Modified OEM Intake - 8V S3

GoPro inside the air filter box, under the air filter.
the induction noise is heavily distorted (sorry)
the turbo noise / dump is awesome!

obviously the noises are a lot louder on here, as its direct in the box.
when its not torrential weather out, ill put the go pro on the bonnet and try to catch it all better.
(it was worth a try)

Reactions: KevS3-, pburv, OliS3 and 2 others
GoPro inside the air filter box, under the air filter.
the induction noise is heavily distorted (sorry)
the turbo noise / dump is awesome!

obviously the noises are a lot louder on here, as its direct in the box.
when its not torrential weather out, ill put the go pro on the bonnet and try to catch it all better.
(it was worth a try)

Was there any water in the box?

Interesting DIY and very well writeup, i ve seen many ppl has done it on mk7 Gti/R but that other panel behind the grill is new. Does tht mean even if u get VWR600 or REVO Carbon front section u have to remove the trim behind the grill as its still blocking the air passage?

Was there any water in the box?
Considering how bad the weather has been, there was evidence of a rain drop or 2, but you'll get that regardless.

I have no fear of it having any amount to worry about.

Interesting DIY and very well writeup, i ve seen many ppl has done it on mk7 Gti/R but that other panel behind the grill is new. Does tht mean even if u get VWR600 or REVO Carbon front section u have to remove the trim behind the grill as its still blocking the air passage?

That is correct

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Salik Sajid
That is correct

If tht trim piece behind the grill is blocking the air passage then i think its blocking the original air passage on the driver side as well? Can u please take/post the pics of ur grill without the trim piece on the driver side as well, would appreciate it

@Salik Sajid that trim on the front grill restricts the inlet pipe on both sides.

The inlet pipe is blocked on the drivers side. So it needs to be cut open and the grill trim either also cut open on the drivers side, or removed.

Here is my grill with it removed.
20160325 112737
20160325 112742

And the cut open restriction is on page 1.

Reactions: pburv and Salik Sajid
Would be epic if anyone can figure this one out...

even if they have got a revised panel, i cant help but think it'll still be slightly restrictive, or its just as open as cutting it yourself.
im not sure they would change it under warranty, and if it was beneficial to have it done, would they not make it a recall?

it could cost to have it changed via the dealer ship.

(my only concerns)

even if they have got a revised panel, i cant help but think it'll still be slightly restrictive, or its just as open as cutting it yourself.
im not sure they would change it under warranty, and if it was beneficial to have it done, would they not make it a recall?

it could cost to have it changed via the dealer ship.

(my only concerns)

So 2016 is revised panel but i cant find any differences from 2014/15 model......i hope anyone do dyno with this trim remove, this way we can tell if its restrictive or not

Interested to know what this upper grille part actually does, ideas on the back of a postcard please ....

For the Asian market the 1.4TFSI even has the outer rings filled in :-
6obGDBm7

CRJF5JA5

Even with what looks to be a very open non restrictive grille even the RS3 has it as you can just about make out on this picture from a last years Geneva motor show :-

foTcrqJn

Reactions: pburv and Salik Sajid
I've seen it advertised as a "support panel" on a non genuine parts site.
quoted direct from partbase it states "8V3853037B cover for radiator grille;"

Reactions: pburv, Salik Sajid and Rob2k68
Done the cutout bit today following your instruction post. Was easy to follow and didnt take too long at all.

Used a hole saw at 1st to take most of it out, then went around the edges with a hacksaw blade. sanded it a little to take off any leftover burrs.

Turned out okay i think :)

12952929 10154073194874110 899345222 o

Reactions: pburv, Salik Sajid, Gazjs and 1 other person
In
Have part number for the revised front panel??
No mate, just a conversation with an Audi master tech, I don't need one for my car so I've not looked into it as I've changed my intake to the vw r600, out of curiosity I'm going to check next week when they are back open for a part number.[/QUOTE]

Did you get the number by any chance?

Would be really nice to have an opened up air scoop - and - being oem . B-)

I've done this today, thanks for the write up. I haven't drove yet but not long till I've got time to have a run. I noticed the stock airbox seems to take air from the engine bay. What are your thoughts on this?

ae88ebc4adbd72d39b0765583fe45ac3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The more I think about it the more it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't another effort from Audi to hide and turbo induction sound

The more I think about it the more it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't another effort from Audi to hide and turbo induction sound

i see that section as aiding engine cooling, with the air passing straight through the left side into the engine bay, more than, taking hot air from the engine bay into the intake.
now with the right hand side open, you're actively creating RAM air to the filter, which is much more efficient.

i did contemplate sealing up the left hand side, so there is no wasted air, but as i cant talk myself out of thinking "engine cooling" I'm not prepared to do so.

Reactions: pburv
i see that section as aiding engine cooling, with the air passing straight through the left side into the engine bay, more than, taking hot air from the engine bay into the intake.
now with the right hand side open, you're actively creating RAM air to the filter, which is much more efficient.

i did contemplate sealing up the left hand side, so there is no wasted air, but as i cant talk myself out of thinking "engine cooling" I'm not prepared to do so.
That is a good point, and I think best left, especially as we're running more power and boost than stock

Reactions: RO65ERS
That is a good point, and I think best left, especially as we're running more power and boost than stock

with increased power and boost, every little helps to keep it cool! . . then again, the yearly average temperature down here is early teens!

Reactions: pburv and SJ43
Thank you for this - done this mod on my 1.8Tfsi, as its got an identical intake. More noise isnt something I got but I have got better response and stronger pull from the lower end. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, S3 Turbo, Salik Sajid and 1 other person
Thank you for this - done this mod on my 1.8Tfsi, as its got an identical intake. More noise isnt something I got but I have got better response and stronger pull from the lower end. Cheers!

get a mate to drive along side you with his windows open, and you boost it away from him.
he will certainly here it!

i found its difficult to hear it in the cabin, but I've had the mrs boost it past me and its hard to miss!

once the weather it better, and i've unpacked at the new house, i will get my go pro on the bonnet, should hopefully hear it more.

Reactions: pburv, SJ43 and S3 Turbo

Hey bro, i really wanted to do this mod but dont want to mess with oem parts. Might go for Revo front carbon section, btw did u remove the other part which sit below this front runner behind the grill?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk

Hey man, to be honest if you take out the part you have to modify/cut out, its quite clear when you see the flow of air it will create that there isnt much negative side-effect that could come from doing it but if you dont want to then fair enough, yep I removed this too.

Reactions: Salik Sajid and S3 Turbo
Hey bro, i really wanted to do this mod but dont want to mess with oem parts. Might go for Revo front carbon section, btw did u remove the other part which sit below this front runner behind the grill?

We

I bought a second hand oem airguide from the scrap yard (if I remember correctly it was from a golf diesel). About 21 pounds including postage. 20 minutes or so exercise with your drilling machine and afterwards the assembly will be just as convenient as with an aftermarket. (Probably more since it is essentially 100% guaranteed to fit)
Personally I would not dare removing the plate behind top row of grille since living in a very wet climate. Probably Sweden and UK are much alike on that aspect :).
But each to their own. According to Rogers it works...

Reactions: pburv, Salik Sajid and SJ43
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
get a mate to drive along side you with his windows open, and you boost it away from him.

i found its difficult to hear it in the cabin, but I've had the mrs boost it past me and its hard to miss!

once the weather it better, and i've unpacked at the new house, i will get my go pro on the bonnet, should hopefully hear it more.

Perhaps this is the difference.

I didn't understand what you were jabbering about with louder spool and everything, but an older guy on bicycle really looked annoyed at me when doing a wot run. (Was not close to him or anything else non traffic safe.)
Also I am aware of the effect from my previous Audi after once hearing it when missus was driving by... :laughing: :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and SJ43

Thanks for the advice there, will definitely have to try this!

Also, hopefully will be purchasing a revo foam filter as well soon to complement this intake mod

Reactions: RO65ERS and Salik Sajid
Great write up RO65ERS, I had already done the opening on the drivers side, but I have also closed the engine side. What I was missing was the removal of the grill piece. Have done that now. Will monitor the change in sound. Initial feel is that its a lot more responsive.

MY theory about the engine side vent is that its a venturi effect and that it sucks in engine side air as well. so that warms the air, when all you want is cold air. There is enough other cooling happening. With the grill piece blocking both sides, there was probably not much in terms of air flow to the engine anyway and the venturi effect was maximal as front air was minimal.

I did a similar mod to my Seat Leon Cupra and it worked liked a charm. That is block off the engine side vent. Hope what I am saying makes sense.

