Ceramic Coating Detailing

Jon Roach

Reaction score
Come on then folks.... want to get her ceramic coated, ideally Gtechniq as seen some fantastic results.

Found a well respected and praised chap near me and been quoted £450 for stage 1 correction and Gtechniq coating to paintwork and 625 for wheels and glass also.

Like I say, love the results I've seen but my spending alarm is ringing

Anyone else had theirs coated? Is wheels and glass worth it for nearly another £200?

I know is all subjective but thoughts/comments appreciated .

Cheers
Jon

If it helps I'm getting mine done 2nd week of April, going for Gtechniq CS Black along with interior, glass and wheels.

Reactions: RickyB and Jon Roach
If it helps I'm getting mine done 2nd week of April, going for Gtechniq CS Black along with interior, glass and wheels.

Cheers mate, you have to post pics of results.....

Reactions: Tom.H
Yes. It's very much worth it.

IMG 0785

Reactions: Jon Roach and Rob2k68
Wowzer!!!
Quite...

The best thing about it wasn't even considered when I had it done, and that's the simplification and time saving it generates. My bags of cloths, chemicals, and magic lotions is now reduced to a mere handful of essentials, and restoring the car to that level of super shine from looking like it's been dug up takes only an hour at the weekend.

Snow foam - jet wash- two bucket wash with Gtechniq G-wash - rinse - towel dry. If required a quick wipe over with Gtechniq QD and its done.

Reactions: Jon Roach, Rob2k68 and Tom.H
A related question, how do you know if your car has actually been coated? As opposed to just professionally waxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on then folks.... want to get her ceramic coated, ideally Gtechniq as seen some fantastic results.

Found a well respected and praised chap near me and been quoted £450 for stage 1 correction and Gtechniq coating to paintwork and 625 for wheels and glass also.

Like I say, love the results I've seen but my spending alarm is ringing

Anyone else had theirs coated? Is wheels and glass worth it for nearly another £200?

I know is all subjective but thoughts/comments appreciated .

Cheers
Jon

Hi Jon,

That price is pretty steep, but is common. I can get a Gtechniq detail done at Midlands Car Care for £350, with full paint correction.

£200 extra for glass and wheels is insane!! My experience with the wheel coatings is no, they don't tend to last in my experience and are sensitive to wheel cleaners. Glass, YES! The glass is a must, but what I recommend is Carbon Collective Platinum Glass, its £20 a bottle and that's enough for 3 cars. It works very well for 12 months, with ease, perfectly clear windows all the time. You can apply that, use the soft applicator and just apply in straight lines across the windows. 2 minute settling time, buff off and keep your windows up for 24 hours.
But, avoid having the windscreen done with glass coatings as they tend to cause the wipers to jump and squeak, terrible. Plus, the screen will be clearer with wipers on always.

Regards,
Matt.

Reactions: Rob2k68
A related question, how do you know if your car has actually been coated? As opposed to just professionally waxed.

Thats going to be difficult, as the effects will be very similliar with a good wax... it comes down to durability. I'd trust reputable dealers that they are applying them.

Hi Jon,

That price is pretty steep, but is common. I can get a Gtechniq detail done at Midlands Car Care for £350, with full paint correction.

£200 extra for glass and wheels is insane!! My experience with the wheel coatings is no, they don't tend to last in my experience and are sensitive to wheel cleaners. Glass, YES! The glass is a must, but what I recommend is Carbon Collective Platinum Glass, its £20 a bottle and that's enough for 3 cars. It works very well for 12 months, with ease, perfectly clear windows all the time. You can apply that, use the soft applicator and just apply in straight lines across the windows. 2 minute settling time, buff off and keep your windows up for 24 hours.
But, avoid having the windscreen done with glass coatings as they tend to cause the wipers to jump and squeak, terrible. Plus, the screen will be clearer with wipers on always.

Regards,
Matt.

