Driver's Door - Window Stuck Open

• Thread starter Pedrödelabongo
  • Start date
P

Pedrödelabongo

I suppose it's been coming as its been intermittent ( although the other windows have worked fine) and yesterday, it decided that it was staying down - my own fault for leaving it down, switching off and getting out. No amount of door banging has worked!

Removed the door card to find that Mr. Bodge has been in there previously (all of the plastic clips are broken) but I can't see any breaks in the wires and to be honest, I couldn't bell out anything either to test for continuity.

Is there a 'common problem' I can investigate first?

Can you hear the motor when pressing the button? My guess would be the window clip has broken if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, there's no sound.
The switch doesn't click either - but it did when the window decided it was going to work.

Do the other windows work? Would point to the switch I’d say or wiring on the door.

So, the car has been sat on the drive all week with plastic taped over the open window and I've had to use our lass's Kia.
Anyway, against my better judgement, I ordered a new switch set and fitted it this morning but still no joy.
I can't see any breaks in the wiring, so really out of my depth now, and with no auto sparky around York able to look at it today, it's gonna be sat there for a while yet.

Is there a 'pi55ed off' smiley?

Hi, check the wires in the rubber that goes between the door and entering the car, if you have the door card off you can unclip the rubber boot from inside the door. These wires get constantly strained by opening and closing of the doors, the drivers side more. Common fault.

Reactions: Pedrödelabongo
Thanks Norad, I'll check them out.
*EDIT* Cant' really get to the wires inside the door as the window is in the way.

Cut the outer casings away to see if there was anything obvious, but only this:

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_160850_resized_20190810_043447925.jpg
    IMG_20190810_160850_resized_20190810_043447925.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
This should have been the past pic:
IMG 20190810 160909 resized 20190810 043916254

All seems well at the door post:
IMG 20190810 160850 resized 20190810 043447925

Last edited by a moderator:
Right chap, what parts have you tested and ellimated thus far?

I’m guessing nothing happens using the key fob too?

Nothing happens on the key fob and so far, I've only managed to replace the switch pad, I can't see anything mechanical out of place and I can't push the window up which gives me the idea that nothing mechanical is broken - but I could be wrong.
All other windows work but the lock button doesn't light up when pressed and obviously the driver's window.
Just been up to Bishop Auckland tonight to get - what I hope is - a good motor assembly, so first thing tomorrow, I'll be trying that......fingers crossed!
If not, I'm going to scream!

Kinda thought it was chasing a ghost - the motor I bought yesterday doesn't work on my car.
So, removed speaker and motor and was able to push the window up and use a couple of pegs to hold it in place (how embarrassing!).
As the window moves freely and without any noises, I still think there's a broken wire somewhere, so I'll bite the bullet and get an autosparky on the case.
I now have a spare motor and switch pad!
Out of curiosity, does anybody know which plug and pins need connecting to 12V to make the motor work?

Sorry to hijack your thread but are you wanting to sell the switch pad at all?

Why not pull the door card from the rear door remove the motor and plug it in the drivers door loom, not fitted to door offcorse, see what occurs.
It will either power up or won't, you will then know if it is the drivers door motor or wiring.

Sorry to hijack your thread but are you wanting to sell the switch pad at all?

I've managed to break two of the locking tangs taking it off!
The replacement is a cheapie from ebay - about 15 quid inc postage iirc - but appears to be as good quality as OEM, so I'm not complaining.

Why not pull the door card from the rear door remove the motor and plug it in the drivers door loom, not fitted to door offcorse, see what occurs.
It will either power up or won't, you will then know if it is the drivers door motor or wiring.

If I knew for definite that the plugs/sockets are the same, then I would - it also means having to buy (and wait for) more doorcard clips. Kinda why I asked the question about which plug/pins are used to power the motor.

Hi, Now you have the window up I would check the wires again, you need to check each one, If there is no break try slightly moving them and see if it works.
I have 2 front module/motors from my car that I removed when I upgraded to folding mirrors, they are 100% working, whats the part number of your module.?

Yeah, that's my plan. I have next week off, so I'll give it another look, if not, it's going to the garage to get the rear discs and pads fitted, so I'll get them to have a play about.

In case anyone else was watching this thread, it turned out to be two wires between the A Pillar and the door frame fraying and eventually snapping - what I now know is quite a common fault.

Reactions: CHEZ
Aye, I had a quick look , but wasn't confident in taking the boot to bits.
The lads in garage sorted it for me - yeah, cost a bit, but I know it's a good repair now.