Fault/misfire under load

coreythorny

Reaction score
Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same.

Whilst out earlier, 3rd gear starting to accelerate uphill, full load, I got to ~4krpm and the car badly misfired and rev needle jumped.
Now I've had this before and istantly backed off and presumed coil pack shot. But this time I have no engine management light and no fault codes stored.

When the coil went last time I only replaced the faulty one as it gave me the full code for cyclinder 2. My car is a 57 plate with 59k miles now so I've already ordered a new set as to to be fair, I was being cheap last time and should have replaced them all out of good practice.

I'm just curious this time as to why I have no fault. Idle is 100%, starts perfect, drives perfects off full boost.
What I do find weird is, if I Rev the car in neutral (lightly) it gets to 4K rpm the misses and the Rev needle bounces from 4-2k.

Bit worrying as it sounds horrible. I'm hoping the coils will be a straight fix but was after any suggestions where to look if they don't resolve the issue.
Sparks are replaced annually also and only done in October so I doubt it's that.

Thanks.

Usual misfire cause is coil packs or plugs and neither cause warnings usually either.

Revs are limited to 4K in neutral.

Usual misfire cause is coil packs or plugs and neither cause warnings usually either.

Revs are limited to 4K in neutral.

Yeah I have had one gone before but it was different. It was like hitting the rev limiter.

Been doing some more questioning elsewhere and found someone had a very very similar issue with a video of it. His was the G28 engine speed sensor.

I'm hoping it's not that but it sounds more likely.

Reactions: S3Alex
I don't suppose anyone knows the part number for the engine/crank speed sensor (G28).

I'm finding a few online including some Bosch ones.

why not log the channels mentioned in the link to see if it is a coil/plug miss fire first, it doesnt always put the light on but the miss fire will show.

why not log the channels mentioned in the link to see if it is a coil/plug miss fire first, it doesnt always put the light on but the miss fire will show.

I don't have access to VCDS or Vagcom unfortunately.

Going on from what happened like time I had a coil going, it was rapid misfiring under load. This time it's different, it's like the engines trying to stall. Not the best way to diagnose faults I know but looking at a few videos of G28 faults its identical symptoms.

why not find a member local that can help, has to be cheaper then randomly changing parts,
the fact you have changed just one coil pack, and I bet the rest were the same age as the old one that went faulty, would point towards another failing imo.

why not find a member local that can help, has to be cheaper then randomly changing parts,
the fact you have changed just one coil pack, and I bet the rest were the same age as the old one that went faulty, would point towards another failing imo.

I appreciate that but unfortunately nobody is listed around me. The coil packs are already ordered, as like you say I should have replaced them all originally. But I'm no longer confident it is that.

As it only happens under load I would tend to lean towards guessing plugs and then coils - in that order. In my experience coils tend to "play up" more when hot. A failing "timing" sensor would not tend to be restricted just when the engine is under load. An outside option would also be a fuel filter. Good luck

As it only happens under load I would tend to lean towards guessing plugs and then coils - in that order. In my experience coils tend to "play up" more when hot. A failing "timing" sensor would not tend to be restricted just when the engine is under load. An outside option would also be a fuel filter. Good luck

Yeah I appreciate that. But I don't think coils would cause the issue if lightly revving the engine in neutral. Coils and plugs are en route so obviously I'll do them first.