Any regrets moving to Audi?

S32B

Reaction score
As this section is probably the most used I thought I'd ask here!

Does anyone have any regrets selling their old non Audi car and coming to Audi?

Could be anything, build problems, dealership problems, breakdown problems, the extra cash wasn't worth it, comfort, looks, wish they'd bought BMW/Merc instead of Audi...anything at all?

For me none for coming to Audi, BUT I do regret:
1) Buying the S3 in black rather than white/silver
2) Not extending the warranty/keeping it for 5 years.

Reactions: Jimbob76
My only regret is not staying with an auto box. Coming from an RS3 to my manual I encountered clutch issues withing 2000 miles. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gone auto. Might have struggled a bit as mine is green and not a lot about. Apart from that love the car and the attention it gets. 95% positive comments.

Reactions: Damo S
Love the car and I did buy the extended 5 year warranty . The car still ticks all my boxes . Have a few small things I would like changed but overall happy.
Dealers not so good . Parking usually a problem as they fill customer parking with stock , overcharge servicing whilst in warranty , no proper service record , overall an attitude of “we can sell all the stock we can get” .
It seems Audi do not control their dealership franchises .

Perfectly happy.
I have a complete set of paperwork for all services so have no problem with service history.
I do wish that I had purchased 5 year warranty, but I have gone for the extra restricted warranty for about £120 per year, which covers all the big stuff like gearbox etc.

Yes I am also keeping the paper trail .
I have a 1969 car and have the full trail from the original owner including restoration photos . It is invaluable .
I do wonder how well electronic provenance will work in the future . Already within three years Audi have changed the online service record so I cannot now get to it via my Audi anymore . I have to go on my knees to the dealer and get me re registered . So fifty years from now !

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I love the current gen of Audi’s and the quality you get (imagine next a3 will follow a1, q3 cheap interiors so may be my last). I had an 8p black edition a3 a few years back which I loved, picked up a cheap lease on a Tiguan r line which had all the toys, virtual cockpit, etc but it felt like a cheap product and was nice to get back into an Audi again

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jimbob76
Was a choice between GTI Clubsport Edition 40 in Reflex Silver, with manual ‘box, or my S3 when I got mine. Quattro and roof rails (making it an incredibly sensible family wagon), swung the S3 for me, but I did fancy the Clubsport as a long term, and rare ownership proposition, and still think it looks great and would be a riot to drive. No regrets though - can’t think of a better all-rounder than my FL S3 Sportback with roof rails - and think the styling has stood the test of time pretty well TBH.

76BE0FBF 8BEF 4341 8486 61F877C93B64

1176F5E1 7CDC 459D 8AA6 D11C46B02238

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Pinky1959 and MattSedg
Went from Golf GTI Performance to an S3 manual. No regrets.

AWD makes the S3 the perfect car for all year round driving.

My only regret is not getting the 5 year warranty. But TBH I didn't think I'd be keeping the car this long.

Reactions: Jimbob76
I went from Skoda Yeti to my Audi A3. Both are built on the same platform I believe and do feel similar. Cabin is a very nice place to be, but I do not find the seats comfortable. Same customer service department, crap. Went for monsoon grey instead of my usual [favourite colour] white. Nice as it is, it does show tiny stone chips within a couple of weeks and 800 miles. Chose 1.5 petrol over 2.0 diesel and nearly used to it after a month. Hit and miss dealership as with all makes. Supplying dealership in Sheffield were good, local Liverpool dealership not and I will need a service dealership recommendation. They advised incorrect engine oil and were brusque when I went in for a warranty check on two items.

Colin

No regrets from me

The last car i had that wasn't a vw/Audi was a Evo 6 Tme which was in 2005 since then i've had

Mk5 Golf R32
Audi S3 8p
Mk6 Golf R
Audi A3 Tdi sline sportback x2 Silver/White
Curent Audi S3 8v sportback

Oh and a clio sport 200 but that was just a weekend toy/2nd car .

Car great but dealers not so great. But then, what dealers are?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Came from Volkswagen to Audi, love the car but the customer service is poor.

