Magnetic Clutch for Supercharger - Stuck Open VCDS Error

Chets

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon all, hoping someone can shed some light on an error code that has come up when I did a scan (can't seem to find anything on RossTech Wiki).
Car is S4 B8.5 CREC engine MRC Stage 2 (was done 2 years ago).
Couple of days ago whilst driving I gave the car some beans and noticed the EPC light come on. I didn't notice any loss in power at the time. I switched the car off and back on and the EPC light had gone. Went for another drive and had it on WOT and all seemed OK.
I've scanned the car since and it has come up with this error:
24771 - Magnetic Clutch for Supercharger
P25E9 00 [096] - Stuck Open
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 56690 km
Date: 2021.10.17
Time: 14:46:40
Engine RPM: 5166.00 /min
Normed load value: 74.1 %
Vehicle speed: 114 km/h
Coolant temperature: 90 °C
Intake air temperature: 24 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.257 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Engine status: Part throttle
Accelerator pedal position: 99.90 %
Compressor speed: 10250 /min
Engine torque: 485.56250 Nm
Throttle valve angle: 80.039 °
Compressor magnetic clutch: current: 237.2 A
FUP_H_SAE: 20060.0 kPa
Thanks in advance.

If it helps this guy had the same code and it turned out to be the s/c pulley, although his was a stock one. Maybe worth waiting to see if it happens again?

If it helps this guy had the same code and it turned out to be the s/c pulley, although his was a stock one. Maybe worth waiting to see if it happens again?
No - it was his crank pulley. If @Chets has a standard MRC stage 2 then the pulley will have been changed to MRC's single piece pulley which should rule that out.

However I would agree that a single instance of this is nothing to worry about. If it happens again and again then likely the clutch will need to be replaced - not a cheap job but not excessively expensive either, although a special tool is required (MRC have one).

No - it was his crank pulley. If @Chets has a standard MRC stage 2 then the pulley will have been changed to MRC's single piece pulley which should rule that out.

However I would agree that a single instance of this is nothing to worry about. If it happens again and again then likely the clutch will need to be replaced - not a cheap job but not excessively expensive either, although a special tool is required (MRC have one).

So it is! Sorry, my mistake, I misread.

Is it these special tools which are required?

Thanks for the feedback, spoke to MRC and they recommended the same as @Dippy.
Any recommendations on where to get it done - I live in the west london/Berkshire area?
Is there an uprated supercharger clutch to consider?

Normally I'd recommend MDMtechnik in Marlow but last time I spoke to Mark about it (this was a few years ago now) he didn't have the special tool. If I were in your place I'd go back to MRC and get a health check done at the same time, but only after it became clear that there was a real problem. Even on a stock car I wouldn't worry about a single instance but on a tuned car it is realistic to expect the occasional glitch because the engine is outside the operating range which was designed and tested by Audi.

Yes there were revisions of the clutch by Audi (the letter at the end). I know that mine is not the latest.

Reactions: Chets