Facelift S3 holds its own.

"It destroyed the Golf"

Love it little S3!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GW1, Jimbob76 and BarryG79
Was just about to post that myself. S3 is quick !!

Reactions: Bells and BarryG79
Focus RS was a bit disappointing considering it has another 40 BHP and it got about a half second jump start in the drag race :tongueclosed:

Reactions: GW1, Ron240, Terminator x and 1 other person
Not the current S3 which has 10bhp less than the version they had there.

Amazing how quick it was compared to the R which is meant to have the same engine and power output.

As I have just bought one, also nice to see the A35 AMG destroying the rest of the line up.

S3 sounded ****** spectacular made my 2 subs kick right in

Last edited:
Reactions: storian, MikeParkin, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Always assumed S3 and Golf R would be a match.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bells
Was just about to post this! Really need to get my res delete fitted after seeing this :tearsofjoy:

Makes me think twice about switching to a S5 after my test drive yesterday...

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Interesting viewing. :)
Typical quoting of PS as BHP though, which in the case of the most powerful car there(Focus RS) amounts for as much as 5 BHP difference.
I also thought it was disappointing of the RS is the drag race considering it is officially quoted as only 0.1 slower to 62mph than the S3.
I am pleased to own an S3 based on that showing. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Terminator x, Bells and 1 other person
A35 sounds a bit weedy compared to other amg cars. Was hoping that would have sounded a bit better.
I expected more from the focus rs but then again it’s computer(dsg) vs man, no human can change as fast as a dsg so that’s why it lagged behind. I reckon with the right person and less mechanical sympathy it should given the rest a good run.

Wasn’t expecting that much difference between the golf and s3. Could it be the older 6 speed in the r and the s3 had the new 7 speed? Those 2 should be pretty much identical.

M140 not my cup of tea and that vid confirmed I made the right decision with the s3.

One thing that video did do for me is that ****** res delete on the s3. I want one now :wink:

Reactions: Jassyo06, BarryG79, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Focus RS was a bit disappointing considering it has another 40 BHP and it got about a half second jump start in the drag race :tongueclosed:
I wondered about this and have just watched it again and again in full screen on my PC monitor pausing it when the starter drops her arms.....and the RS driver genuinely has the quickest reaction time but does not jump the start. The Mercedes driver also has a very quick reaction time and is just fractionally behind the RS.

Expected for me, I knew the A35 wouldn't win. At least merc have improved their launch control/4wd system from the old A45. The PFL A45 lost to the FL S3 in drag races. The A35 lost the rolling race quite badly too, with it being the newest car there and already being behind, it's not looking good for it in my opinion, but then again how many people are going to race it?? The next gen S3/Golf R and Focus RS should increase their leads over it.

Last edited:
Expected for me, I knew the A35 wouldn't win. At least merc have improved their launch control/4wd system from the old A45. The PFL A45 lost to the FL S3 in drag races. The A35 lost the rolling race quite badly too, with it being the newest car there and already being behind, it's not looking good for it in my opinion, but then again how many people are going to race it?? The next gen S3/Golf R and Focus RS should increase their leads over it.

It was only slightly behind the 310bhp S3 which also had a res delete, the A35 AMG destroyed the S3 on the brake test (not surprised there as the brakes are massive on the A35 when compared with the S3).

An A35 with similar mods I would suspect would be just as quick as the S3, and quicker up against a 2019 S3 which has less bhp out of the box.

It was only slightly behind the 310bhp S3 which also had a res delete, the A35 AMG destroyed the S3 on the brake test (not surprised there as the brakes are massive on the A35 when compared with the S3).

An A35 with similar mods I would suspect would be just as quick as the S3, and quicker up against a 2019 S3 which has less bhp out of the box.
I might be wrong but I don’t think a res delete offers any performance increase to the S3, it’s only the centre pipe.

Personally I think Mercedes have made a mistake with the A35’s power output as the next gen S3 will have at least 20-30 more bhp so will overtake it straight away from day 1, so Audi will win the bragging rights with that one.

Reactions: GW1, infernox and S3LOK
I might be wrong but I don’t think a res delete offers any performance increase to the S3, it’s only the centre pipe.

Personally I think Mercedes have made a mistake with the A35’s power output as the next gen S3 will have at least 20-30 more bhp so will overtake it straight away from day 1, so Audi will win the bragging rights with that one.

It may be minimal but replacing a component which restricts airflow with one that doesn't would have to have an effect on power.

I can't see the new S3 (which is probably over a year away) or the new Golf R going very much above 300bhp otherwise it will be moving into a different class of car and would ultimately cost much more due to the increase in power.