Unfortunately we have only one choice in NI so not sure where to go next as probably changing in the next twelve months, probably back to VW

This thread could go anywhere/direction............But l what l will say.......As much as l like my current car...l definitely wont be buying another ******* AUDI................dealers are ******* rip off merchants............they do a good job................but ****** expensive

Reactions: Mythos, KenL, Goner and 1 other person
The dealership was my main issue during my ownership, ironically the dealer in NI improved quite a bit over the last year but I have now moved to a Mercedes.

I have no issues with my choice, 2017 S3, and I have no wants for a change, which is unusual for me. Also, my dealer who I have bought 4 cars from is stellar ( Cowell Motors Vancouver ) and charge very reasonable service costs and some freebies.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Let me think? My Skoda had footrests on both sides. I miss that right footrest when using CC which I do a lot but apart from that nothing really.

Edit Ow yes the irritating stop/start which I have to remember to turn off.

Was a choice between GTI Clubsport Edition 40 in Reflex Silver, with manual ‘box, or my S3 when I got mine. Quattro and roof rails (making it an incredibly sensible family wagon), swung the S3 for me, but I did fancy the Clubsport as a long term, and rare ownership proposition, and still think it looks great and would be a riot to drive. No regrets though - can’t think of a better all-rounder than my FL S3 Sportback with roof rails - and think the styling has stood the test of time pretty well TBH.

View attachment 180095
View attachment 180096

Would have gone with the Golf Club Sport S mate...........rarer and better looking imho

Reactions: NevMan and Jimbob76
RS3's prices In your neck of the woods are S3 prices here in the UK.......

jassyo06,

Personally I think I'll be getting a lot of Machine for the $65K US Dollars.

I have owned many Audi's over the years.
That's been sometime ago though.
Last two I owned were both S-4's and they were great.

I really don't know exactly when to expect to take delivery of the RS3 as the dates change on that.
I have patience though so if mine gets here by the end of either (May or June) 2019 that's A-OK with me.

BTW,
That Tango Red Metallic RS3 below is the exact RS3 I have on order.

Terry

Reactions: NevMan
Would have gone with the Golf Club Sport S mate...........rarer and better looking imho

Lol - admittedly rarer, but looks exactly the same as the 3 door Edition 40 Clubsport (admittedly when the Ed40 has the 19” Pretoria wheels ticked as an option). Same bhp as the S3, but front wheel drive only, so I’m sure quite frustrating to get the power down smoothly. Quattro S3 over a second quicker 0-60.

There was one other thing that ruled it out as the family wagon for me (apart from lack of roof rails). I can hear the conversation now. Her “So where are the Isofix points dear? Me “Erm, think it comes with some bungee cords darling” :grimacing: :tearsofjoy:

1DFD3144 58D9 4EEE 9346 E6A30503B714

A565E799 7152 48F4 BC62 5DFCBF7612C8

Reactions: Jassyo06, NevMan and Marc2629
I miss the handling and more assured cornering of my WRX but the S3 is very very quick and has lots of toys, so no big regrets Wish I’d held out for a lighter blue over the Navarra though - 1 mile after a full clean and it already looks dirty - lol !!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jimbob76 and Sandra
Vauxhall to Audi. Do I need to say any more ?

Reactions: S32B, Jimbob76, NevMan and 1 other person
Never regretted buying Audi, here’s my history

Mk 2 A3 2.0 tdi sport
2004 A4 1.8 T, 190bhp version
Mk1 TT 3.2 dsg
2008 A5 2.7 tdi
2012 A4 2.0 tdi 150bhp version - worst of the lot
2015 mk3 tdi ultra - best of the bunch
2016 FL S3

Swapped the mk3 TT way too early for the S3 for the need of an auto.

The S3 will be the last Audi for a while, just feel that prices and service costs are getting silly and not a fan of the new designs.

Loved both of the TT’s, some how felt more special than the S3 which on paper is the best of the bunch.

One of the best things of being an Audi owner is this forum, really good bunch, always something interesting to read.

Reactions: NevMan
I sold my 3 door a3 8v 6 months ago, bought a c250d premium plus. Nice to drive but overrated. Hopefully buying my facelift saloon next weekend!

