S3 Leather 2016/2017

Marc2629

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at buying a used S3 at the moment and not 100% sure on what the leather options are.

I've got half leather in my S-Line A4 at the moment and they're OK but nothing special. It's a leather/cloth combo. I see a lot of S3's down as half leather but not sure if this is also leather/cloth or leather/alcantara? Did the S3 ever come with Leather/cloth?
4b9c87d3a168454b9223f113c6b329bf.jpg

Thanks

I'm under the impression that facelift S3s are full leather as standard. Not sure what the deal was with PFL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have supper sport seats - however when I was looking at S3 facelift I noticed most were full leather or half fabric/ half leather... I really am not sure if this was a step up from the full leather or the other way around. Both are nice in black. - I did view a light fabric ( beige/ light grey ish) in white S3- not my cup of tea.

Hi all,

Looking at buying a used S3 at the moment and not 100% sure on what the leather options are.

I've got half leather in my S-Line A4 at the moment and they're OK but nothing special. It's a leather/cloth combo. I see a lot of S3's down as half leather but not sure if this is also leather/cloth or leather/alcantara? Did the S3 ever come with Leather/cloth?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, no S3's 2016/17 will have any kind of cloth seats.

Most will have full leather, quite a few will have the upgrade (extra cost) "supersport" leather seats and very few will have the (no-cost option) Leather/alcantara.

I think they do them all in black or Grey.(including alcantara) Once upon a time there was also Lunar silver, but not sure when/what age.(think they stopped around 2015?)

Reactions: natalie1817
I viewed a few 66 plates that had the cloth and a particular white S3 had a very light fabric colour-

I felt when I was viewing the cloth were just as common as the full leather. My focus was mainly 66/17 plate

I viewed a few 66 plates that had the cloth and a particular white S3 had a very light fabric colour-

I felt when I was viewing the cloth were just as common as the full leather. My focus was mainly 66/17 plate

I don't mean to be pedantic, but when you say "cloth/Fabric", do you mean Alcantara? I'm pretty sure no s3's had fabric/cloth seats.

Yes sorry ha I meant that they wasn’t full leather. Sorry

I wasn’t sure what they were. On auto trader some dealers referred to it as cloth/ half leather. I was just aware there was another option to the full leather.

Reactions: loftylad
Hi all,

Thanks

If you are looking at second hand, try to find an S3 with Super Sport seats. Full leather, and makes the interior of the car look and feel more sporty, as an S3 should be. Why these weren't / aren't standard I'll never know?

If you are looking at second hand, try to find an S3 with Super Sport seats. Full leather, and makes the interior of the car look and feel more sporty, as an S3 should be. Why these weren't / aren't standard I'll never know?

I think you're right. Most folks seem to love leather, and the SS seats do "look" lovely.

However, one man's meat is another man's poison. I absolutely HATE leather chairs and "downgraded" my order to the Alcantara which I love. (I've had Alcantara on many cars in the past - for me its just so much nicer)

I'll agree, leather "looks" nicer, but as something to sit on...not for me. Too cold in winter, too hot and sweaty in summer (yuck!) and too "slidey" (is that a word?haha) when you're giving it the beans down a nice twisty country road!

Horses for courses ! lol

I think you're right. Most folks seem to love leather, and the SS seats do "look" lovely.

However, one man's meat is another man's poison. I absolutely HATE leather chairs and "downgraded" my order to the Alcantara which I love. (I've had Alcantara on many cars in the past - for me its just so much nicer)

I'll agree, leather "looks" nicer, but as something to sit on...not for me. Too cold in winter, too hot and sweaty in summer (yuck!) and too "slidey" (is that a word?haha) when you're giving it the beans down a nice twisty country road!

Horses for courses ! lol

I'm with you on that. I love my S line seats with leather bolsters but cloth to sit on. I wouldn't swap them for any type of full leather. Shame so many manufacturers think that once you get to a certain budget you want/expect leather seats.

My S3 has full leather super sport seat and is for sale.

Reactions: Jassyo06
My 2014 S3 has leather/alcantara............really like it and much prefer it to leather.
Leather over time I think sometimes doesn't wear particularly well, the seats in mine still look like new. When i bought mine the Audi dealer said he had only sold a handful with alcantara spec'd.

My 2012 A3 S-line has leather/alcantara and I love it. However, I always wanted full leather, despite I never had experience with it. I'm collecting a new car next week and I'm looking for upgrade options. It looks like there are more full leather options than a combo of leather/cloth of leather/alcantara.

Speaking of the leather. Is there a big difference between Napa and Milano leather? In Denmark, one has to pay A LOT of money if they choose the Milano. I guess it's more expensive everywhere. Does anyone know why is that? Is the Milano leather better/softer/more durable? Can one spot the Milano leather just by its look?

Alcantara is a fancy name for Microfibre...or Faux Suede....cheap to manufacture but car manufacturers charge a fortune for it....
Leather seats in a Face lift S3 2016 0nwards come with as standard leather covered fronts seats....."Seat facings only"every other seat covering including the rear seats is Faux leather
Super sport seats have firmer bolsters and have a little more lateral support over the standard seats
all seat types ie standard seats and super sport seats come in either Black or Rotor grey leather or a mix of black or Rotor Grey leather with Alcantara
Then its just the 3 versions of the super sport seats that come with either Black leather facings with silver stitching or Rotor grey with silver stitching and finally Black leather with Crescendo Red stitching via the Audi design pack

Almost forgot you can get the standard seats with outer red leather panels in conjunction with the Audi Design pack

Reactions: MikeParkin, dp_motley and Bristle Hound
Thanks Jassy. Is anything wrong with the microfiber panels? I'd like to buy these seats for my nano gray sportback as I think the gray and orange combination is going to look good together.

On my s3 my18 the default was full leather. I don’t like full leather so I always deselect it. I have deselected it in a number of other Audi’s and the seats are in my opinion much better.

On my s3 my18 the default was full leather. I don’t like full leather so I always deselect it. I have deselected it in a number of other Audi’s and the seats are in my opinion much better.
Is it because of cold/hot issues?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jassy. Is anything wrong with the microfiber panels? I'd like to buy these seats for my nano gray sportback as I think the gray and orange combination is going to look good together.
Nowt wrong with the Velvet panels mate, l had Velvet panels on my Lunar Silver seats very easy to maintain

Reactions: dp_motley
Is it because of cold/hot issues?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
No nothing to do with temperature, it’s a matter that Audi use an excellent alcantara that has extremely good wear qualities. I think it’s a matter of personal taste but I do find that leather seats tend to stretch where you sit and they do wrinkle. I must admit my wife wanted a Mercedes Benz AMG A35 but because it was leather with no other option available we rejected it, Oh and they looked cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_motley