Dislikes

Focus or Fiesta.

Where they better to drive than the Audi?
Focus and the only thing that was wrong with the ST was axle tramp when trying to pull away fast from standstill, other than that it would run rings round any variant of the A3

Reactions: Mark_86, Ron240 and KenL
And having to switch off the stop/start every time I start the car. Yes, yes, I know- VCDS, but you shouldn't have to resort to doing your own fiddling with the software.
How long before we can't even switch off the stop/start?

Enjoy being able to turn it off with a button as soon it will be hard coded into all cars without the button/physical manual option and you'll have to use VCDS or alternative to disable the damn thing!

Love my S3, but annoyances would be the rotary knob which way to turn for up down is out of sync with how my brain would turn the know to scroll! Id turn right to go up, but it goes down!
Oh and Audi brake pads with the amount of dust they create!

I think stop start is a must in cars these days.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I disabled stop start. Personally found it super annoying and doubt the fuel saving is that significant. Found when coming to a T junction say, it'd kick in and then when you go to pull off and turn right there's the brief spell where it kicks back in to life but the steering appears locked and then allows you to turn. Really frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells and Ron240
What counts, the car or the trinkets?

The car is already what it is - My point is that the trinkets are what make it that little more special rather than a £40K car that looks the same inside as a 1.2 S-Line

Reactions: Ron240
I disabled stop start. Personally found it super annoying and doubt the fuel saving is that significant. Found when coming to a T junction say, it'd kick in and then when you go to pull off and turn right there's the brief spell where it kicks back in to life but the steering appears locked and then allows you to turn. Really frustrating.

Yeah stop start is a pain in auto’s, I didn’t mind it as much in my previous A3 but that was a manual so you could control when you wanted the engine to kick back in a bit more. Most annoying thing about it though is the power steering shuts off along with the engine and stop start sometimes kicks in before you’ve actually come to a stop.

I’ve not disabled start stop via VCDS but the button gets pressed every time I start the car. Although I’m usually in manual or sport anyway so at least it never activates then anyway.

Reactions: Adam14 and Sparks43
To add the list of annoyances:
Front parking sensors keep going off continuously whilst crawling along in heavy snow.
Snow sticks and collects on the headlights and LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt it off - the light washers didn't clear it either.

To add the list of annoyances:
Front parking sensors keep going off continuously whilst crawling along in heavy snow.
Snow sticks and collects on the headlights and LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt it off - the light washers didn't clear it either.

Every cars front parking sensors and headlights do this in the same weather conditions

Every cars front parking sensors and headlights do this in the same weather conditions

The LEDs are brilliant in almost every other circumstance but I've never suffered such poor visibility on dark roads with any halogen lit car I've owned. Next to no long range and barely enough light to see the sides of the road.

The LEDs are brilliant in almost every other circumstance but I've never suffered such poor visibility on dark roads with any halogen lit car I've owned. Next to no long range and barely enough light to see the sides of the road.
Led... xenon.... are the same but you can't isolate the A3 for this as most cars now have led headlights and most now don't come with headlight high pressure jet wash

I, m sure stop start is more for International emissions regulations than to save any fuel:grinning:
( perhaps Governments need to look at all these wood burning stoves ! )
but agree about the sudden disappearance of the power in the steering:anguished:

Reactions: Adam14
Led... xenon.... are the same but you can't isolate the A3 for this as most cars now have led headlights and most now don't come with headlight high pressure jet wash
So you're saying I can't dislike the poor performance of my car's LED lights in snow compared to halogens because 'most' new cars now have LED lights?

Reactions: Phutters and KenL
I, m sure stop start is more for International emissions regulations than to save any fuel:grinning:
( perhaps Governments need to look at all these wood burning stoves ! )
but agree about the sudden disappearance of the power in the steering:anguished:
I dislike stop/start but I'll keep pressing the button and take the reduction in RFL with the fiddled lower emissions figure it generates.

