Installing rear view camera without module?

Ah okay what is the part number people should be looking for?
This is the question.... and why it pays to have something professionally installed. There are a few different part numbers, and I am not just talking about letters at the end of a number, and for 100% compatibility you need to match the correct part number to your vehicles production date / installed equipment. Just because something looks correct does not mean it is, hence why another member within this thread has issues with his parking sensor button operation.

Am not going to list out all the possibles because I have to pay a subscription in order to access the factory records / data.

Edit: and using the amazon link you posted, looks correct physically however that camera is for a golf mk6, will also work the a tiguan..... but also this camera does not contain an integrated control module so in addition to the camera handle you will need the module plus 2 sets of wiring looms, camera to module - module to media system etc..... it not to install in an A3.

Last edited:
I would assume the issue to be with the camera or the installation method then.

Do you actually have a 5q0 980 556 b or has the first 3 digits and last letter of the part number been engraved both infant and after to the official raised part number?
I can't remember that detail about the part number and didn't took any pictures of the camera, but I don't remember seeing anything suspicious about it. Installation, I assume is correct(Positive to fuse18, ground to a ground point on the rear hatch, Video+/- & CAN+/- to the MMI quadlock connector ). I did the same installation on a friend's 2017 Tiguan(different part number, but from the same seller... actually the same ebay seller posted earlier here) and there were no issues with the camera/pdc button on his car. So I assume is most likely a coding issue or a hardware incompatibility somewhere on my car. I already upgraded the gateway firmware and the A5 firmware -this fixed an issue with traffic sign recognition after the MIB2 retrofit- . Also upgraded the PDC module firmware. I thought of upgrading the BCM firmware, but there are too many firmwares for BCM, so I'm not sure which one should I try... I got used with the issue by now, so I don't want to risk bricking the BCM. I do have one DTC on channel 6C: "Databus missing message (message Parkhilfe_01 not received)"

Jeez, if some of you want to buy cameras for more than half what they normally cost, crack on. Not up to @DJAlix to prove/disprove if they are genuine or not.

I personally had a OEM camera supplied and fitted by him, and can vouch for the fact he knows his stuff and is well known in ASN for doing top work.

I am always very cautious about fleabay purchases, it is all about the seller, their rating and reputation etc.

Oh and Amazon links have never worked on here

Reactions: AlS3BE and DJAlix
Jeez, if some of you want to buy cameras for more than half what they normally cost, crack on. Not up to @DJAlix to prove/disprove if they are genuine or not.

I personally had a OEM camera supplied and fitted by him, and can vouch for the fact he knows his stuff and is well known in ASN for doing top work.

I am always very cautious about fleabay purchases, it is all about the seller, their rating and reputation etc.

About to say the same thing. I looked at guides and all sort of online stuff to do it myself. In the end got Alex to do it. Wasn’t worth the risk of me blowing something up and to be fair Alex’s prices were really good it wasn’t worth me attempting or risking my new car.

Reactions: NevMan and DJAlix

I don't think anyone was asking him to prove/disprove, he stated he was happy to help, which I believe he has done. As people have said though there is a cheaper option out there for people that are happy and enjoy tinkering themselves.

Reactions: DJAlix
I don't think anyone was asking him to prove/disprove, he stated he was happy to help, which I believe he has done. As people have said though there is a cheaper option out there for people that are happy and enjoy tinkering themselves.
Indeed, totally agree however I think people might be missing what I am hinting at here. Needs to read between the lines of what I am saying.... is there really a cheaper option out there? People have been posting up examples and so far all but one (which cannot be proved or disproved as genuine / safe or whatever, don’t care really) have been incorrect or work out to be more costly, case in point the “this one on amazon is cheaper” which actually turned out to be an incorrect camera and indeed not a complete kit so would work out more expensive if it was fit for purpose :)

I am all for people having a go but have years of experience in cleaning up peoples projects when they look for cheap parts in order to try and save money and it all goes wrong, from DIY virtual cockpit retrofits to reversing cameras I have seen it all. So what’s my point, my main point between the lines?

Buy a camera kit yourself for £200 odd, spend a few hours trying to fit it, suspend the install as you need to buy some new tools because you are missing some needed for the install, start the install again once you have said tools, suspend again as you don’t fully understand the Chinese to English guide which was supplied with it and need help from the internet, suspend installation as you need to pop out to boots in order to pick up some more bandaids for your cut fingers, finish the install but cannot put the trims back together because half the trim clips have been broken during the “strip and fit” process, drive car around for 2 to 4 days while replacement clips are delivered and then try to fit them, then try to find someone to code everything for you.

Edit: need to add another step. After everything has been up and running for a couple of months you then need to reverse engineer the install as the camera has stopped working, after a couple of days you find the issue was with wires which you soldered, which have broken due to vibrations while driving, or wires have broken because you cable tied them in place and road vibrations wore them down.

Or

Pay an experienced and fully insured company, ie me, the current price of £394.00 to have a genuine OEM Audi camera supplied and safely fitted within a couple of hours and with a full and comprehensive 2 year warranty and tech support over the phone :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, traindweller and AlS3BE

They are..ah, that is you...how should he be expected to know why some potentially non OEM camera won’t work properly?

I am not buying one, just saying they are advertised on there also.

But if it’s no good prob worth letting people know why it won’t work

Indeed, totally agree however I think people might be missing what I am hinting at here. Needs to read between the lines of what I am saying.... is there really a cheaper option out there? People have been posting up examples and so far all but one (which cannot be proved or disproved as genuine / safe or whatever, don’t care really) have been incorrect or work out to be more costly, case in point the “this one on amazon is cheaper” which actually turned out to be an incorrect camera and indeed not a complete kit so would work out more expensive if it was fit for purpose :)

I am all for people having a go but have years of experience in cleaning up peoples projects when they look for cheap parts in order to try and save money and it all goes wrong, from DIY virtual cockpit retrofits to reversing cameras I have seen it all. So what’s my point, my main point between the lines?

Buy a camera kit yourself for £200 odd, spend a few hours trying to fit it, suspend the install as you need to buy some new tools because you are missing some needed for the install, start the install again once you have said tools, suspend again as you don’t fully understand the Chinese to English guide which was supplied with it and need help from the internet, suspend installation as you need to pop out to boots in order to pick up some more bandaids for your cut fingers, finish the install but cannot put the trims back together because half the trim clips have been broken during the “strip and fit” process, drive car around for 2 to 4 days while replacement clips are delivered and then try to fit them, then try to find someone to code everything for you.

Edit: need to add another step. After everything has been up and running for a couple of months you then need to reverse engineer the install as the camera has stopped working, after a couple of days you find the issue was with wires which you soldered, which have broken due to vibrations while driving, or wires have broken because you cable tied them in place and road vibrations wore them down.

Or

Pay an experienced and fully insured company, ie me, the current price of £394.00 to have a genuine OEM Audi camera supplied and safely fitted within a couple of hours and with a full and comprehensive 2 year warranty and tech support over the phone :)

Or, pay 100£ for the genuine part yourself and learn to do things by yourself. I’m sorry, but with all respect to your work and business - I don’t see why not encourage people to experience and learn. Sure, it’s nice to pay someone as you to do professional job but what if I want to do it myself? Why do you talk about it like it’s something wrong?

And even if I do suspend the install due to missing tools or not enough knowledge. I’m sure it happened to you in your first years as a professional installer. There’s nothing wrong with it, this is how you learn.

So far I’ve done only light sensor, door puddle/warning light and footwell light retrofits, but I’m slowly learning and I have to admit, I kinda dislike the disencouragment you’re giving people here, mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dp_motley
Or, pay 100£ for the genuine part yourself and learn to do things by yourself. I’m sorry, but with all respect to your work and business - I don’t see why not encourage people to experience and learn. Sure, it’s nice to pay someone as you to do professional job but what if I want to do it myself? Why do you talk about it like it’s something wrong?

And even if I do suspend the install due to missing tools or not enough knowledge. I’m sure it happened to you in your first years as a professional installer. There’s nothing wrong with it, this is how you learn.

So far I’ve done only light sensor, door puddle/warning light and footwell light retrofits, but I’m slowly learning and I have to admit, I kinda dislike the disencouragment you’re giving people here, mate.

No offence but I really hope that you put more time and research in to your retrofits than you do before posting replies to people on the forum... if you did then you would have seen that a number of years ago I made a significant contribution to a reversing camera retrofit guide for the Audi A3 8v platform, use the search button as it will assist with your project, which I believe both shows my willingness to help and support people with their own projects thank you very much. In fact if you were to click my profile and select “find all posts” I believe you would see just how much I have contributed to this forum and people’s projects and problems since 2009.

Reactions: SPIKE_, T-800 and NevMan
No offence but I really hope that you put more time and research in to your retrofits than you do before posting replies to people on the forum... if you did then you would have seen that a number of years ago I made a significant contribution to a reversing camera retrofit guide for the Audi A3 8v platform, use the search button as it will assist with your project, which I believe both shows my willingness to help and support people with their own projects thank you very much. In fact if you were to click my profile and select “find all posts” I believe you would see just how much I have contributed to this forum and people’s projects and problems since 2009.

Never said a word about your contribution, mate. I even said I didn’t mean no harm to your work or business, I really respect your work. I just said there’s nothing wrong with learning to do stuff yourself and trying before paying to a professional.

Never said a word about your contribution, mate. I even said I didn’t mean no harm to your work or business, I really respect your work. I just said there’s nothing wrong with learning to do stuff yourself and trying before paying to a professional.

I am afraid I have nothing more to say to you as you really are missing the “points” in order to have the “last word”, which you are more than welcome to have after this post.

Well crack on then learning mate and doing it yourself, well done. Not sure though how/why you then just expect “free” advice left right and centre from a “professional”. There are many many threads and guides on this forum of people like you “doing it themselves” some more successful than others.

That said, @DJAlix gives plenty “free” advice, as well as warning what can go wrong...surely the 2nd part is very key here, as can be costly mistakes especially with now sophisticated cars are nowadays.

Reactions: SPIKE_, DJAlix, AlS3BE and 1 other person