Headlight condensation

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
First off, I know LED headlights struggle to clear condensation because they emit little heat, and that it’s common to see a little bit here and there. This has appeared over the last few days and looks a tad on the excessive side to me.

Going to monitor it over the next few days and see how it goes but it’s gradually got worse.

Attachments

• 1DCA9573-2D20-4295-8962-DAE29488BD27.jpeg
    1DCA9573-2D20-4295-8962-DAE29488BD27.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 460
  • F5392546-09C0-4DA0-BD44-D55757646773.jpeg
    F5392546-09C0-4DA0-BD44-D55757646773.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
  • Wow
Reactions: RS03??? and DangerMouseUK
That's allot tbh, I'd say they've got bad seals.

Problem now is the droplets will leave marks on the inside given the amount you have, you could the actual fix by dealer trick which is to dry them out with a hairdryer & trust me that's what dealers are told to do, of course with a dryer of some type, then see if it comes back.

I'd take allot of pics & show to Audi as it's definitely imho got a seal problem.

Reactions: RS03??? and DangerMouseUK
Audi has a TSB about the headlight condensation essentially only saying that its normal....

"The headlight circulation system allows air from the outside to flow through the headlights. This open waterprotected
ventilation system (which is needed for pressure compensation) creates different climate zones in the
headlight: very warm areas, where the lens is warmed up by the light, and relatively cool areas, where the lens is
cooled down by the airflow.
Considerable differences in humidity and temperature between the inside and the outside of the headlights, even
when the car is being driven, can create condensation. While condensation is most common in cold and wet
weather, it can also occur after a car wash, after the engine or front end has been steam-cleaned, or when the
temperature changes. Condensation is more visible on lenses made of clear glass than on lenses with patterns.
The moisture does not affect the headlight function or light performance, and it does not lead to corrosion or
damage of other headlight parts."

"Service
For headlights, the affected lens surface should be clear after approximately 10 minutes of light operation,
although the entire lens surface may not clear. The clearing process depends on the outside temperature and the
humidity.
• When water droplets have formed on the inside of the lens or water has collected at the bottom of the light
assembly, check for leaking seals and/or cracks in the lens or light assembly. If no damage is found, use
compressed air (less than 30 PSI) to clear the lens.
• On light assemblies with LED lights (such as S6 daytime running lights) the LED lights do not emit enough heat
to clear the moisture from the lens. Only the pressure difference of the ventilation system provides the air flow
to clear the moisture on the inside of the lens. The design of the ventilation system on these types of lights will
ensure the lens is clear after a few miles have been driven."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: HulkRS3
Yeah that's not going to clear after a few miles tbh, that's a seal issue imho with my experience of headlights including splitting & resealing.

The factory guidance of this issue for many chassis was as I've stated, dry out via this method.

Yeah that's not going to clear after a few miles tbh, that's a seal issue imho with my experience of headlights including splitting & resealing.

The factory guidance of this issue for many chassis was as I've stated, dry out via this method.
Just done a two hour drive, approx 100 miles at 70mph and it hasn't cleared. The drivers headlight has cleared the little condensation that was present from earlier but the passenger headlight remains in a dreadful condition.

• Wow
Reactions: furious_iPod and LayZ_Pz
On my 8V they replaced a whole headlamp unit due to fogging up.

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just done a two hour drive, approx 100 miles at 70mph and it hasn't cleared. The drivers headlight has cleared the little condensation that was present from earlier but the passenger headlight remains in a dreadful condition.

View attachment 263079
View attachment 263080
Those pics are evidence enough that there's an issue. I've never had droplets form on the inside, only a light misting.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: furious_iPod

View attachment 263079
View attachment 263080

Yeah I think after 100 mile driving and the driver side fully clear, there is an issue with the passenger side light.
I would forward those photos to the Dealer and get it booked in - ideally for a new light as @Terminator x did

Contacted my sales guy in Bristol (We're in Scotland) but he's always straight up. He forwarded the pictures to their Master Tech and he replied with

Hi at the minute the headlight is borderline, Audi's stance is a certain amount is normal if drys out with lights on for a period of time. If doesn't dry out then would require a new headlight.

Looks like I hopefully wont have to fight with my local dealer too hard then. It's much worse today after the heavy frost through the night.

Porsche had similar issues on the rear lights and middle Porsche reflector on 964 models, as Audi have said Porsche also said it wasnt a problem.........but then Porsche introduced a system of pipes from the cars rear heater blower motor to blow air through all 3 units.............

Porsche had similar issues on the rear lights and middle Porsche reflector on 964 models, as Audi have said Porsche also said it wasnt a problem.........but then Porsche introduced a system of pipes from the cars rear heater blower motor to blow air through all 3 units.............

PFL was same.

Solution was to drill little holes in the rear and fit rubber grommets.

Booked into the dealers. The whole conversation was just an uncomfortable experience on why I don't like dealing with dealerships. "While your vehicle is in with us we will give it a full entire health check for free, and a free wash and valet." - Umm, kindly, no you won't. Thank you.

Reactions: Terminator x and garethdj
View attachment 263235

Booked into the dealers. The whole conversation was just an uncomfortable experience on why I don't like dealing with dealerships. "While your vehicle is in with us we will give it a full entire health check for free, and a free wash and valet." - Umm, kindly, no you won't. Thank you.

Always make sure they write DO NOT wash on the job sheet when I take mine in.

Reactions: furious_iPod and Terminator x
Hi sorry for bringing up an old thread. @HulkRS3, I take it you got yours replaced

I have the exact same issue, on passengers side also! Defect!?

