Advice needed On Audi A5 Brake Discs. Corrosion

S Fraz

Reaction score
Just looking for some other Audi owner advice about my recent purchase. It has been sat in a carpsrk for a long time so corrosion is to be expected but I thought it was a little excessive. Just wondering if you guys think it needs some serious attention of whether a good wire brushing would fix it up.

**I've already wire brushed one side to show comparison**

Just looking for some other Audi owner advice about my recent purchase. It has been sat in a carpsrk for a long time so corrosion is to be expected but I thought it was a little excessive. Just wondering if you guys think it needs some serious attention of whether a good wire brushing would fix it up.

Screenshot 20180406 182131 Gallery
Screenshot 20180406 182146 Gallery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180406-182158_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180406-182158_Gallery.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20180406-182151_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180406-182151_Gallery.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 176
If you are talking about the rust on the face of the disc (and assuming both sides are similar), it does not look that bad - I've seen much worse - it looks like the level of surface rust that would soon come off with normal day-to-day braking. The discs have slight "lips" at the top and so when the current pads wear out you might want to take a view on whether to replace both discs and pads together.

With regard to rust on the hubs and calipers, this is just aesthetic and as said above Hammerite smooth is great for this. I find simply two coats of the brush-on stuff lasts for years and has no problems with the heat involved. The spray-on version is full of propellants and I find it a bit watery

If you are talking about the rust on the face of the disc (and assuming both sides are similar), it does not look that bad - I've seen much worse - it looks like the level of surface rust that would soon come off with normal day-to-day braking. The discs have slight "lips" at the top and so when the current pads wear out you might want to take a view on whether to replace both discs and pads together.

With regard to rust on the hubs and calipers, this is just aesthetic and as said above Hammerite smooth is great for this. I find simply two coats of the brush-on stuff lasts for years and has no problems with the heat involved. The spray-on version is full of propellants and I find it a bit watery
Thanks for your comment. The surface rust isn't my worry but the rust inside the ventilation holes is what concerned me. My plan was to get the vast majority of it off, put rust reverser on and then leave it be