Flat Bottom Steering Wheel Retrofit

samuelh_888

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for creating a new threat is one already exists. I'm thinking of retrofitting my MFSW with an S-Line flat bottom wheel, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261801485175.

Is this a straight forward swap? Is the eBay price ok or too ££?

I have an '09 reg Sportback, is this a Dual Stage airbag or a Single Stage airbag?

Thanks
Sam

Hey Sam. I added this steering wheel to my watch list. I have a question though. Is this steering wheel same size as the old one? It looks smaller on a picture. I ride an 2012 A3 SE and there's a standard 4-spoke steering wheel. It feels a little big after 9 years on Seat Toledo which has smaller and thicker wheel. Do you have a possibility and time to measure the wheel diameter?

£550 for a steering wheel!! Been looking at getting one myself but I'd be lucky to pay half that amount.

£550 for a steering wheel!! Been looking at getting one myself but I'd be lucky to pay half that amount.

The steering wheel itself is cheap, the real cost is the airbag.

Totally agree. But as DJX2991 says, it's the airbag that cost so much. Anyway, I'd consider swapping the wheel if it was smaller than my SE one.

Reactions: Sherv
Hi All, the advert mentions it includes the Dual Stage airbag (he also has single stage too) - I have a Sportback but I'm not sure whether I need single or dual stage.

@dp_motley, I can't comment on the size compare to standard sorry. I like the FBMFSW as my thighs hit the standard s-line wheel - maybe be flat profile will give an impression of being smaller?!

Hi All, the advert mentions it includes the Dual Stage airbag (he also has single stage too) - I have a Sportback but I'm not sure whether I need single or dual stage.

@dp_motley, I can't comment on the size compare to standard sorry. I like the FBMFSW as my thighs hit the standard s-line wheel - maybe be flat profile will give an impression of being smaller?!

Read my first reply, it will fit and function.

Totally agree. But as DJX2991 says, it's the airbag that cost so much. Anyway, I'd consider swapping the wheel if it was smaller than my SE one.

Yea I've heard thats what bumps up the cost. Wonder if I could get one from one of the local scrappies. Get my pal whos a mechanic to remove.

I've just started looking into this. I have a 57 reg 8p with a mfsw and want a flat bottom one. I know if I get the right one it's a straight swap so my question is do I need to get a flat bottom wheel that has a dual stage airbag?
I've seen the ones for the 8v model are single stage airbags so I'm assuming I need to avoid one of these
If what I'm saying is correct does anyone know a part number for a round dual stage airbag as I have found a second hand flat bottom wheel with no airbag from a 2011 s line.

I've just started looking into this. I have a 57 reg 8p with a mfsw and want a flat bottom one. I know if I get the right one it's a straight swap so my question is do I need to get a flat bottom wheel that has a dual stage airbag?
I've seen the ones for the 8v model are single stage airbags so I'm assuming I need to avoid one of these
If what I'm saying is correct does anyone know a part number for a round dual stage airbag as I have found a second hand flat bottom wheel with no airbag from a 2011 s line.

Hi @ab1702, in the description of the ebay advert I posted (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261801485175?clk_rvr_id=1123706565017&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true) it mentions that this auction is for the wheel and the dual stage airbag, with the part number too (8J0 880 201 N 6PS). I'm not sure if this dual stage airbag part number is the same across the line.

I think I've read somewhere that all Sportbacks are dual stage but it would be great to have that confirmed.

Regards
Sam

Hi @ab1702, in the description of the ebay advert I posted (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261801485175?clk_rvr_id=1123706565017&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true) it mentions that this auction is for the wheel and the dual stage airbag, with the part number too (8J0 880 201 N 6PS). I'm not sure if this dual stage airbag part number is the same across the line.

I think I've read somewhere that all Sportbacks are dual stage but it would be great to have that confirmed.

Regards
Sam

From what I've read but I'm not 100% sure I think the 8p a3's are dual stage airbags and I think the newer 8v a3's are single stage airbags although the flat bottom wheels for both of them look exactly the same

Sorry I refer to the Sportback as that what I have and am looking for the FBMFSW for. From other posts in the Forum, 8P Sportbacks are dual stage and 8P 3-doors are single stage (dunno about cabriolets). The 8V is single stage but I can't find any info on whether both the 3 & 5 door 8V is single stage. There is so much information I just don't want to make a mistake.

Last edited:
Sorry I refer to the Sportback as that what I have and am looking for the FBMFSW for. From other posts in the Forum, 8P Sportbacks are dual stage and 8P 3-doors are single stage (dunno about cabriolets). The 8V is single stage but I can't find any info on whether both the 3 & 5 door 8V is single stage. There is so much information I just don't want to make a mistake.

Nah I'm pretty sure your wrong there mate, if it's an 8p with an airbag that sticks out shaped a bit like a shield then it's dual stage whether it's 3 or 5 door. If you get a wheel for a new model(8v) then it's a single stage airbag which the wheel that it comes from has more multifunction buttons and won't work on a 8p. Also the old wheels which may be from the early 8p's or even 8l's which look totally different and have a fairly flat airbag are single stage aswell.

Good information. Thanks for this!

After doing a bit of research tonight the wheel in your first post is definitely the one you(and I) need with that dual stage airbag although that one seems a bit expensive to me.. but I suppose it is brand new.

This is what you don't need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182319160109
If you look at the wheel it has more buttons on it to press which doesn't work with an 8p and these are the ones with a single stage airbag

Yep, that's the one I don't want.

I think I'll order the one in my OP. Just not confident in fitting it myself.

Yep, that's the one I don't want.

I think I'll order the one in my OP. Just not confident in fitting it myself.

If you've got the tools to do it then go for it as it's only a swap. If you do a google search rather than searching on here then you will find instructions on how to do it and probably even a YouTube video. I say to do a google search as I think the search on here is a bit naff and a google search always brings up threads off here anyway

Reactions: samuelh_888
Yeah just to confirm all 8P from 2005 with the shield looking airbags are dual stage. The reason people say that all sport backs are dual stage is because the 8P sport back never came out with a single stage wheel.
The earlier 2003-2004 8Ps were single stage and that's when they changed over to dual stage.

The 8V is single stage, so avoid getting one of those, plus there are too many buttons on the wheel so the car won't be able to communicate with those buttons making it useless in an 8P.

I have 2 new flat bottoms going into the 8Ps this week... One of the 8P is a 2004 and the other is a 2011... Check out my Instagram to see what's going on... https://instagram.com/audi_retrofits/

Reactions: samuelh_888
I will post it in for sale at some stage. I have one of these available for sale as I got an RS3 one out of a wreck and am using that now.

Excluding airbag as im using that. TT DSG MF. Photo below is of exact wheel.

steeringwheel_zps0goyxnj8.jpg

Here is a side by side comparison with RS3 if anyone is interested (I put in blank plate below the airbag and removed RS3 plate).

IMG_2782_zps6gcmolg4.jpg

What car is it coming from?
They normally will be from an A4/A5 so will need repinning.
Hi Ash,
I've asked the seller the same but haven't got a reply yet I'm afraid. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.
Thank you.

For those looking for round airbags allegro.pl seems to be the definite place to pick up one at a reasonable price (sub £200). There’s a seller airbag.pl who seem to be recommended in other forums. Allegro also has lots of flat bottoms so worth a look!

What car is it coming from?
They normally will be from an A4/A5 so will need repinning.

The seller finally got back. It’s from a 2015 A4 S-Line. I assume that it won’t be a straight swap and would require re-pinning? I’ve done lots of retrofit by myself but this one I really don’t want to as it’s a safety feature!

Ash,

Is this a 8V steering wheel (you mentioned above 8V are single stage so it cant be?) or is it an 8P wheel made to look like an 8V with the buttons style?

This wheel is from an A4/A5 as it has the Mode button at the top on the left and therefore dual stage. The 8V would have the <> arrows on the top left and single stage. This is not an 8P wheel made to look like the current.

Correct. The trick is to spot the mode button.
On a side note, a former colleague of mine just picked up an MG soft top convertible (mid engine, RWD) for £400 from eBay and I can’t even find a steering wheel combo for less than £450
Should just buy a new car instead!

This wheel is from an A4/A5 as it has the Mode button at the top on the left and therefore dual stage. The 8V would have the <> arrows on the top left and single stage. This is not an 8P wheel made to look like the current.
Ah, that clears my question nicely!
Cheers for that! :thumbs up:

Correct. The trick is to spot the mode button.
On a side note, a former colleague of mine just picked up an MG soft top convertible (mid engine, RWD) for £400 from eBay and I can’t even find a steering wheel combo for less than £450
Should just buy a new car instead!

LOL! The struggle is real! :blownose:

Just read through the whole thread...very useful info indeed!
One question I didn’t see answered however, if my current steering wheel has the paddles (dsg), will the module still need upgrading?

Reason I ask is because my MK5 Golf GTi had paddles and i managed to fit the multi function buttons straight in without changing anything else

The wheel has nothing to do with single or dual stage... that’s the airbag!
The wheel is more to do with the button language. The mode on the top works on 8Ps, the <> does not.

Reactions: Omy193