Is my trunk button malfunction?

Fraysa

Reaction score
Ever since I owned my 2013 Sportback 8v I opened my trunk using the rear hatch door handle.

I have a trunk button on my keyfob (the old keyfob with 3 buttons). When I press it, the car unlocks, I hear the noise from the trunk but it doesn't pop open. I have to manually open it and when I close it the car locks again.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Doesn't it suppose to pop open?

EDIT: So I found a video online demonstrating the automatic boot with the keyfob. However, I can hear my lock pops but t he trunk doesn't. Where should I begin to look? VCDS shows no errors.

I'm under the impression the press and hold of the trunk button on the keyfob only pops open the boot on the saloon. On the sportbacks it just unlocks it and you still have to approach the car, but then all you have to do is lift open the boot.

That video I believe has the modification to the struts to push open the boot. Stock/default I'm pretty sure will only unlock the boot, not pop it open .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It should unlock and disengage the boot so you just lift the boot open rather than pressing the button in the handle.
Try holding the button for 3 seconds. First press just unlocks and that’s what you hear. Hold it for longer and it disengages the mechanism

A3's to the best of my knowledge don't have power boot struts. I think its just unlocking that happens. No power struts to push it up. thats what my A3 was like and all the others I have been in,...

A3's to the best of my knowledge don't have power boot struts. I think its just unlocking that happens. No power struts to push it up.
Sportback just realise the mechanism, saloons the boot does pop the boot fully open. Due to the fact the boot is a lot lighter.

Sportback just realise the mechanism, saloons the boot does pop the boot fully open. Due to the fact the boot is a lot lighter.

But does it have actual struts for this purpose or is it just down to luck of the design?

But does it have actual struts for this purpose or is it just down to luck of the design?
The saloon? It's just a case of when the mechanism is released the boot is light enough so it pops open. The sportback boot is heavier and as such doesn't without modifying the struts as far as I'm aware.

The saloon? It's just a case of when the mechanism is released the boot is light enough so it pops open. The sportback boot is heavier and as such doesn't without modifying the struts as far as I'm aware.

So no A3's have power boot opening! Anyway, seems like the OP's cars locking is working as intended! No power boot so it just stays down unlocked so you have to just manually lift it.

@Fraysa the video you found is of a modification. NOT an original A3 part! check the video description next time! it states this right under the title of the video!!

Thank you guys, so it is working as intended!