Screw in tyre!

keenu

Reaction score
Well just after a month of ownership I have managed to get a screw in one of the rear tyres in my S3 Saloon! :sign unfair:

I have attached a pic but looking at it as I guess its a replacement job, with it being close to sidewall, rather than a repair? I guess its not worth risking driving it anywhere until I got it replaced also? Thanks

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 527
Has the tyre lost pressure? You may be lucky and it's not punctured it as the tyre is pretty thick at this point. If it has punctured it then yes it's s replacement job. Get a screw driver and unscrew it, if it starts to loose air screw it back in and get a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would thank that would be repairable. Take it to a tyre place and get advice.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I would thank that would be repairable. Take it to a tyre place and get advice.

Definitely not repairable, it's too close to the edge.

Reactions: keenu
I feel your pain, I found one in my tyre on Friday when I took off all the wheels to rotate them. I'll repair mine though, as it's a bit further in...

Has the tyre lost pressure? You may be lucky and it's not punctured it as the tyre is pretty thick at this point. If it has punctured it then yes it's s replacement job. Get a screw driver and unscrew it, if it starts to loose air screw it back in and get a replacement.

No pressure loss as far as I can tell. I haven't tried unscrewing it as I was worried I might may it worse. I will give it a shot. Thanks

If it's not leaking but has gone through, then I would bet unscrewing it would be non-reversable.
Even if it hasn't gone all through and Ad72 is correct that it's too near the edge to be repairable, then I would say it needs replacement anyway.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and keenu
No pressure loss as far as I can tell. I haven't tried unscrewing it as I was worried I might may it worse. I will give it a shot. Thanks

You won't make it worse, put some spit or soapy water round it to see if it's loosing pressure. If unscrewing it allows air to come out screw it back in as the tyre is scrap anyway. Will be safe if pumped up to the correct pressure to drive a few miles to the tyre place for a new tyre. If it is punctured I'd personally put the spare on and take the wheel to the tyre place as I hate people jacking my car up and then over tightening wheel nuts!!

Reactions: keenu
I feel your pain, noticed a screw in one of my tires last weekend as well. Fortunately in my case it was repairable, which saved me having to replace a virtually brand new tire.

Both my cars have nails in one of the tyres , and so does my sisters car! Do people chuck them on the roads ?

Same thing happened on our TT after just a few hundred miles last year .... £180 notes down the pan !

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Not repairable sadly, I had one repaired a month or so back, but it was more central:

2-jpg.117273

A mate of mine went to move his wife's car a few days back, luckily he noticed that some git had placed a large nail wedged between the concrete and her tyre tyre!

Ive had two screw-in-tyre events since Ive had the car. Both in very similar positions to yours, and neither repairable :sadlike:

£200 each to replace - luckily about 10 months apart LoL.

Did quite a bit of online searching for cheapest deals, and (surprisingly) KwikFit and Halfords Autocentre were the two cheapest on the market (Pirelli PZero 165/35/Y20 AO's)

I've been using black circles for years.
Tyre delivered to local fitters and excellent prices

Just had to replace a tyre on my car. It was just on the threshold of repairable, but given I like to 'stretch the legs' of my S5, I didn't fancy chancing it so got it replaced. £150

I've had three now in my year and a half ownership of my S5. One 600miles in and needed replacing, one 6months back and thankfully was repairable, and now this one...

Just had to replace a tyre on my car. It was just on the threshold of repairable, but given I like to 'stretch the legs' of my S5, I didn't fancy chancing it so got it replaced. £150

I've had three now in my year and a half ownership of my S5. One 600miles in and needed replacing, one 6months back and thankfully was repairable, and now this one...

How new was this tyre? If it was an old tyre, you should be replacing two on the same axel to stop any Quattro issues............

Reactions: DrEskimo
How new was this tyre? If it was an old tyre, you should be replacing two on the same axel to stop any Quattro issues............

Probably. The other three are down to about 4mm, but I can't imagine it will cause any issues. Besides, the car is probably going back soon for an S3 so the dealer will replace the other 3 before selling on.

Ordered a replacement just shy of £150. Touch wood this doesn't happen again for a long time!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Probably. The other three are down to about 4mm, but I can't imagine it will cause any issues. Besides, the car is probably going back soon for an S3 so the dealer will replace the other 3 before selling on.

I think you need to keep them within around 1mm of one another at a maximum, could cause you serious differential issues!

I think you need to keep them within around 1mm of one another at a maximum, could cause you serious differential issues!

Not sure I buy that personally. Different tyre sizes, absolutely, but not different tyre treads on the same make of tyres. I'm more than sure the system can handle a difference of 3-4mm...

If I have catastrophic failure of my quattro system in then next couple of weeks I'll happily let you tell me 'told you so!'!

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Not sure I buy that personally. Different tyre sizes, absolutely, but not different tyre treads on the same make of tyres. I'm more than sure the system can handle a difference of 3-4mm...

If I have catastrophic failure of my quattro system in then next couple of weeks I'll happily let you tell me 'told you so!'!
Some can, some can't. I've yet to really test the S3's ability to cope with mismatch, and really don't want to, since my last car with a centre diff-less AWD system was ****** horrible to drive when the tyres had different wear...

There was a recent thread on this very subject here;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-tread-depth-critical-to-the-s3s-4x4.317775/

And I posted a very comprehensive guide to haldex here;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-traction-control-frequency.295909/page-2#post-2889962

For tyres, two good sites to check are www.mytyres.co.uk and www.tyreleader.co.uk.

Both are German wholesalers and deliver quickly and the prices are always very competitive.

I had to replace a nearly new tyre on my previous car as it had 4 nails in it - the looked like the strapped type you get in a nail gun. Fitter said he'd never seen that many in one tyre!

Just advising you on what I have seen / been told, I don't mean anything by it :p

Reactions: Audi Bairn and DrEskimo
Some can, some can't. I've yet to really test the S3's ability to cope with mismatch, and really don't want to, since my last car with a centre diff-less AWD system was ****** horrible to drive when the tyres had different wear...

There was a recent thread on this very subject here;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-tread-depth-critical-to-the-s3s-4x4.317775/

And I posted a very comprehensive guide to haldex here;
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-traction-control-frequency.295909/page-2#post-2889962

The only experience I can document on this is my friend who used my full size spare wheel when he had a flat.

Standard size was 235/35/19. He had a full size S Line 18" wheel to lend from me, 225/40/18. Somebody on here did the calculations and the 18" wheel was in fact closer to the size of the standard wheel than the space saver was.

He drove it to work and struggled to get there. He said that the traction control was flashing constantly when applying any throttle, even in very gentle driving pulling off of roundabouts etc. he said it was dangerous and almost un-driveable at 30mph on dual carriageways. Seems to be the Haldex system is sensitive to change.

Just advising you on what I have seen / been told, I don't mean anything by it :p

Exactly how I took it buddy. Sorry didn't mean to come across in any other way in my reply :)

Appreciate the advice

For my sake, I hope it's alright....!!

£150 bangers is a good price for this size of tyre

Not as good as the price for the standard 18" rims. I've just looked them up; £80 will buy the OEM Dunlop, and £105 will buy you the near mythical (if you believe the hype) Michelin PS4. Tyres must have gone down in price, as the last time I bought a set of tyres of this size they cost me £600 for a set of non premium brand hoops. (£600 I then lost as the car was written off by a Bulgarian truck driver a week later...)

Reactions: AudiNutta
Exactly how I took it buddy. Sorry didn't mean to come across in any other way in my reply :)

Appreciate the advice

For my sake, I hope it's alright....!!

That is alright, no worries :friends:

Hopefully it is fine and it will be a test of the theory :sly: Besides, it is under warranty anyway... :p

Can't recall if you said previously doc, did you place an order?

£150 bangers is a good price for this size of tyre

Yep, not bad for the 19 inch Conti Sport 5P rims, got a bit of a discount online too. Got them at F1 Autocentres.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Can't recall if you said previously doc, did you place an order?

Nothing yet bud.

Two dealers are cooking up some numbers as we speak.

I was about to put a deposit on the ex demo one that they were selling to me with 5.9% APR, but it was sold the day I rang to reserve it....

Nothing yet bud.

Two dealers are cooking up some numbers as we speak.

I was about to put a deposit on the ex demo one that they were selling to me with 5.9% APR, but it was sold the day I rang to reserve it....

Nice one! Getting closer though :yahoo: