Next model A3

And the fact they (currently) have the best interiors, and that is mega important....to me

Really.... thing of the past in my opinion mate..... The rest are catching up big time

Reactions: KenL
Question tho ... the S3 and the GTI are virtually the same price due to the bigger contribution from Audi. The S3 is only £6 per month more. So is the GTI still the sensible option with that in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope

Reactions: Jcbmally
Really.... thing of the past in my opinion mate..... The rest are catching up big time

That is why I said “currently”. My next car quite likely to be something else in a couple or 3 years

Reactions: Jassyo06
Question tho ... the S3 and the GTI are virtually the same price due to the bigger contribution from Audi. The S3 is only £6 per month more. So is the GTI still the sensible option with that in mind?

If the S3 is only £6 per more then absolute no brainier get the S3.

The Golf GTI is a great car ... but only if you’re saving a wadge of cash.

Reactions: wab172uk, NevMan, Jcbmally and 2 others
Yer a Badge Snob admit..........it, it's got nowt to do with anything else............everyone that buys a Audi is a badge snob
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Considering you've got such a beautiful S3...you'd make a terrible Audi salesman! lol

Aye l know............ because i'm too honest..............lol

Reactions: loftylad, NevMan, oli356 and 1 other person
If the S3 is only £6 per more then absolute no brainier get the S3.

The Golf GTI is a great car ... but only if you’re saving a wadge of cash.

Completely agree, and likely to have better resale/residual I would have thought

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Having done some estimates on running costs for the two cars, I’m coming out with the following. Can anyone who’s owned both confirm if these figures are there or thereabouts?

Insurance - £410 S3, £334, £210 on my current A3.

Tax - £140 on S3 and GTI, £20 on the A3.

Servicing - quoted £217 minor/£380 major on the S3, £179/£349 on the GTI, 20k miles or 2 years in my A3. Only had one service in 3.5 years @ £347

Petrol - spending around £1500 pa for 9-10k in my A3. Estimate this would be about £2000 in both the S3 and GTI - optimistic?

On that basis the S3 would increase my annual car costs (including PCP payments) by £2482. The GTI by £2384.

So by my reckoning there’s not a lot in it?

I also had a quote for a new A3 1.5 Black Edition with B&O, High Beam Assist and folding mirrors. Came out at 3k down plus 48 x £359. WTAF!? That’s more than the S3!!

As my kids say, "YOLO" lol

Get the S3. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Kondax
I also had a quote for a new A3 1.5 Black Edition with B&O, High Beam Assist and folding mirrors. Came out at 3k down plus 48 x £359. WTAF!? That’s more than the S3!!

Im paying around that for a s3 BE tech pack. Less down and slightly more monthlies.

Any regrets? What did you have before?

Happy with it so far. A few niggles that was sorted quickly by dealer. Forgot to add it was the last of the pre wltp s3 the dealer was getting.
Had a 272 a6 before but wanted to downsize now I don’t need to carry prams and stuff cause kid a bit more grown up. Also got sick of trying to squeeze the big car into small city centre spaces.

Ok I’ve decided. I’m going to go with... the S3.

Reasons being, there’s not much between the finance deals and running costs. Although the GTI has way more tech, I can’t help feeling I’d always regret not going with the S3. But if I get the S3, I know I won’t even think about the GTI again.

So, given I’m maxed out on what I’m prepared to spend I have very little left for any options so I’m going with Daytona paint and High Beam Assist (which I love on the A3) and that’s it. Would like B&O but I’m not really an Audiophile so the Audi Sound System will suffice. Would like folding door mirrors but it’s a narrower car than the GTI (which has them as standard - of course) so I can live without. Would like reversing camera but again can do without. It has the sensors so that’ll have to do.

I think over my 65 plate A3, (apart from 160ps), I’m gaining full leather heated seats, LED interior light pack, Audi Sound, Audi Beam, Apple Car Play, SatNav and Dynamic Sweep indicators so it’s a definite jump in spec too.

Now I need to go and lie in a dark room and ponder what it’s all going to do to my bank balance.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Pook, Snake Pliskin and 7 others
:icon thumright:

Reasons being, there’s not much between the finance deals and running costs. Although the GTI has way more tech, I can’t help feeling I’d always regret not going with the S3. But if I get the S3, I know I won’t even think about the GTI again.

So, given I’m maxed out on what I’m prepared to spend I have very little left for any options so I’m going with Daytona paint and High Beam Assist (which I love on the A3) and that’s it. Would like B&O but I’m not really an Audiophile so the Audi Sound System will suffice. Would like folding door mirrors but it’s a narrower car than the GTI (which has them as standard - of course) so I can live without. Would like reversing camera but again can do without. It has the sensors so that’ll have to do.

I think over my 65 plate A3, (apart from 160ps), I’m gaining full leather heated seats, LED interior light pack, Audi Sound, Audi Beam, Apple Car Play, SatNav and Dynamic Sweep indicators so it’s a definite jump in spec too.

Now I need to go and lie in a dark room and ponder what it’s all going to do to my bank balance.

Don’t worry about the bank balance...you can’t take it with you! :icon thumright:

Reactions: AlS3BE, Jassyo06 and Muttley75
Considering you've got such a beautiful S3...you'd make a terrible Audi salesman! lol

Completely agree, and likely to have better resale/residual I would have thought

Yer missing the point here the Golf has the equivalent of £
Spec for Spec it aint............

As long as your happy mate, that's all that matters........... ya Brand Snob..........lol Ps Daytona is the best colour for the Sport back S3 by far

Reactions: Jcbmally, loftylad and Muttley75
:icon thumright:

Don’t worry about the bank balance...you can’t take it with you! :icon thumright:

Ye never never know.........there maybe good PCP deals going on................ UP beyond them Pearly Gates

Reactions: Jcbmally and loftylad
Ye never never know.........there maybe good PCP deals going on................ UP beyond them Pearly Gates

There'd better not be,.......'cos I'm going up there with NOTHING!!!!

Reactions: Jcbmally, Kondax and Jassyo06
There'd better not be,.......'cos I'm going up there with NOTHING!!!!

Lol l dont know whats worse with me............ Cars or Holidays.........kiddin.....MY own car has been a bit of drain on my ££££ in the last 2 months and l am begining to grudge it.........l never use too,that's why l never got a RS3 Saloon........running costs........it's easy enough to buy a car..........signature............done,but to actually use it as a daily driver and not for some sort of Driveway Eye Candy...is a different matter all together,hence my next car will be more suited to my lifestyle Yeah my Ego will take a big blow but my bank balance wont

Reactions: Jcbmally, TYb, Kondax and 4 others
Lol l dont know whats worse with me............ Cars or Holidays.........kiddin.....MY own car has been a bit of drain on my ££££ in the last 2 months and l am begining to grudge it.........l never use too,that's why l never got a RS3 Saloon........running costs........it's easy enough to buy a car..........signature............done,but to actually use it as a daily driver and not for some sort of Driveway Eye Candy...is a different matter all together,hence my next car will be more suited to my lifestyle Yeah my Ego will take a big blow but my bank balance wont

Mines not even driveway candy. It’s garaged.

Reactions: Jcbmally, loftylad, NevMan and 1 other person
Having done some estimates on running costs for the two cars, I’m coming out with the following. Can anyone who’s owned both confirm if these figures are there or thereabouts?

Insurance - £410 S3, £334, £210 on my current A3.

Tax - £140 on S3 and GTI, £20 on the A3.

Servicing - quoted £217 minor/£380 major on the S3, £179/£349 on the GTI, 20k miles or 2 years in my A3. Only had one service in 3.5 years @ £347

Petrol - spending around £1500 pa for 9-10k in my A3. Estimate this would be about £2000 in both the S3 and GTI - optimistic?

