Installing rear view camera without module?

Fraysa

Reaction score
A months ago I've seen a retrofitter who installed a genuine rearview camera to a new 8v without installing the module. I had a chance to see the work but unfortunately I cannot contact him anymore.

I remember he installed the rear camera, routed the cables, connected them to the MMI, coded it all up and it worked. How is that possible?

I own a 2013 A3 1.4TFSI, how do I know which parts do I need?

The FL version of the rear cam has the module built in that’s why it doesn’t need external module.

I'm sorry for the offtop, but can an aftermarket rearview camera be installed and work with the MMI?

X2 genuine OEM generation 2 MQB reversing cameras that I shall be installing to two pre-facelift A3’s today :)

58F21309 CF68 4DF0 83E5 5342B51062D4

Reactions: SPIKE_
Are you suggesting they do not require the module box?

What is the difference between the OEM and the genuine?
Not suggesting anything, they don’t as the module is now integrated in to the camera :)

OEM = Genuine :)

Reactions: SPIKE_
Would that come out full screen or just like FL? But good to know they work in PFL
PFL = full screen display with a vehicle / sensor overlay.

FL = 2/3rds Display, final third being reserved for vehicle / sensor display.

Will post examples later.

Edit: Examples:

PFL A3 with MIB1 Standard and FL Reversing Camera:

IMG 3546

PFL A3 MIB1 High and FL Reversing Camera:

IMG 9520

FL A3 MIB2 Standard and FL reversing Camera:

IMG 0635

*this vehicle has no parking sensors. FL vehicles with rear only parking sensors would see the same display as this. FL vehicles with front and rear parking sensors would see the same display but with the sensor guidelines etc.

Genuine OEM FL Reversing Camera (High) with adaptive guidelines and integrated control module:

IMG 3950

Genuine OEM PFL Reversing Camera (High - for Cabrio) with adaptive guidelines, external control module with AUX / TV input:

IMG 3958 IMG 3953 IMG 3951

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and OCDaveS4
So does the PFL and FL cabriolet have to have the external module? NO module built into the boot release handle on the FL?

So does the PFL and FL cabriolet have to have the external module? NO module built into the boot release handle on the FL?
This I have never actually investigated as I am yet to have a retrofit request from a FL cabrio owner. Regardless, PFL and FL cameras are interchangeable on the A3, meaning a FL can retrofit a PFL and vice versa. I just happen to have that PFL cabrio kit as the customer is also having a TV tuner installation, and the TV connects to the AUX input on the module.

So you’re saying it is possible to retrofit a FL camera with integrated module into PFL, say my 2013? Just camera, wire route and coding?

Reactions: raS3r
So you’re saying it is possible to retrofit a FL camera with integrated module into PFL, say my 2013? Just camera, wire route and coding?
That’s what all my posts have been saying, with example images, yes. £410.00 at the moment if you would like me to do it and provide a 2 year warranty.

That’s what all my posts have been saying, with example images, yes. £410.00 at the moment if you would like me to do it and provide a 2 year warranty.

Not from the UK unfortunately, but I will definitely consider the 300£ option to buy and retrofit myself.

I’ll email you if I do. Thank you!

X2 genuine OEM generation 2 MQB reversing cameras that I shall be installing to two pre-facelift A3’s today :)

View attachment 183739
Hi,

From your experience, did you encounter any issue with gen2 cameras on PFL A3s? I retroffited a gen2 camera(5q0980556b) on my 2014A3, the camera works ok, but the PDC button doesn't work as it should. If I press the PDC button, I can hear the beeps from the sensors, but the imaged with the OPS/RVC image doesn't pop up on the MMI screen. If I put the car in reverse the OPC/RearCamera image pops up on the MMI screen and , in this case, if I press the PDC button the OPS/RVC image goes of away from the screen. I have a MIB2 retroffited, but I tested it with the original MIB1 and the PDC button behaves the same.