If Audi could have kept the S3 and TTS at 310bhp while adhering to the new emissions standards surely they would have, up'ing the power will effect the price and from the facelift TT we can already see a significant increase in the cost. Increasing the new S3's power output would most likely up the cost as well ,and may well price a lot of potential buyers in that bracket out.

The facelift TT is 245bhp while the pre-facelift was 230bhp, I have driven both and the newer model is slower and has a higher 0-62 time.

I wondered about this and have just watched it again and again in full screen on my PC monitor pausing it when the starter drops her arms.....and the RS driver genuinely has the quickest reaction time but does not jump the start. The Mercedes driver also has a very quick reaction time and is just fractionally behind the RS.

That's the problem with Turbo cars and a manual gearbox. Too easy to bog down, even though he was first to flinch. Computers and launch control takeaway any chance of bogging down. Plus as said, DSG will change gear faster than any manual car every will.

But unless you live at Santa Pod, the Focus will always be the more involving car on the road.

Reactions: KenL and Ron240
It may be minimal but replacing a component which restricts airflow with one that doesn't would have to have an effect on power.

I can't see the new S3 (which is probably over a year away) or the new Golf R going very much above 300bhp otherwise it will be moving into a different class of car and would ultimately cost much more due to the increase in power.

If Audi could have kept the S3 and TTS at 310bhp while adhering to the new emissions standards surely they would have, up'ing the power will effect the price and from the facelift TT we can already see a significant increase in the cost. Increasing the new S3's power output would most likely up the cost as well ,and may well price a lot of potential buyers in that bracket out.

The facelift TT is 245bhp while the pre-facelift was 230bhp, I have driven both and the newer model is slower and has a higher 0-62 time.
It’d be interesting to see if someone has had their car dyno’d before and after a res delete. If I end up getting my pipe fitted to mine I might do that and see if there’s any difference.

You make a fair point and I suppose only Audi knows what the plan is for their performance models but if they do include some sort of hybrid tech which is rumoured I don’t think an increase of around 30 bhp is unreasonable even with the new emissions standards which seems to be causing havoc at the moment :tearsofjoy:

Well the A35 also launched a bit earlier than the S3. I'm pretty sure people have dyno'd cars before and after res delete and it hasn't changed performance. It still was a 0.3 second quarter mile lead, more than what the A35 had over the M140i which was only 0.1 seconds behind it. There's also the rolling race where the Golf R without the res delete still beat the A35.

I don't think Audi would want to put too much effort into upping the power on outgoing cars, I think they'd rather make them WLTP complaint the easiest way possible and focus on the next gen of cars. I could see the next S3 having at least 316 horsepower up to around 336 HP. People can reach higher than those numbers with stage 1 tunes, I think it'll be achievable while matching the A35 price.

The Audi cheated on the brake test true, but we don't know what the result would have been if he didn't cheat. We could use the Golf R for reference but the other test shows there are some differences. The Golf R also seems to be the slowest to react. I'm guessing they realised the S3 cheated afterwards and didn't reshoot the test.

Reactions: Bells
A35 sounds a bit weedy compared to other amg cars. Was hoping that would have sounded a bit better.
I expected more from the focus rs but then again it’s computer(dsg) vs man, no human can change as fast as a dsg so that’s why it lagged behind. I reckon with the right person and less mechanical sympathy it should given the rest a good run.

Wasn’t expecting that much difference between the golf and s3. Could it be the older 6 speed in the r and the s3 had the new 7 speed? Those 2 should be pretty much identical.

M140 not my cup of tea and that vid confirmed I made the right decision with the s3.

One thing that video did do for me is that ****** res delete on the s3. I want one now :wink:
T

The golf R was a dsg variant it also had the Akrapovic exhaust upgrade. .. Ye don't miss much when watching YouTube on a 75 " screen lol

Reactions: Leevr, infernox, Ron240 and 3 others
It's all pretty irrelevant to me anyway as I won't be racing my car on a drag strip, or anywhere else for that matter.

Having driven them all the AMG was my favourite, I loved my S3 however I didn't want another one.

The R looks as dull as dishwater, the M140i looks like a bread van and the RS is Ford.

In terms of power 306bhp is all I will ever need, I could barely get to use the 296bhp in the S3 and when I could it was more than quick enough around an A and B road for me.

The interior and looks of the A35 AMG are better (in my opinion of course) than the rest, who knows the new S3 may be a step up again, by the time it comes out I will be about 18 months from changing, so if it's really that good I will get one next.

Reactions: KenL
The golf R was a dsg variant it also had the Akrapovic exhaust upgrade. .. Ye don't miss much when watching YouTube on a 75 " screen lol

True, unless they were all completely standard and 2019 models (I.e. all adhering to the new emissions standards) it was a completely irrelevant test in my opinion.

