Anyone had to use Regular Unleaded?

@Mike.46 what is your background Mike as you seem very "technical" ?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Early steel block motors had a EGT probe in the turbo housing to protect from high EGT, apparently some tuning companies used to either disable the protection or offset the temperature reading to stop it interfeering and reducing performance,
I guess they think that no one is likely to hold it flat out for long enough to cause issues.
EGT is still a problem on early engines, caused by poor manifold design and a very short cylinder 3 rxhaust length , EGT on these engines is measured where it will be highest and it's very easy to see 950-1000c :scared2:
It's good to hear that it's not just general tuning that's known to melt pistons, rather that it's bad tuning. I'd hope the likes of big tuners such as APR, Revo, MRC, etc. would all leave any safety critical protections in place when they eventually come out with maps to reduce the likelyhood of issues.

Well 95 doesnt harm the fuel economy, Horrible run today Chester-Crewe and back, a mix of 30/40/50/60 roads, about a 40 miles round trip, it averaged 35mph and 46mpg :scared2: surprised me that, never seen over 42mpg before
All the talk of E10 using more fuel isn't entirely true in this case huh? ;)

@Mike.46 what is your background Mike as you seem very "technical" ?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
I did my apprenticeship as an Instrument technician, ended up running two Uranium Enrichment Plants, I was good at the logic/control side of things, just seemed to fall naturally to me, I think that logical approach works on my hobbies as well

Hobbies took me through Motorcycle and Cars and into engineering race cars for the best part of 20 years, we won a fair few races and championships over the years

Reactions: IanL-RS3, 8YARWY, Terminator x and 1 other person
All the talk of E10 using more fuel isn't entirely true in this case huh? ;)
Dont honestly know tbh, it appears to be the case but could just be the journey/weather etc, also not sure on the E10 content, dont forget the E10 is a maximum.

One thing I think I have noticed on the 95 is any pop or burble between gear changes (ASR Controller) does sound quieter? weird.....

Dont honestly know tbh, it appears to be the case but could just be the journey/weather etc, also not sure on the E10 content, dont forget the E10 is a maximum.

One thing I think I have noticed on the 95 is any pop or burble between gear changes (ASR Controller) does sound quieter? weird.....
That's a fair point, I often forget it's a 'maximum' number and not just 'the' number. I've tried running a few tanks of E5 and E10 through my cars and bike over a few weeks for my own curiosity and never actually found there to be a discernable difference in mpg for my standard weekly driving. Looking at a few reports and the difference in colorific values is around the 1% mark, so it really shouldn't make a noticeable difference in reality.

Reactions: Mike.46
I imagine it's the same kind of scare mongering as when they banned Leaded 5 star, I remember the comments well :)

Reactions: Daggerit
Currently running on 95 99 is hard to find around these parts recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the problem I had the other week, just coudnt het 99 or 97, My car is nicer on 99 or 97 Sainsbury fuel, it's hard to explain? since fuelling with a complete tank of 99 the pops between gear changes have 'returned' it's almost as if when running on 95 the ecu is constantly searching/adapting

I had a simiar experience with the 'plug and play' Syvecs on my lads RS3 engined Golf, the base fuel map was miles out and it uses a wideband lambda sensor and an AF (Air fuel ratio) target map to correct the fuel mapping,
Over a couple of days messing I altered the base fuel map so the alterations required to thebase map by the wideband Lambda were small, the improved driveability and smoothness of the car was very noticeable, my RS3 feels similar to this when on 95 but on a much smaller scale?