Reactions: RO65ERS
The weather this afternoon in the Midlands (UK) has been horrendous, so much rain!
0d3424db0539ad2749d79d2770fc6f8f.jpg

Look abit like this picture off google just to give you an idea. But a lot of standing water splashing towards the car etc you get the picture anyway.

So after a 1 hour motorway/highway journey home I needed to fill up and also wanted to take the opportunity to open up my airbox and see whether I've had any water has entered my airbox. Result was nothing, a completely dry airbox. My air filter was completely dry too. Just thought I'd let everyone know :)

Reactions: dp_motley, Damo S, umm and 4 others
Great write up RO65ERS, I had already done the opening on the drivers side, but I have also closed the engine side. What I was missing was the removal of the grill piece. Have done that now. Will monitor the change in sound. Initial feel is that its a lot more responsive.

MY theory about the engine side vent is that its a venturi effect and that it sucks in engine side air as well. so that warms the air, when all you want is cold air. There is enough other cooling happening. With the grill piece blocking both sides, there was probably not much in terms of air flow to the engine anyway and the venturi effect was maximal as front air was minimal.

I did a similar mod to my Seat Leon Cupra and it worked liked a charm. That is block off the engine side vent. Hope what I am saying makes sense.

What would the benefit be for the intake of blocking off the engine side, in your opinion? I thought about patching it to the air box as opposed to just blocking it off

The weather this afternoon in the Midlands (UK) has been horrendous, so much rain!

Look abit like this picture off google just to give you an idea. But a lot of standing water splashing towards the car etc you get the picture anyway.

So after a 1 hour motorway/highway journey home I needed to fill up and also wanted to take the opportunity to open up my airbox and see whether I've had any water has entered my airbox. Result was nothing, a completely dry airbox. My air filter was completely dry too. Just thought I'd let everyone know :)

Great to hear that. Just bear in mind the bit you removed at the bottom of the air box is supposed to prevent snow from going into the system. So its designed to handle water if it gets in. I am sure this mod won't damage anything

What would the benefit be for the intake of blocking off the engine side, in your opinion? I thought about patching it to the air box as opposed to just blocking it off

My theory is that its sucking in warm air from the engine and what you need is the colder external air. Blocking it off for the past 3000km has made no difference to engine temps, or performance at all.

Reactions: Max-Robbo
I think I know what you mean/have done - but personally I'd leave jt open as it can allow more airflow into the airbox (and engine). I'm no expert but thats my 2 pence. In the uk we never really have 'hot' weather too. In hotter climates it could be something to definitely consider though.

Reactions: Salik Sajid and S3 Turbo
I think I know what you mean/have done - but personally I'd leave jt open as it can allow more airflow into the airbox (and engine). I'm no expert but thats my 2 pence. In the uk we never really have 'hot' weather too. In hotter climates it could be something to definitely consider though.

+1

Neither an expert but just wouldn't gamble with blocking off the cooling of engine compartment.
Sure the VAG engineers had a reason.
And if doing the other intake mods discussed you're surely get cold intake air anyway. For further cooling I would rather consider an IC. :)

Reactions: SJ43 and RO65ERS

Great to hear someone else has been and checked inside the air box.
The weather has been as your picture describes and I have been keeping an eye on my filter and box too! ... dry.

Reactions: pburv, Max-Robbo, S3 Turbo and 1 other person
+1

Neither an expert but just wouldn't gamble with blocking off the cooling of engine compartment.
Sure the VAG engineers had a reason.
And if doing the other intake mods discussed you're surely get cold intake air anyway. For further cooling I would rather consider an IC. :)

Just remember, there are no direct fit coolers available at the moment. They all require modifications.

Just remember, there are no direct fit coolers available at the moment. They all require modifications.

u mean direct fit intercoolers or FMIC, Forge, Wagner, APR and Revo all make direct fit for mqb model....FMIC available for Golf Gti/R only

Interested to know what this upper grille part actually does, ideas on the back of a postcard please ....

For the Asian market the 1.4TFSI even has the outer rings filled in :-
6obGDBm7

CRJF5JA5
Aero would be my guess. The less air you have entering the engine bay the slippier the car - just have a look at 'eco' models from most makes and they blank off as much of the engine bay opening as possible.

Reactions: Rob2k68