Would strongly disagree with the wheel coatings. Ceramic coating on the alloys is an absolute must for me. Its the area which gets dirtiest the quickest, and the high temps can make it a real chore to clean. Ceramic coating on alloys will last just as well as the paintwork and the whole point is you can avoid very harsh wheel cleaners. I only use shampoo and my assortment of wheel woolies and brushes and they come up like new.

However I would just say save £200 and do it yourself. Its no hard and I find it very therapeutic.

Reactions: batch, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Would strongly disagree with the wheel coatings. Ceramic coating on the alloys is an absolute must for me. Its the area which gets dirtiest the quickest, and the high temps can make it a real chore to clean. Ceramic coating on alloys will last just as well as the paintwork and the whole point is you can avoid very harsh wheel cleaners. I only use shampoo and my assortment of wheel woolies and brushes and they come up like new.

However I would just say save £200 and do it yourself. Its no hard and I find it very therapeutic.

Well, I had gtechniq applied to my fiesta wheels... I sold the fiesta a week after the detail was finished, for an unplanned A3 change haha.
I have used carbon collective coatings on the car, only the glass is worthy of recommendation and the wheel coating didn't last at all.

Maybe I will look into a wheel coating then. At the moment I am using chemical guys wheel soap and it's great, very good for a safe cleaner. I will admit I used the dreaded wonder wheels on the weekend which is a very good but strong cleaner, to get rid of any remaining winter grime (wheels off job). Also used the wheel soap on the arches after drenching of snow foam, like new.. would have never guessed we had a winter :p

Have no experience of carbon collective, but was impressed with Gtechniq C5 and CarPro DLUX. One I want to try is Liquid Elements R-Evolve, as I've heard that it can be out perform Gtechniq.

Have no experience of carbon collective, but was impressed with Gtechniq C5 and CarPro DLUX. One I want to try is Liquid Elements R-Evolve, as I've heard that it can be out perform Gtechniq.

I wouldn't bother, the durability won't stretch past a few weeks for visible effects.

One I'm waiting to have applied is Gyeon, that is a name that has grown very quickly. I've had some issues my PPF applied, so my detailer is going to put a coating of Gyeon Durabead on free of charge.

when you get your car professionally gtechnic by a trained and aurthised gtechniq detailer,once done there is a small sticker that usually gets placed inside the windscreen with your unique number on it that ties in with your 7 year garentee.
I had my A3 done last week, outside,inside,glass,wheels,callipers,exhaust tips.
There's a big difference.

when you get your car professionally gtechnic by a trained and aurthised gtechniq detailer,once done there is a small sticker that usually gets placed inside the windscreen with your unique number on it that ties in with your 7 year garentee.
I had my A3 done last week, outside,inside,glass,wheels,callipers,exhaust tips.
There's a big difference.

You get the sticker just by buying the gtechniq kit

Do it yourself and save a good few hundred quid, it's not that difficult to apply, also the ceramic coating may last a few years, but these aquaphobic solutions don't last, like EXO2, EXO3 you'll be lucky to get a year's wear from these, so l would recommend the ceramic coating only

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
I wouldn't bother, the durability won't stretch past a few weeks for visible effects.

One I'm waiting to have applied is Gyeon, that is a name that has grown very quickly. I've had some issues my PPF applied, so my detailer is going to put a coating of Gyeon Durabead on free of charge.
GYEON l have heard that there products don't last ie they lack durability especially there ceramic coatings, Ultimate finish stopped selling all there kits,due to negative feedback from customers,kamikaze kit is the one to get mate

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
GYEON l have heard that there products don't last ie they lack durability especially there ceramic coatings, Ultimate finish stopped selling all there kits,due to negative feedback from customers,kamikaze kit is the one to get mate

Looks like Ultimate Finish no longer stock Gyeon products across the board so check out the reviews on Polished Bliss.

The MOHS+ is guaranteed for 5 years and is available only to certified detailers. Each coat imparts a 0.2 micron thick protective coating which significantly improves scratch resistance of the underlying finish. Usually there are two coats followed by a third coat of Q2 Phobic which is a hybrid film of perhydropolysilazane and organopolysilazane for crazy beading.