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and Jassyo06
True, unless they were all completely standard and 2019 models (I.e. all adhering to the new emissions standards) it was a completely irrelevant test in my opinion.
It's all ££££££ for Carwow YouTube channel this type of video gets massive amount of views on their channel and yes its willy wagging guff, but l still liked the res delete on the S3 lol

Ps l haven't even launched my S3 saloon done once in the last S3 that was enough

Reactions: Chris4410, KenL and TYb
It's all ££££££ for Carwow YouTube channel this type of video gets massive amount of views on their channel and yes its willy wagging guff, but l still liked the res delete on the S3 lol

The A35 rear is growing on me...

Reactions: Chris4410 and Jassyo06

Will it? I thought the bhp battle was coming to an end due to (rightly so) emissions pressure.

@Chris4410 . "RS is a Ford" #badgesnobbery.

Personally, I think Merc are rubbish and have poor looking interiors. :grinning:

Reactions: mve7
Interesting.

I know this might just be in my head but this MY19 car has given me a couple “wtf” moments as I’m starting to drive a bit more aggressive, went over to Macclesfield today from my place in the High Peak, so Cat n Fiddle type roads, at one particular straight I scared myself, it kept accelerating quicker than anticipated (if you know what I mean, so my grin grew and I forgot about the corner), I’ve gotten behind cars in this one quicker than I thought i would and it’s made me question a couple of things, it seems to have “more legs” than my other, might be me but today it felt really nice, bit weird if I’m honest.

I’m new to saloon and magride, crikey it handles well, I love it.

Gonna be shunned here but if I was in the market for a new one now, I’d seriously consider the Hyundai N Fastback, great looking car IMO, saw one yesterday when the Mrs picked her new car up.

Interesting.

I know this might just be in my head but this MY19 car has given me a couple “wtf” moments as I’m starting to drive a bit more aggressive, went over to Macclesfield today from my place in the High Peak, so Cat n Fiddle type roads, at one particular straight I scared myself, it kept accelerating quicker than anticipated (if you know what I mean, so my grin grew and I forgot about the corner), I’ve gotten behind cars in this one quicker than I thought i would and it’s made me question a couple of things, it seems to have “more legs” than my other, might be me but today it felt really nice, bit weird if I’m honest.

I’m new to saloon and magride, crikey it handles well, I love it.

Gonna be shunned here but if I was in the market for a new one now, I’d seriously consider the Hyundai N Fastback, great looking car IMO, saw one yesterday when the Mrs picked her new car up.
Boy racer car mate what age are you lol the Hyundai is rather nice l must say but for me personally too old for one plus l wouldn't buy a car that uses halogen bulbs in the headlight clusters

You'd like to think that A Crapper Vitch zorst would give a nice power boost for nearly 2 grand, eh?!

Haha.....this is exactly what I was going to post after reading it, but after scrolling down and reading the subsequent posts I found that you beat me to it. :D
The Focus RS would undoubtedly be the most enjoyable and capable car of the bunch on twisty roads.
There is just something about a "Fast Ford" that stirs the emotions. :sunglasses:

Reactions: infernox, KenL and Chris4410
if I was in the market for a new one now, I’d seriously consider the Hyundai N Fastback
I was having a close up look at a white hatchback version last night after enjoying a very tasty Indian buffet.....and have to admit it did look very nice, and the fastback is nicer again.
Would i spend my money on one though...........probably not.

is there a big difference between the 310 bhp and the new 300 bph? they have both 400 nm

Personally, I think Merc are rubbish and have poor looking interiors. :grinning:

Nothing about badge snobbery, its about the dealerships. I have had a few fords in the past albeit quite a while back and the after sales was woeful. Couple of friends have RS's and they are great cars bar the very high driving position.

The dealerships haven't changed, at least in this area and this was the only reason I didn't consider a mustang.

Haha.....this is exactly what I was going to post after reading it, but after scrolling down and reading the subsequent posts I found that you beat me to it. :D
The Focus RS would undoubtedly be the most enjoyable and capable car of the bunch on twisty roads.
There is just something about a "Fast Ford" that stirs the emotions. :sunglasses:

It's most definitely the one that will hold its value the best as well, classic RS and cosworth's worth serious money these days.

Reactions: KenL and Ron240
I was having a close up look at a white hatchback version last night after enjoying a very tasty Indian buffet.....and have to admit it did look very nice, and the fastback is nicer again.
Would i spend my money on one though...........probably not.

I liked those as well, could be a used bargin in a couple of years. Even more so with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Reactions: Ron240