Flickering MMI and Heating Controls

David_B9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a A4 B9, 2.0 TDI Quattro Auto and was wondering if there was a software update to resolve the flickering displays.

Thanks

Dave

The display area above the touch controls for the heating flickers whenever the MMI flickers so you could be in NAV mode or RADIO and the display flickers, at first people thought it might have something to do with the light sensor...but who knows

Dave

That sounds annoying! Not picking up my A4 until next month but didn't notice this on the A4 I borrowed for a demonstrator. Have you taken it to the dealer at all?

Thats going to be the next thing i do, like you say its annoying plus i need to get my Audi Connect extended, my 3 months expired some time back.

I think people have had better luck contacting Audi UK directly to get Connect extended, but probably worth starting with the dealer for both issues.

Mine flickers. I'm getting the car booked in for the broken microphone and will ask the dealer about this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flickering mmi screen is a well known issue. For me it's only visible in certain light. I think it's improved by setting the mmi screen to full brightness. It does seem like the mmi ambient light sensor is hunting between levels, almost seems like there is not enough detailed brightness level steps so the it appears to be flickering when its just changin brightness levels. Just my opinion.

I booked it into the dealer a few weeks ago with these 3 annoyances.

- Flickering mmi screen as described.
- Ambient temp display sometimes reads 0 degrees or lower when it's clearly a hot summers day. This seems to be getting more frequent.
- Radio logos don't display on mmi screen.

When I collected the car the next day, the service rep literally said "we'll done, you've found all of the issues that we are waiting for software updates to cure"

The car checked out fine with no faults when in the service bay.

He was able to show me other incident paperwork for the same faults. Just a case that they are waiting for software fixes.

Compete waste of time apart from getting the car cleaned! Oh and being able to test drive a brand new A6 for a day. Didn't like it, feels heavy and cumbersome compared to next gen A4 and seems dated inside in comparison.

Save yourself the time and effort, unless anything serious is wrong with the car then no point in booking it in under warranty.

He did say we will contact me when the software updates are avaliable, I dodnt hold out too much hope though.

Regards renewing audi connect subscription, good luck! Please see my posts in the relevant thread. I'm still trying with no luck.

Reactions: Rob_F
Strange that it's a software update when its not affecting all cars... The Flicking and Temp both sound like dodgy sensors.

I only seem to see the mmi screen flicker once every few weeks it seems. Might get more frequent now the summer sun and long light days have gone.

I've never seen the heating control screen flicker by the way.

Regards the temperature display issue, if it was a sensor I'd expect it to be a more frequent fault or remain degraded for a period of time. But no such pattern. If it gets worse and happens more often then I'll start to suspect the sensor.

Des anyone know where the sensor is located?

Good luck with the faults. I collected my first ever Audi A4 avant s line ?3 weeks ago and to say I'm not impressed would be an understatement. Been back to dealer already for the exact same faults and also a loud knocking noise which apparently is a known issue but Audi have no fix as yet and now the electric lumber adjustment on driver seat has packed in. Not impressed with after sales as car was ordered 2 months ago and got a car that was built in Feb so no front parking sensors but paid the new price. While in with dealer I was told they performed a software update but MMI is still showing version 113 don't know where to go from here.

Hi Peter,

Do you have the temp display issue as well?

Where does the knocking noise seem like its originating from, engine, suspension, interior?

From what I can find online 113 is latest mmi software.

The car has been great apart from the minor niggles I've mentioned, hope you grow to love yours.

No temp display problem. The knocking comes from the drivers side footwell and it's a known issue with Audi but they have no fix for it. TBH all these issues have soured my taste a bit with Audi and there after sales ain't great. Car is going back to them tomorrow and staying with them until they either fix it or replace it not acceptable in a 3 week old car. According to what I can find out the latest software version is 333 I think tho could be wrong.

Let us know how you get on at the dealer. Good luck.

We will see I won't hold my breath it's a pity Audi themselves don't look at forums as I'm sure they wouldn't be happy the way some things are handled by dealers.

Ok a little update my car has been with the dealers fo the past 2 weeks and still is not fixed. I have a meeting in the morning with the sales manager and he wants proof that there was a price increase from my16 (which my car is) and my17. Can't seem to find an Audi my16 price list anywhere and if anyone can help I would be very great full. Find the lack of wanting to sort this out by Audi a bit disturbing.

I have a MY16 brochure which has prices in it. What model / trim / engine was it? I can upload some photos of relevant pages for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a MY16 brochure which has prices in it. What model / trim / engine was it? I can upload some photos of relevant pages for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Happy days thanks. It's a 2.0 TDI s line avant

If it helps - the price increase from MY16 - MY17 was that the Parking System + became standard. It's a £395 option

Hi Peter, have you had any luck with resolving your issues? Flickering mmi screen, misreading temp display and the auto clock time not staying set.

I can't find an answer via the dealer, they've had the car twice now but still not resolved.

Well it's been a long saga but the car ended up at the dealers for a month so after a few meetings and arguments the car was rejected and new one ordered which is now due at the end of this month. I have my old car back now and the knocking is fixed but the flickering and other mmi issues persist so not worth taking this any further as the car is being replaced. My company has now taken AUDI off its list of vechile choice due the lack of customer service and the issues that I have had. I think that speaks for itself.

I think there was a software update to fix all those specific issues, there's been posts on the forum about it and those who had the update said these issues were fixed.

Well it's been a long saga but the car ended up at the dealers for a month so after a few meetings and arguments the car was rejected and new one ordered which is now due at the end of this month. I have my old car back now and the knocking is fixed but the flickering and other mmi issues persist so not worth taking this any further as the car is being replaced. My company has now taken AUDI off its list of vechile choice due the lack of customer service and the issues that I have had. I think that speaks for itself.

I've had poor customer service before with my local audi. Jct600 is at least a 2 hour drive for me but I've now had 3 cars from them. For me it's not just an audi, it's the whole experience that gets my money. I also find that because the warranty work isn't carried out by the sale dealer, they seem more thorough in fixing faults.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk