Subframe alignment

Mark Greenall

Reaction score
I don't know how far these can be out but I took mine off and bow the car doesn't feel right even after alignment, how can the subframe set up to factory? Does anyone know a garage near leeds that will be able to align the subframe?

Assuming it's standard (as you've not said otherwise) scope for a couple of mm of movement on the subframe itself with the 4 big bolts that hold it to the car, but that's your lot really. Enough to move things out of line a smidge, but nothing major so if something feels iffy, and you've already had the alignment done (and trust it to be accurate, which is another matter altogether...) then you need to get in and have a bit of a hunt for other issues.

Assuming it's standard (as you've not said otherwise) scope for a couple of mm of movement on the subframe itself with the 4 big bolts that hold it to the car, but that's your lot really. Enough to move things out of line a smidge, but nothing major so if something feels iffy, and you've already had the alignment done (and trust it to be accurate, which is another matter altogether...) then you need to get in and have a bit of a hunt for other issues.
Thanks, so there is no way it could be 10mm out of place then?

Shouldn't be. Worst case you might find it sitting a little skewed/rotated, eg. LHS sitting a couple of mm forward, RHS a couple back. Even then I'd have thought you'd see less than 5mm or so relative difference.

What's actually causing your concern? Is there something that is visibly out, something you can feel/describe, or just a hunch?

Shouldn't be. Worst case you might find it sitting a little skewed/rotated, eg. LHS sitting a couple of mm forward, RHS a couple back. Even then I'd have thought you'd see less than 5mm or so relative difference.

What's actually causing your concern? Is there something that is visibly out, something you can feel/describe, or just a hunch?
It feels as though I have too much castor, if I turn at speed like lane to lane it's feels fine. When I turn at a junction it feels as if the steering goes very light at a certain point (about 1/3 of a rotation) and the car just feels like its using too much lock.
I changed the suspension this weekend and top mounts, Gsf was 55% off so bought it all cheap. It's been for alignment and still feels the same, maybe I have a bad steering rack fitted?
I suspected the subframe for 2 reasons,
One because I took it off, and the other was when I changed the suspension the left came off easily and went back on fine. The right side was alot harder and was very hard to relocate into the hub. That's the reason i mention 10mm because it seems to be around that distance.