rear wiper motor

darrant1234

Reaction score
Hi, my rear wiper has started working with a mind of its own etc and stopping in the middle of the window. For now I've pulled the fuse so its not annoying me. I've managed to get the wiper arm off but I'm struggling to get the boot liner off to get to the motor. Is there a knack to this? I've tried pulled down really hard on the corners but not tried a screw driver and prising yet as I don't want to damage the paint or plastic. is there a removal tool for it?

You have removed the 4 screws? If so pull like crazy :)

I've removed the 2 torx screws? I couldn't see anymore. Forgot to mention its a hatch back 3 door.

Haaa mines the sportback and has 2 screws in the handles, and 2 behind the access for the inner boot lights

so it looks like I just need to pull harder then, I'll give it another go tonight.

First time I did mine had to pull really hard! Ended up whacking myself in the head...

Reactions: DJ_26
As already posted, just brute force is required!
I guess you've read around and know a new motor is required?
Its a design flaw: in time the pipe carrying washer fluid through the motor corrodes and then each time you wash the rear screen fluid gets pumped into the motor itself with inevitable results after a while....that of the motor apparently developing a mind of its own!
Best source for an OEM motor is Amazon, my motor went last summer and the Valeo one sourced from there at £60 was identical in every way to the Valeo factory-fitted one I removed.

As above once you've got the screws out just pull like hell.
I also agree with getting the valeo motor, I got my replacement from euro car parts and originally got the cheaper version which didn't work properly and sounded like a tractor so ended up taking it back and putting extra towards it to get the valeo one which is identical to the original.

thanks for the response, I'll pull like mad tonight and see if it will come loose. I don't want to order the part until I've got the trim off. I'll take a look at the valeo ones.

Seriously, buy the Valeo one off Amazon.
It's identical in every way to the factory-fitted Valeo motor and cost just over £60 last summer.
The cheapest Genuine motor I could find was on eBay from Cardiff Audi at £85.
The Genuine one would've been the identical motor but in a Genuine parts box at £25 more.
I dismantled my wiper motor (out of curiosity) and sure enough it was horrible inside, here's also a pic of the box the new motor came in.
Edit, I see that Euro Car Parts are also listing the Valeo motor at just over £100 but even with one of their ubiquitous discount codes it only brings the price down to about £68, still more than Amazon.
I should add that my new motor works perfectly, just don't do what I did when fitting it and think Id been sent a dud!
I tried the new motor (before putting trim back in place etc) by having the hatch open and found the wiper wouldn't work!
I then discovered the rear wiper won't operate unless the rear tailgate is in the closed position......

Attachments

• IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    961.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    786.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: DJ_26
Is it easy to actually replace the motor itself?

Once the hatch trim is off (a few screws and a few hefty pulls on the plastic tailgate lining) its merely a single electrical plug to disconnect and then 3 small bolts holding the motor in, plus of course the washer fluid pipe needs pulling off the old motor.
Changing the actual motor itself shouldn't take any more than 5 mins tops, it's incredibly easy to change.
Taking off and replacing the hatch trim take far longer!!!
As mentioned either here or in another thread ( can't remember which) the wiper arm itself can be a swine to remove as it is a splined taper fit onto the motor spindle.
To avoid risk of damaging the tailgate glass it's best to buy a small puller to remove the arm, I know when I did mine it needed a surprising amount of force to get the arm off so I was really glad I had a suitable puller to hand.

Last edited:
I've had the trim off a fair few times changing bulbs so that but I'm fine with.

Cheers mate