On that basis the S3 would increase my annual car costs (including PCP payments) by £2482. The GTI by £2384.

So by my reckoning there’s not a lot in it?

That will be down to the better residual / higher final payment on the S3, which is why many who have thought of getting 2.0 TFSI’s have ended up with S3’s for not much more p/m

Yer missing the point here the Golf has the equivalent of £
Spec for Spec it aint............

As long as your happy mate, that's all that matters........... ya Brand Snob..........lol Ps Daytona is the best colour for the Sport back S3 by far

I don’t think so mate, I personally would have standard’ish spec S3 over golf gti, just a better car with much better residuals etc. People spend silly money of mega options, but my Q5 is sline with folding mirrors and extended led pack, and is a lovely place to be for me, and only costs me £349 p/m.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Did you put any cash down q5man?

Monthly payments are irrelevant if you put down a deposit.

Reactions: Kondax
Did you put any cash down q5man?

Monthly payments are irrelevant if you put down a deposit.

Of course I did, but not a silly amount. Managed to get 14% discount off the price.

How exactly can monthlies be irrelevant?

EVERY car I buy I put down a manageable deposit and ensure monthlies are amounts I am comfortable with spending.

I remember when I got my 1st Q5 was looking at X3, they wanted £11k deposit for about £400 p/m. I got my 1st Q5 for £3.5k deposit and £385 p/m

Reactions: TYb
The monthly cost is irrelevant in that this is not the actual monthly cost to own the car if you put down a deposit.

Your £349 per month is really ~£449 per month on a 3 year PCP (ignoring interest variations of course).

On a PCP I won't put any cash in apart from any residual value. Although that's now very likely to amount to much.

I’m also loathe to put down big deposits. I usually chuck in 3k. But I’m also loathe to spend more than £300 a month even though I could afford £1000 a month because I have other priorities such as wanting a new kitchen etc. Currently paying £267 for the A3. The S3 or GTI would be around £350 and that’s as high as I’m comfortable going. Especially given the running costs and extra in petrol. For me the monthly payment is key as I save the deposit in advance, thereafter the more I spend per month the less I put in my savings account. I don’t fancy emptying my entire savings to buy outright either so pcps suit me, to a point.

So er, if you don't mind me asking Muttley, what kind of deal have you been offered?

I can't imagine "wanting" a new kitchen :).

So er, if you don't mind me asking Muttley, what kind of deal have you been offered?

Best to what you are putting down and whether it is cash or car equity.

I can't imagine "wanting" a new kitchen :).

Correction. The mrs wants a new kitchen. Lol.

Reactions: Jcbmally, loftylad and KenL
The monthly cost is irrelevant in that this is not the actual monthly cost to own the car if you put down a deposit.

Your £349 per month is really ~£449 per month on a 3 year PCP (ignoring interest variations of course).

On a PCP I won't put any cash in apart from any residual value. Although that's now very likely to amount to much.

Now you are just being pedantic. Shall we now start talking about monthly running costs, petrol, insurance, road tax etc etc?

Bored now

Now you are just being pedantic. Shall we now start talking about monthly running costs, petrol, insurance, road tax etc etc?

Bored now

Bye!

I spec’d it as standard plus paint and High Beam Assist and stated 5k miles even though I’ll do between 8 & 10k (who ever pays the 6ppm surcharge anyway..?). I’ve been quoted the following which I’m led to believe from the dealer is a one time only deal valid till the end of January:

Standard On The Road Price - £37,200.00
Discount - £2302.33
Your On The Road Price - £34,897.67
Cash Deposit - £3,000.00
Finance Deposit Contribution - £3,500.00
Total Deposit - £6,500.00
Amount Financed - £28,397.67
Final Payment - £16,720
Monthly Repayment - £353.24

I know Audi prices have gone up a lot lately. Good deal or merely average?