Illuminated door cill

Jeff Bates

Reaction score
Any info or help appreciated.
opened the door the other morning to find the door cill flickering on and off, when it was off it was one of those where you press it and it flickers again and goes off, so looks like a short on the wire harness as I’m guessing there is a couple of hundred mm of wire before the connector…. Has anyone ever taken these out? Are they just clips or double sided tape, just wanted to see if it’s something I can sort myself before booking into dealers as it’s my partners daily for work.
Thanks

Attachments

• DEDB01D9-1D9A-440B-9730-D12B2192359C.jpeg
    DEDB01D9-1D9A-440B-9730-D12B2192359C.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 63
opened the door the other morning to find the door cill flickering on and off, when it was off it was one of those where you press it and it flickers again and goes off, so looks like a short on the wire harness as I’m guessing there is a couple of hundred mm of wire before the connector…. Has anyone ever taken these out? Are they just clips or double sided tape, just wanted to see if it’s something I can sort myself before booking into dealers as it’s my partners daily for work.
Thanks

Could be wrong but I’m pretty sure they just pop out if you get under them with a trim removal tool. Don’t take that as gospel though, I’ve not tried it on these cars specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Double sided tape on the 8V so I imagine 8Y is the same.

New one is around £150.

Yeah ones I've worked with are 3m double sided foam tape, which usually ends up with the aluminium kinked a little, it's a process & unless it's under warranty, there's a certain way to lift without any kinking so to speak.

Just get them to deal with.

I've never removed one however for a job like this I would mask off around the sill protector with 3m masking tape or similar and then saw cut using fishing line to cut through the tape.

This works well when removing stuck on numberplates or badges.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: NHN
Yeah just got to be careful of friction with the line used to cut through as it can burn through lacquer & the plastic sill itself very easily.

Ideally use duck tape or something more thicker to thwart the friction burns so to speak.

Reactions: Daggerit
A little heat will help in removal, however I’d just take it to the dealer, sometimes a trial in itself but warranty dictates I’m afraid.

Reactions: Daggerit