Hi,

From your experience, did you encounter any issue with gen2 cameras on PFL A3s? I retroffited a gen2 camera(5q0980556b) on my 2014A3, the camera works ok, but the PDC button doesn't work as it should. If I press the PDC button, I can hear the beeps from the sensors, but the imaged with the OPS/RVC image doesn't pop up on the MMI screen. If I put the car in reverse the OPC/RearCamera image pops up on the MMI screen and , in this case, if I press the PDC button the OPS/RVC image goes of away from the screen. I have a MIB2 retroffited, but I tested it with the original MIB1 and the PDC button behaves the same.
Never seen this before on factory fitted MIB with factory sensors. Have seen this issue before on customers with retrofitted parking sensors and or mib2. The parts in question for these customers were not supplied by me so were incorrect or configured correctly.

Reactions: tquattro
The OPS are factory fitted on my car, and with the factory fitted MIB1High the PDC button issue was the same. The camera part number I think is the right one, it came parametrized, but I tried to re-parametrise it using VCP. If I disable OPS or RVC from 5F's adaptations, the PDC button works as it should (obviously I lose OPS or RVC respectively).

Here is my Ali express camera on my facelift s3 full screen and plug and play with no coding and around £150
Excuse the flicker not like that n person
received-371115190359123.jpg

Here is my Ali express camera on my facelift s3 full screen and plug and play with no coding and around £150
Excuse the flicker not like that n person
received-371115190359123.jpg

Considering the FL genuine camera costs 150£? I don’t see a reason to put something aftermarket.

Was quoted around 500 fitted when I enquired so a good saving at the time for me tbh

I think you will find they are Chinese’s copies

Don’t think someone would risk mentioning an item as genuine and provide parameterization for your specific car.

Don’t think someone would risk mentioning an item as genuine and provide parameterization for your specific car.
Copied / cloned items can still be parameterised. Have seen loads of copied items, from cameras to gearbox mech units. Unless you know what you are looking for you might not notice.

Copied / cloned items can still be parameterised. Have seen loads of copied items, from cameras to gearbox mech units. Unless you know what you are looking for you might not notice.

This is a popular VAG seller which sells more genuine parts, from steering wheels to small parts. So no, I doubt that.

This is a popular VAG seller which sells more genuine parts, from steering wheels to small parts. So no, I doubt that.
Well I asked where and you pointed to a “site”, now you are talking about an individual....

Just did a fast search on the “site” and genuine are a lot more than £150

Reactions: NevMan
Instead of thinking you’re aware of every option, you can just ask me to PM you the link. Every day you can learn new things, you know.
Or you could have just posted a link for everyone to see and potentially benefit from...

Or you could have just posted a link for everyone to see and potentially benefit from...

I don’t know if Audi-Sport allows that and I want a professional like you to verify it before posting it publicly.

I don’t know if Audi-Sport allows that and I want a professional like you to verify it before posting it publicly.
Members post links to all kinds of information and products everyday. You will find that the membership here is pretty “clued up” and will read / research anything they find in order to make an informed decision before jumping in, which is kind of why this forum exists and one of the reasons I support ASN :) Post away. If it’s not allowed then it will be removed.

Verify? I can’t. Why? Well according to you I am not an SME :(

The OPS are factory fitted on my car, and with the factory fitted MIB1High the PDC button issue was the same. The camera part number I think is the right one, it came parametrized, but I tried to re-parametrise it using VCP. If I disable OPS or RVC from 5F's adaptations, the PDC button works as it should (obviously I lose OPS or RVC respectively).
I would assume the issue to be with the camera or the installation method then.

Do you actually have a 5q0 980 556 b or has the first 3 digits and last letter of the part number been engraved both infant and after to the official raised part number?

Last edited:
I would assume the issue to be with the camera or the installation method then.

Do you actually have a 5q0 980 556 b or has the first 3 digits and last letter of the part number been engraved both infant and after to the official raised part number?

Did you have time to investigate the link?

You can even buy the camera from Amazon.

Plenty of people sell the looms for cheap enough as well.

Attachments

• C02C78C2-406A-4A15-99AF-15B9F0F8B01D.png
    C02C78C2-406A-4A15-99AF-15B9F0F8B01D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 428