Wipers behave oddly

lizart95

Reaction score
A friend of mine replaced the wipers assembly on his a3 8p 1,9 tdi today with second hand one because his stopped working (new is like half the price of the car).The "new" wipers behave odd.When you push the lever down to move them manually they are working fine but if you put the lever up to auto (intervals) move after they start to go fully backdown and the end the go a few centimeters up and stop.The next cycle the go down and right in the end they start to move jittery like.The next cycle is like the first one and so on ...So where is the problem ? We didn't plug the car to scan it because it's raining and it's dark but tomorrow i will scan the car with VCDS.I think the ECU is a swiming in water but that is only a guess.

When I switched to Auto on my old 8P, they would lift to the standby position awaiting rainfall. They would only cycle if I inadvertently flicked the stalk down first for single wipe or the sensor detected rain on the screen. They shouldn't stutter though. The only thing I can suggest, assuming that the unit was supplied fully tested, is maybe it's the blades stuttering on a dry screen, the blades themselves are worn or there's a bad connection either in the loom plug at the motor end (any green stuff in there?) or the on the switch itself inside the stalk.

It was raining when i looked at the car and the windscreen was wet.I can't say anything about wiper motor because the seller can say/lie "the motor was working fine be i tested it" and it my word against his.Mine go to the standby position but not that much up the screen.We move them a few notches down but now the passenger wiper blade get under the bonnet and it's not okay and his wiper arms are not like mine and the wiper blades themselves are bigger. How can we test the wiper stalk ?

Ok, did you tighten the nuts properly, sounds like you haven't & it does happen & can cause symptoms as per.