Last edited:
So you're saying I can't dislike the poor performance of my car's LED lights in snow compared to halogens because 'most' new cars now have LED lights?
No l am saying the A3 /S3 is no different from any other car that has led lights
Or go get a car with 90 year old technology ie halogens for when it snows and you'll definitely not see nowt in the weather conditions you described

I dislike stop/start but I'll keep pressing the button and take the reduction in RFL with the fiddled lower emissions figure it generates.

The air quality in in this country and especially cities in the UK is bad enough to be considered a major risk factor to health.

Is it therefore not selfish and irresponsible to disable this facility on your car if you have it?

Reactions: AdamInKent
Is it therefore not selfish and irresponsible to disable this facility on your car if you have it?

I bought an S3 for the performance, and the car is capable of drinking petrol like a whale filtering crill, so environmental conscience is pretty much out of the window. I intend owning my car for double the five years warranty period so I do however give a **** about preserving the longevity of the mechanical bits. I'd much rather 'waste' an extra 10p a journey by switching the stop/start off than put the engine through ten times the starting cycles it would otherwise experience.

Reactions: Phutters and Jassyo06
No l am saying the A3 /S3 is no different from any other car that has led lights
Or go get a car with 90 year old technology ie halogens for when it snows and you'll definitely not see nowt in the weather conditions you described

Just wish I'd ticked the optional headlight heaters instead of front parking sensors.

I bought an S3 for the performance, and the car is capable of drinking petrol like a whale filtering crill, so environmental conscience is pretty much out of the window. I intend owning my car for double the five years warranty period so I do however give a **** about preserving the longevity of the mechanical bits. I'd much rather 'waste' an extra 10p a journey by switching the stop/start off than put the engine through ten times the starting cycles it would otherwise experience.

Is that a yes to my question then?

Reactions: AdamInKent and NevMan
The air quality in in this country and especially cities in the UK is bad enough to be considered a major risk factor to health.

Think there's bigger health issues than disabling stop/start on a car.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Is that a yes to my question then?

Indeed.

If I enjoyed hypermiling, piety and saving the planet I'd probably have bought the most basic car in the range with the smallest engine available.

Reactions: NevMan
I have an A3 MY19 35TFSI stronic, it's my second one.
What irks me:-
  • auto dipping mirror, never sure if it's on
  • intermittent stop start, only works after engine is truly warm
  • having to set drive select every time - why!!!!
  • engine is noisy when compared to previous 1.4 TFSI
  • crap mpg, engine definitely doesn't like sub 6C
Apart from these, just love the car.

These systems annoy me, on car's generally. All the systems highlighted are part of the reason why driving standards are soo poor these days.

Adaptive cruise control. Set the distance, and you can drive from John O'Groats to Lands End without having to touch the throttle or brake (just as long as you're following another car). Problem. People don't bother concentrating as the car will slow down / accelerate for them. System fails? Crash !

Lane assist. Seriously, if you need the car to keep you in the lane you're supposed to be in, you really shouldn't have a driving licence. Problem. People don't concentrate at the wheel, as the car will keep you in lane. System fails? Crash !

High Beam assist. Are we really that F***ing lazy we can't even be bothered to switch our main beam on and off ourselves? These system never quite block out the oncoming car, and I often get dazzled by an oncoming car with these systems.

Blind spot assist. If you need the car to warn you that there is a car near by before you pull out, you shouldn't really have a licence. The systems aren't that good either, and no doubt many of the cars that pull out on you on a motorway are due to people just pulling out because the car hasn't beeped to say not to. System fails and doesn't spot a car, driver pulls out, and ........ crash !

Parking system plus. My S3 has parking sensors. That's fine. sometimes useful if there is a low fence behind, but mainly redundant, as I have eyes and thus are able to judge distance. But these new types of systems are hat'll park the car for you? Please. How the F*** did you pass your driving test if you can't even park?

All the above systems need not be in any car, as the person sat behind the wheel should be competent enough, that their right foot is the adaptive cruise control. Their spatial awareness is the lane assist and blind spot assist. There left hand is the high beam assist, and basic driver skill is the park assist.

The more people rely on these systems the more driving standards will fall. The more driving standards fall, the more people will want autonomous cars.

Sorry, but if all those systems are your priority when buying a car, then maybe you shouldn't really be driving in the first place.

Not having a go at Hamza, but just in general to people who rely on these system to get them from A to B without crashing.
You don't seem to understand the difference between driver incompetence and luxury. High beam assist, fair enough, but the rest are all there to help with safety and providing a more enjoyable and relaxing drive. I mean, what's wrong with just letting the car stay in the lane for you as you chill out on your 35 miles trek home after a long day at home?

Reactions: AdamInKent, amb66 and IgorFB
You don't seem to understand the difference between driver incompetence and luxury. High beam assist, fair enough, but the rest are all there to help with safety and providing a more enjoyable and relaxing drive. I mean, what's wrong with just letting the car stay in the lane for you as you chill out on your 35 miles trek home after a long day at home?

Because if you need the car to keep you within the White lines you shouldn't really be driving. By letting the system do the work, it means your concentration is elsewhere. So if something goes wrong, you'll not react as you should, if you were fully concentrating.

Reactions: KenL, Matt Titanium and Phutters
Tricky one this isn't it! I really love tech and want the latest in my car but I do agree that things like Lane Assist should be used with caution. They are a preventative/safety feature but the way people are, they could easily be seen as an actual feature and develop in to our way of driving. Let's see how the technology develops. I agree with both points being made here, responsibility is with the driver and any feature should not take away the task of driving. Having said this, I really want adaptive cruise! i drive thousands of miles on the motorway and to have it would be great! Laziness kicking in probably, the S-tronic already makes it better than my old A3 manual!

And lets not forget about all the Tech giants trying to push through fully automated cars.
When that happens I for one will be walking everywhere, I drive purely for the pleasure and I would be sh##ing myself believing the automated car is in full control, IMHO of course.

Reactions: KenL
And lets not forget about all the Tech giants trying to push through fully automated cars.
When that happens I for one will be walking everywhere, I drive purely for the pleasure and I would be sh##ing myself believing the automated car is in full control, IMHO of course.

Unfortunately this is what people are wanting. While people embrace these systems, the more they want the car to drive for them.

I don't know whether it's an age thing, but it seams more younger drivers are embracing these systems than older drivers. I'm in my 40's, and hate the idea of these systems, and autonomous cars. Yet we now have cars that'll brake and accelerate for you. Steer for you. Keep you within the White lines. Beep when you pull out without even bothering to look if another car is there.

The youth are born f**king lazy. Want everything done for them. "I can't be bothered to drive. Someone invent me a car that'll do it all for me, cos I'm a lazy entitled know it all, and I want to send pictures of myself with bunny ears to my avid followers on instagram, instead of have to exert myself with the trauma of having to steer, change gear, and use my feet all at the same time " :sob::sob::sob::sob:

This is why we now have `HUGE` f**king Tablets for dashboards, and everything is configurable to within an inch of it's life. Gone are the days a car manufacturer build a car to ride and handle well. It's all just electronically coded so some twit can have a choice of 7 setting on how fast they want the car to change gear. Which of the 5 steering weights (which give zero feedback) to have, and how soft / hard they want the ride to be. None of which really make the car handle any better, as it's not been set up to be the best it can be.

This is why I've not changed my car for a while, and may not for a while yet. Nothing much out there that appeals to me. Can't even think of one sports saloon that has dials for a dashboard, manual gear box and passive suspension

Rant over :rage:

Reactions: amb66, Mikeso51, msdmjb and 6 others
Unfortunately this is what people are wanting. While people embrace these systems, the more they want the car to drive for them.

I don't know whether it's an age thing, but it seams more younger drivers are embracing these systems than older drivers. I'm in my 40's, and hate the idea of these systems, and autonomous cars. Yet we now have cars that'll brake and accelerate for you. Steer for you. Keep you within the White lines. Beep when you pull out without even bothering to look if another car is there.

