S3 looks like its smoking from front end? Advice please

pop80_uk

Reaction score
Hi all
Hope you can help me please. (video link below)

I have a 2015 Audi S3, its great!

The only slight issue / odd thing I have with it, is on wetish mornings or damp mornings or cold, after I go for a drive and park up, the front end smokes like a chimney!

I get funny looks and people telling me the car is on fire.
It does have a slight coolant smell to it, but I am not loosing any coolant.

Any ideas?
Is this normal?
Do other S3 owners have this?

Thanks

https://www.dropshots.com/pop80_uk/date/2019-10-16/07:20:02

Does look quite steamy.

Does the bonnet dry up quickly? Mine sometimes steams from bonnet but yours does look like it’s coming from below.

Silly question but guessing you’ve had the bonnet open once the engine is up to temp and nothing obviously emitting steam?

Reactions: pop80_uk
Does look quite steamy.

Does the bonnet dry up quickly? Mine sometimes steams from bonnet but yours does look like it’s coming from below.

Silly question but guessing you’ve had the bonnet open once the engine is up to temp and nothing obviously emitting steam?

Thanks for the reply
Yup the bonnet dries quickly but its definitely mostly coming mostly from the front

I have had a bonnet up a few times, and looked in with a torch, but I can not see anything obvious or where it is coming from.

But it does have that coolant smell too it, which is why I was worried there was a leak somewhere, but all the levels are normal.

only on wet days or only on cold days? if only wet and not on a dry cold day then it cant be coolant related, but more like the rain water is drying off from something hot
If it happens on cold dry days then it could be coolant / radiator related but you should see some movement on the header

only on wet days or only on cold days? if only wet and not on a dry cold day then it cant be coolant related, but more like the rain water is drying off from something hot
If it happens on cold dry days then it could be coolant / radiator related but you should see some movement on the header

Its damp / rainy days, on dry sunny days, nothing that I can see. But then maybe its not cold enough to notice the steam.

It also seems to only occur on the first drive most of the time, its very odd!

All ideas very welcome, as I am guessing it is not normal.

Sounds more like moisture burning off or condensation, is the car parked in a damp shady area?
Or you just follow smokey cars every morning :)

Reactions: pop80_uk
Hi all
Hope you can help me please. (video link below)

I have a 2015 Audi S3, its great!

The only slight issue / odd thing I have with it, is on wetish mornings or damp mornings or cold, after I go for a drive and park up, the front end smokes like a chimney!

I get funny looks and people telling me the car is on fire.
It does have a slight coolant smell to it, but I am not loosing any coolant.

Any ideas?
Is this normal?
Do other S3 owners have this?

Thanks

https://www.dropshots.com/pop80_uk/date/2019-10-16/07:20:02

Looks like steam rather than smoke so I wouldn’t worry too much. If your coolant is fine it can’t be anything like a leaking radiator. No wet patches under the car when it’s parked up in the dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under bonnet insulation been removed? I know it's for sound but would probably increase the time it takes to get steamy and reduce the amount.

Get this on my rs3 the same days similar to yours, nothing to worry about just a very hot engine and cold damp air, no coolant lose and engine oil temp perfectly stable after a 80 mile commute.