I agree any product commercially available you may as well have a go at it yourself weather permitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
I'd strongly advise against applying some ceramic coatings by yourself, most are professional only applications and can leave the paint in a right old state if not applied correctly.

I've seen a video of a Range Rover a year after being treated with Gtechniq and the water runs off the car as fast as it's sprayed on.

I'd say unless you want to fully machine polish your car then it is worth paying, I'm yet to see a new car that doesn't need some form of paint correction.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jon Roach and Rob2k68
It is 100% worth it and I will be getting black serum on my S3 when the time comes

I had cquartz on my Scirocco R from September 2015 and it was as good as the day it went on (sold it 2 weeks ago)

IMG 1276

Reactions: SPIKE_, Jon Roach, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I'd strongly advise against applying some ceramic coatings by yourself, most are professional only applications and can leave the paint in a right old state if not applied correctly.

Again l am going to disagree with you My car is proof it can be done,crystal serum light and EXO v3 are for the enthusiast, it's a simple job, prep paint work =gtechniq panel wipe,apply the crystal serum on one panel at a time allow to semi cure,curing time will depend on the ambient temperature buff off its a little grabby at this stage and it does take a few hours to totally cure,after that apply whatever aquaphobic solution you want on top, EXO2 is applied with the same regime as crystal serum,all the products you need including quality applicators/microfiber cloths can be purchased for around £120

gtechniq panel wipe is a God send incase you mess up on any part of the car, a simple spray and wipe will remove any excess coating before it finally cures

I have no issues with Carbon Collective, been on mine a year and a quick Top up with their new "Hybrid" last weekend brought it right back on form. I applied it myself too, must say I was quite chuffed with it.

So think I'm sold..... anyone got any recommendation of quality detailers around Peterborough area?

Stage 1 machine polished then coated with Gtechniq ceramic. I always thought these coatings were a gimmick and waste of money but I can honestly say it's been great. My paintwork has no marks now after 4 months of washing and drying etc.
IMG 8386

IMG 8383

Reactions: tele2050, Rob2k68, thedan29 and 3 others
Stage 1 machine polished then coated with Gtechniq ceramic. I always thought these coatings were a gimmick and waste of money but I can honestly say it's been great. My paintwork has no marks now after 4 months of washing and drying etc. View attachment 119908
View attachment 119909

Looks amazing, may I ask how much you paid?

So think I'm sold..... anyone got any recommendation of quality detailers around Peterborough area?

I'm in Bedford and am using a guy up Lincoln way, White Details, he's on Instagram and Facebook.

Reactions: Rob2k68, DrEskimo and Jon Roach
I had mine done by a guy i know an trust £400 all in including interior guard

Attachments

• IMG_3258.PNG
    IMG_3258.PNG
    409 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3259.PNG
    IMG_3259.PNG
    444.3 KB · Views: 332
I'm in Bedford and am using a guy up Lincoln way, White Details, he's on Instagram and Facebook.

Love watching his YouTube channel too. Some great music and editing, as well as invaluable advice.

Heard he has a rather long waiting list....!

I booked him in December and he was already booking for mid April! Not sure if you saw the DB11 he had in? Went in for a new car prep but the paint was shocking due to the owner. He's had to reschedule it for August!

Jassy I believe only the detailer can order you crystal serum black,and you can't just order and buy yourself.
Also I don't think you get a gurentee with it if your applying yourself.

Jassy I believe only the detailer can order you crystal serum black,and you can't just order and buy yourself.
Also I don't think you get a gurentee with it if your applying yourself.

Jassy is right, you can buy Crystal Serum Light and EXO but Crystal Serum is Gtechniq accredited detailers only.

I never said you couldn't Tom, what I said was you couldn't buy crystal serum black and that only a credited detailer could.

The only thing black about it is the box and maybe the bottle, there's Crystal Serum which is only for accredited detailers and there's Crystal Serum light for anybody to use.

What ever, so gtechniq who supply it crystal serum black, the detailer who use it and who's been trained to apply it, the 12hours you need to leave it to cure...is all lies.
Cause it's only the box that is black and maybe the bottle?
Wow.