The youth are born f**king lazy. Want everything done for them. "I can't be bothered to drive. Someone invent me a car that'll do it all for me, cos I'm a lazy entitled know it all, and I want to send pictures of myself with bunny ears to my avid followers on instagram, instead of have to exert myself with the trauma of having to steer, change gear, and use my feet all at the same time " :sob::sob::sob::sob:

This is why we now have `HUGE` f**king Tablets for dashboards, and everything is configurable to within an inch of it's life. Gone are the days a car manufacturer build a car to ride and handle well. It's all just electronically coded so some twit can have a choice of 7 setting on how fast they want the car to change gear. Which of the 5 steering weights (which give zero feedback) to have, and how soft / hard they want the ride to be. None of which really make the car handle any better, as it's not been set up to be the best it can be.

This is why I've not changed my car for a while, and may not for a while yet. Nothing much out there that appeals to me. Can't even think of one sports saloon that has dials for a dashboard, manual gear box and passive suspension

I love to buck the trend then No Instagram or Snapchat for me. Don't like these automated features, if I'm paying over £35k for a car, I'd like to be able to drive it - not have it drive me. I want to enjoy the car for myself. I do around 12-15k miles a year, and the drive home is what helps me unwind.

Touch screens in cars? No thanks. Buttons so much easier to use while driving, without having to take eyes off the road.

Reactions: Goner, Mikeso51, Jcbmally and 2 others
For me, the main thing missing is a button that optionally locks the diff in permanent 50/50 4wd. The tendency to under steer before the rear kicks in is a little dull when one is purposefully trying to get the car go a bit sideways.

Reactions: Jcbmally
For me, the main thing missing is a button that optionally locks the diff in permanent 50/50 4wd. The tendency to under steer before the rear kicks in is a little dull when one is purposefully trying to get the car go a bit sideways.

Lol I like your thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally

:yes::yes::iagree::yes::yes:

Reactions: wab172uk
Yeah stop start is a pain in auto’s, I didn’t mind it as much in my previous A3 but that was a manual so you could control when you wanted the engine to kick back in a bit more. Most annoying thing about it though is the power steering shuts off along with the engine and stop start sometimes kicks in before you’ve actually come to a stop.

I’ve not disabled start stop via VCDS but the button gets pressed every time I start the car. Although I’m usually in manual or sport anyway so at least it never activates then anyway.

I switch it off too.

I hate it on my Audi Auto as it’s not quick to work nor refined when it kicks back in.. to me it feels a split second too late when I comes back on, it’s just too slow.

On our BMW 1 series auto though it works very well.

Reactions: Bells
My main issue with my S3 is the wind noise that seems to be unfixable, I also think its a little too close in looks to a normal SLine model.

Not an issue, but wish I had spec'd the panoramic roof on mine.

You're angry haha.

I'm 32 and in between the generation you mention so i take your point as its more than fair!

I like the idea of having some assistance systems but on the other hand i do like a car to be a car if you get me.

As for all the social media bull.. I'll leave that for the younger generation as all that does it rack me, i don't exist on any social media platform such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Snap chat, those type of apps create zombies if you ask me.

I'm sat here typing this up whilst my 3 year old is playing happily with some old skool play doh.. it's amazing how many kids can use an iPad at his age.

Reactions: Ormesome
I have high beam assist and actually find it quite useful but only in specific circumstances. It's quite handy on bendy country roads. If you are on tortuous back roads at night it means you don't have to reach for stalk when negotiating a turn. The sensitivity can be adjusted in the MMI and it can react faster than I can. It is certainly an awful lot easier than the dip switch on my old Morris. That is a switch on the floor which can be quite easily confused with the clutch resulting in some interesting tunes from the gearbox and bizarre flashing of lights from full beam to dipped.

Am l the only owner on here that doesn't dislike anything on their car?

Reactions: Goner and Ormesome
A future dislike: no option for Traffic Sign Recognition in the configurator for a close to 60k€ car. Dealer told me it's not an option available on the A3 models. I have this on my Golf. Apparently it's linked to the Lane Guidance but no mention of it in the config. Can anyone confirm?