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
I really do think that the UK as a whole has really bad dealerships. The relationship with dealers abroad is so different. In most countries i have lived in, I have had to visit the dealer and only have praise for them. 2 examples recently stand out. I had an A3 for 2.5yrs, 2014 plate. I went to Leicester Audi to have the rear seatbelt looked at as it wouldn't retract. They accused me of buying an accident damaged car, that i was being untruthful and no way would they touch it under warranty. They did produce a lovely video though where some guy went through my car and told me exactly all the faults i should have done that incidentally were not covered by warranty! I went back to Portugal a month or so later as i was living there at the time, went into Audi Lisbon, no problem. Free car hire, done in a day. I asked them about the general condition of the car and they said it was fine, specifically no accident damage. I have just bought a Q2 in Switzerland. The dealers here really go the extra mile. Got a battery changed on the same day the fault happened, took them less than 45mins to do it. Chap on here made a thread on how he was going to have to wait for 3weeks in the UK for a battery.

Anyway, just 2 stories of why I do not trust or like most dealerships in the UK. My mum has also had problems with Renault. I'm not sure why the UK has such a bad service because it honestly isn't like that abroad. Perhaps it is due to the volume of cars sold in the UK, the constant need and want of a new car putting pressure on the industry, cars being more throwaway items now instead of valuable assets. I dunno....

Anyway, No regrets buying an Audi. The A3 is a lovely car and the only car i have kept for such a long time. I had the most boring of the lot, 1.6tdi so I would love one day to get an S3. I think the Audi brand strikes a nice middle ground actually. Not so run of the mill like VW but classy enough to be up there with Mercedes, but then can blend in and stand out when it needs to. That prob makes no sense but to me it does!! :tearsofjoy:

As a side note, am i right in saying that the RS7 is going diesel? could that happen across the board?

Reactions: DanZ, KenL and Flying Scotsman
Me and my wife have both been with Audi for the last 10 or 11 years solid, during which time we've had 9 cars from them.
Previously we'd had BMWs, Jag.
No regrets at all, although I'm currently struggling to know what I'll change to next when taking in my requirements, price increases etc.

Reactions: TYb, Jassyo06 and NevMan
Vauxhall to Audi. Do I need to say any more ?
Lol I went from a Mokka 1.7 diesel 4x4 to an S3 :) I can't complain too much though! I bought the Mokka after having it for 6 months as a company car, I paid £10k for it and sold it 12 months later for £14k....I work for Vauxhall's/PSA lol :D

Reactions: KenL, Jimbob76, TYb and 2 others
Lol I went from a Mokka 1.7 diesel 4x4 to an S3 :) I can't complain too much though! I bought the Mokka after having it for 6 months as a company car, I paid £10k for it and sold it 12 months later for £14k....I work for Vauxhall's/PSA lol :D

Did Vauxhall pay you to drive the Mokka as well
Cause they'd need to pay me to drive one of em. . Dreadful cars now use to like some of their designs like the Astra Gtc vxr

Reactions: Jimbob76, TYb and NevMan
I don’t think you’ve encountered the guys at Mercedes then

Mercedes absolutely terrible, possibly the most stuck up bunch off numpties I have ever come across in the industry, makes the creased and lunch stained shirt Ford salaeman look good

Reactions: Audi Bairn, KenL, mve7 and 3 others
Did Vauxhall pay you to drive the Mokka as well
Cause they'd need to pay me to drive one of em. . Dreadful cars now use to like some of their designs like the Astra Gtc vxr

Lol. Mate at work has a wife who fancies one of these - he's told her she's on her own and can sort it out herself. That said, I'd park a Chokka Mokka Latte on my drive and cover it with a tarp (so I didn't have to look at it), if I could make £4k on it in 6 months!!! Boy done good @S32B - well played :footy:

Reactions: S32B, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 2 others
This A3 (1.0TFSI SE) is my Audi.

Car has been almost perfect. Interior is a little rattly on cold mornings.

My main beef is the cr*p spun by sales when I got the car. "Audi are always in positive equity about 6 months before the end of a PCP"

The reality 6 months from the end is that it is worth £10k and I owe £12k. It is already worth £1k less than the price to pay at the end of the term. I will therefore be handing the car back at the end.

The pricing policies of dealers are disgusting. £310 was their quote for first oil/inspection service but they were perfectly happy to price match an indy at £140.

This mistrust means I am unlikely to buy another Audi.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Haven’t moved to Audi (yet) and don’t think I will now, went to a dealership the other day after arranging a test drive.

When I arrived they told me because I wasn’t interested in any of their cars at their dealership I won’t be able to test drive them, granted it’s kinda my fault for making the mistake of mentioning that, but they wouldn’t even let me take it out for literally 2 miles as that is adding on miles to the car and apparently ain’t good for business, how petty can you be?

Compare that to BMW that let me take out an M140i a rear wheel drive 340bhp car on my own for 2 hours. Makes me not want to give a single penny to Audi and get a BMW instead. Really lost my motivation to get the S3 I’ve been saving up for, for so long.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and KenL
Even cheaper in Canada ....nicely equipped RS3 at $75,000 Canadian incl Taxes, delivery and PDI
I didn't know how much that was in pounds but am surprised to find it is a rather cheap £42,810 at current exchange rates.
The basic latest model RS3 Sportback retails at £46,285 here, with prices rising to over £50k for the Sport Edition. Saloon prices are £1000 more.
So you have cheaper cars, cheaper public transport, cheaper houses, cheaper utilities, and a lower crime rate.
Is there any downside to living in Canada? :D

Reactions: KenL and Jassyo06
Haven’t moved to Audi (yet) and don’t think I will now, went to a dealership the other day after arranging a test drive.

When I arrived they told me because I wasn’t interested in any of their cars at their dealership I won’t be able to test drive them, granted it’s kinda my fault for making the mistake of mentioning that, but they wouldn’t even let me take it out for literally 2 miles as that is adding on miles to the car and apparently ain’t good for business, how petty can you be?

Compare that to BMW that let me take out an M140i a rear wheel drive 340bhp car on my own for 2 hours. Makes me not want to give a single penny to Audi and get a BMW instead. Really lost my motivation to get the S3 I’ve been saving up for, for so long.
Granted they were a bit blunt with you, but you cant really blame them for being unwilling to help after dropping that bombshell...they are a business after all.
Have to admit if it was my business I would not have given you a test drive either, but would have been a bit more tactful about it. :innocent:

You got excellent service from BMW, but I'm guessing you never told them beforehand that you had no intention of buying a car from them. ;)

Reactions: JimmyMcGee, NevMan and Jassyo06
This A3 (1.0TFSI SE) is my Audi.

Car has been almost perfect. Interior is a little rattly on cold mornings.

My main beef is the cr*p spun by sales when I got the car. "Audi are always in positive equity about 6 months before the end of a PCP"

The reality 6 months from the end is that it is worth £10k and I owe £12k. It is already worth £1k less than the price to pay at the end of the term. I will therefore be handing the car back at the end.

The pricing policies of dealers are disgusting. £310 was their quote for first oil/inspection service but they were perfectly happy to price match an indy at £140.

This mistrust means I am unlikely to buy another Audi.
My mum booked her wee A1 in for its first service last week, they quoted her £220.... She complained it was a bit expensive the next thing it was dropped down to £175....why didn't they they quote that figure in the first place. ... Its daylight robbery to be honest

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, KenL and 2 others
No regrets as of yet, started off with an A1 which i loved and now the Sportback with all the trimmings.
I was looking at a new A1 with 200bhp and had one for three days to test but it was just too expensive, we put 8000 deposit down on the A3 three years ago and would have had to put down another 6.500 Euros for the A1 to get to around 270 a month which is silly.

So we have now decided to keep the A3 permanently and pay it off since more than half is already paid off.
So instead of a new car i retrofitted the Dynamic Tail lights and dynamic wing mirror lights and now looks like half a new car at least :)

None of the two cars have ever let me down in any way so i am happy where we are now and i think the A3 Sportback and in General has aged very well and still looks very fresh and i expect it to the coming years too.

I think the new A3 will look like the new A1 if the leaks are legit.
My girlfriend just did not like the interior of the new A1 and somehow i admit the A3 cabin still is a nicer place to be.
Then again she thought the exterior is to sharp and jaggy but i love the look.

Only thing i miss in ours now is the virtual cockpit really, I love the brand and cars but man they are luxury prices.

Reactions: Audi Bairn