Contacted dealer who has booked it in for a "2-day diagnostic" before determining if the headlight needs replaced. Hoping it doesn't take a whole two days to determine and fix the problem!

Attachments

• 1000014661.jpg
    1000014661.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: Daggerit
Hi sorry for bringing up an old thread. @HulkRS3, I take it you got yours replaced

Contacted dealer who has booked it in for a "2-day diagnostic" before determining if the headlight needs replaced. Hoping it doesn't take a whole two days to determine and fix the problem!
I had mine do similar, to the point where there were small pools of water down by the chequerboard bit and I was going to book it in and when I went to it was all gone... It was there for probably the best part of 3 or 4 weeks but then just disappeared without any changes to the lengths of my journeys or anything.

Reactions: jgs911

I had mine do similar, to the point where there were small pools of water down by the chequerboard bit and I was going to book it in and when I went to it was all gone... It was there for probably the best part of 3 or 4 weeks but then just disappeared without any changes to the lengths of my journeys or anything.

I actually came down with COVID the day before it was due to go in, and incidentally it also cleared up on the actual day it was due to go in. I have noticed it completely depends on the outside air temperature, at this time of year is when it happens. A friend who also has one of these cars dried his out with a hair dryer, his was way worse than mine, but it's marked the inside of the glass from the water marks.

For me, it's out of tolerance and is absolutely a warranty claim - thankfully my glass never marked but others have not been so fortunate.

Reactions: jgs911, RS03??? and Daggerit
For me, it's out of tolerance and is absolutely a warranty claim
What tolerance ? Have you access to manufacturers specs then to make a comment like that ?
It comes and goes on all these cars to some degree.....

Thanks guys - hopeful that it should clear away then - maybe I'll force it a bit with the hairdryer treatment!

Reactions: Daggerit
What tolerance ? Have you access to manufacturers specs then to make a comment like that ?
It comes and goes on all these cars to some degree.....
I don’t know what’s acceptable in your eyes but to me, this is completely unacceptable on a £60,000 car and beyond the scope of what’s considered in tolerance in my eyes and what I’d expect from the brand.

zRnOz25.jpeg

You really are a pure fud. Quite sure you wouldn’t be impressed if it was your car. But you craic on if you think that’s acceptable.

lol FUD, if it bothers you that much take it into audi as you were going to in the 1st place.
Just make sure you take the fish out 1st

You really are a pure fud. Quite sure you wouldn’t be impressed if it was your car. But you craic on if you think that’s acceptable.
Those lights are not accetable
I wonder if there's a superseeded part to prevent this?
Porsche had issues that bad with early 964 rear lights, they superseeded the lights and rear reflector with an air feed basically from the 'air cooled' supply to the cabin fan, worked a treat :)

Reactions: 8YARWY
Those lights are not accetable
I wonder if there's a superseeded part to prevent this?
Porsche had issues that bad with early 964 rear lights, they superseeded the lights and rear reflector with an air feed basically from the 'air cooled' supply to the cabin fan, worked a treat :)

Mike we are talking about Audi here…… not a chance will that much thought go into rectifying something.

There's no superceded part on these headlights

Items to do with breathing etc are

No 10 is called a Breather Line
No 14 Is called a Hose
No 4 is called a sealing frame
Matrix headlight

Reactions: Mike.46
I had this on my RS3 8y too and agree it looks $hi7 but the Dealers hide behind Audi saying its 'normal'
Surprisingly I have seen this on the Porsche too ... but on the rear lights.
I even did the hair dryer thing and got rid of it all but it comes back straight away.
Even get it in summer ***.
Just looks bad & annoys me every time I see it, but same thing - its considered 'normal'

I had this on my RS3 8y too and agree it looks $hi7 but the Dealers hide behind Audi saying its 'normal'
Surprisingly I have seen this on the Porsche too ... but on the rear lights.
I even did the hair dryer thing and got rid of it all but it comes back straight away.
Even get it in summer ***.
Just looks bad & annoys me every time I see it, but same thing - its considered 'normal'

Only time I get it is when washing the car and I’ve seen the outer rears do it recently after a wash. But it goes away after half an hour.
The issue is getting any joy with Audi.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Its down to progress! In days gone by lights had a white hot halogen bulb in them and it was enough to heat the lights, even on side lights and indicators.

Xenon were not as good but still enough most of the time but the new raft of fancy LED lights don't have much heat output at all, just enough to warm the air to hold enough moisture to condense on the inside on a cold day.

Only way to eliminate it is a completely sealed unit (like they used to have) or a fan and heating element.

I fear piped bleed engine air these days would only fill the light with the same longlife oil detritus that coats the valves and dare I say it would look worse than what you have now.

The 8V with matrix does it a bit but I leave it parked pointing south and let the sun do the work :sunglasses:

Reactions: RS03??? and 8YARWY
Only time I get it is when washing the car and I’ve seen the outer rears do it recently after a wash. But it goes away after half an hour.
The issue is getting any joy with Audi.

it just all feels hit and miss to me.
Some cars get it some don't.
I can't recall any misting on the A45 or my 8v RS3, but the 2013 S5 did have a little.
My last RS3 (8y) had some misting but nowhere as bad as the photos in this thread.
718 fronts are perfect but rears mist up ... go figure.

Seems our German counterparts experience similar.

FUDs

9b954fb0ef23d87035c0d0d1add50346.jpg

9dea1382873d930bb6d22a89fcfdb94f.jpg

92fe611961986b1bd076719cf3f32b00.jpg

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and kayemill
I have the same on my my24 Q5 and on the loaner Q5 I currently have. I don't like it but it seems par for the course and won't be resolved.

Reactions: kayemill