to the pitting and the general grime!

If this fails, ill be getting them back off and as said i might give plastic dip a try!

its just a wall in the street lol, I'm only living her another few weeks - zero facks given.

Reactions: pburv
Ahhh was going to say my Mrs wouldn't be happy with me spraying the wall black :D

I suppose now there is no going back to chrome with those pipes, you have nothing to lose changing colour etc. on them :)

Ahhh was going to say my Mrs wouldn't be happy with me spraying the wall black :D

I suppose now there is no going back to chrome with those pipes, you have nothing to lose changing colour etc. on them :)

if people don't try things, them no one will ever know what happens if you do.
i might go for red for summer!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and Jassyo06
What in the name of the father, the son and the holy ghost did your tailpipes do to upset you??!! :scared2:

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
What in the name of the father, the son and the holy ghost did your tailpipes do to upset you??!! :scared2:

got dirty.

It's not as black as i hoped.
i'm going to get some black plastic dip.

and get more so I can do my wheels too...maybe.

Reactions: Simon L
got dirty.

It's not as black as i hoped.
i'm going to get some black plastic dip.

and get more so I can do my wheels too...maybe.

Why not go matt black,use the existing paint as the undercoat...??

Reactions: Rob2k68
Why not go matt black,use the existing paint as the undercoat...??

when this was applied it was a lovely black, i thought it would look amazing. an hour later once it had dried, it went to this grey colour.
I'm hugely p155ed about it, but it matches the defuser so its not all that bad.

i do plan on going actual black with it, but it'll definitely be plasti dip! so i know the colour will be what the tin ****** says!

in person it looks better than the picture, but yeah, i can admit it didn't go quite to plan, but I'm happy that i tried it.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, pburv and 1 other person
to be honest, I'm not that sure either! but seeing as i get my parts at trade, new ones won't cost me much.
but it looks better than the pitting, but i don't know how well it'll stand up to the pitting and the general grime!

If this fails, ill be getting them back off and as said i might give plastic dip a try!

its just a wall in the street lol, I'm only living her another few weeks - zero facks given.
Are you Bansky the graffiti man...lol:whistle2:

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and sjbarneS3
Nope, not for me. They just look coked up.

Each to their own

At least this will make them easier to clean :D

Brave move and glad you are happy with the outcome. That's all that matters :)

Reactions: RO65ERS, Rob2k68, Simon L and 2 others
Fair play for giving it a go. Like you said, if no one ever tried something how would you know.
Shame they went grey though, I think if they stayed black they'd look a bit better.

Might be an idea to TRY a gloss black paint over this VHT - the matte finish will give you a lovely key and probably ease the temperature issues on the gloss coat?

Reactions: Soulboy, Rob2k68 and pburv
Can't say I'm a fan - BUT well done for doing something different - I have a lot of appreciation for people making cars their own whether I like it or not!

Reactions: RO65ERS, Rob2k68, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Have you been for a drive with the valves open? Would be interested in hearing what you think of it?

Good effort - I reckon a deep glossy black will look better, and also more intentional if that makes sense. Like the pipes are supposed to be black.

As I've said in one of the posts already, when I applied the VHT, it went a lovely black. It dried to this grey. I'm actually happy with it, and I'm pleased that I gave it a go.

I've already ordered some metallic black plasti dip...and the Mrs wanted neon pink. I said she can give it ago on the wheels of one of our other car. It's a black saxo so nothing impressive.

She also went crazy on the s3 badge...

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Have you been for a drive with the valves open? Would be interested in hearing what you think of it?
I've had my valves disconnected for a while. Definite difference in low RPM growl around 1800-2100, downshifts sound a lot nicer as well.

Some people say there's a difference while others don't. A couple of my friends noted the difference in tone and weren't aware I'd done anything, so there is that.

It's shellac nail varnish.
Glittery pink and Glittery purple.

Brave move...I do have a brand new badge already so I was prepared to let her play.

20160315 183213

Reactions: AlexA4Avant, Rob2k68 and pburv
I've had my valves disconnected for a while. Definite difference in low RPM growl around 1800-2100, downshifts sound a lot nicer as well.

Some people say there's a difference while others don't. A couple of my friends noted the difference in tone and weren't aware I'd done anything, so there is that.

From idle to 2200 is a definite difference on the pick up and the over run.
At 85mph there is a bit of drone though, so before my trip to Scotland I will plug them back in!

It's a nice difference imo.

Jesus, definitely not for me. Actually, I'd cry if someone did that to my car
The tail pipes would look ok power coated black though.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Powder coating is tough stuff, it's baked in an oven after its sprayed on.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Cerakote ceramic coating would be a good option. I notice that Milltek have just started offering this and have called it their 'Black Velvet' range :-

43rY9LwD

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Ha Ha somehow I thought not...:hubbahubba:
I had painted it black and it had chipped so I ordered the new badge.

Took the chipped one off and that happened. I'm easy. It's a la
f24da0ec85d8a0ff0677ceedee2f9a5c.jpg

I'd be aiming for this effect.

Desired effect of course.
Again as said previously, it applied as a deep black and when I went back to it an hour later it had dried as the grey.

I will be doing it again.

Reactions: bqik and Martinbanshee
thanks for posting your work!
love the looks without the chrome exhaust tips.

the grill S3 logo in red looks :blink:

Reactions: RO65ERS