B pillar rattle / general rattles

garethdj

Reaction score
So I’m noticing what is a very subtle rattle which I think is coming from the B pillar, fully expect Audi to say they can’t hear anything but I’m super sensitive to that sort of stuff.

Also when I have the music up moderately loud this kind of increases the rattle, when it’s basey music, albeit then harder to hear because of the volume. Whilst I do this I general notice a bit of a rattle right round the car.

It’s mainly just the general b pillar rattle that’s the issue, the latter probably being a sign of the inferior build quality as my 8v could be full blast and not a peep out of any panel.

B&O system in both.

Anyone else had any issues similar?

Oh and the car is going in for a new exhaust start of April, can’t get booked in until the end of April. I’m going to hazard a guess I’ll get that as a response, it’s the exhaust causing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daggerit
So I’m noticing what is a very subtle rattle which I think is coming from the B pillar, fully expect Audi to say they can’t hear anything but I’m super sensitive to that sort of stuff.

Also when I have the music up moderately loud this kind of increases the rattle, when it’s basey music, albeit then harder to hear because of the volume. Whilst I do this I general notice a bit of a rattle right round the car.

It’s mainly just the general b pillar rattle that’s the issue, the latter probably being a sign of the inferior build quality as my 8v could be full blast and not a peep out of any panel.

B&O system in both.

Oh and the car is going in for a new exhaust start of April, can’t get booked in until the end of April. I’m going to hazard a guess I’ll get that as a response, it’s the exhaust causing it

Can't say that I've noticed anything like that, and I'm usually fairly sensitive to them as well. Even with basey music I haven't had an issue. Hopefully just something a little bit loose that can be easily tidied up, if Audi actually acknowledge there's a sound in the first place...

B&O system in both.

I had similar in mine, but it turned out to be the rear door cards. A bit of thick felt tape behind, but under the card (not visible) sorted it. I usually put it under roughly and half on show at first, then drive for a few days to see if it works before fixing permanently. I only use 15 to 20mm long strips normally as it's resonance that's being eliminated rather than something being loose.

My method is:

Pry up edge of door card with wide trim tool (avoids digging I'm to the plastic) once rough method conforms location
Position felt tape using another tool under the edge of the card
Lower card onto felt by removing wide trim tool
Pull second trim tool away from the trapped felt tape

Dealers usually use thin tape and this means inevitably it ends up on show. I noticed on these door cards there's almost a lip to them rather than a hard edge, so you can always hide the tape well with thicker tape.

Tape I used is this stuff:

If it's not the cards, I found in my 8v that the seat belt slider can rattle, a hidden piece of tape between in and the b trim usually solves this and is only visible if you change positions.

Reactions: garethdj, cooperp, RS03??? and 1 other person
I have an annoying noise that comes from the drivers side window when the car is cold. If I put the window down just a crack it stops. I assume it's something to do with the seals. The 8V had trim around that area but it's exposed on the 8Y. Assume it's something to do with that.

Reactions: garethdj
I have an annoying noise that comes from the drivers side window when the car is cold. If I put the window down just a crack it stops. I assume it's something to do with the seals. The 8V had trim around that area but it's exposed on the 8Y. Assume it's something to do with that.
Have you lubricated your door seals recently with Gummi Pflege? If not it might be worth a go.

Reactions: kayemill and flybynite
Have you lubricated your door seals recently with Gummi Pflege? If not it might be worth a go.
This!

I do it on all the rubber seals on all cars every 6 months. Works wonders

But for tha actual channel seal and any of the 'furry' bits I use a dry PTFE spray

Reactions: kayemill
This!

I do it on all the rubber seals on all cars every 6 months. Works wonders

But for tha actual channel seal and any of the 'furry' bits I use a dry PTFE spray

The Würth seal stick is great for these.
22615acfc504205eb705714ef4470491.jpg

Reactions: kayemill and flybynite
The Würth seal stick is great for these.
I think it is the same stuff TBH, same bottle, Liqui Moly and some others do the same. I've always stuck to the Einzett/Nextzett stuff as there is not much in it in price. LM stuff is a bit cheaper so I might take a punt next time and see. LM also do a spray which for some things is better

I think it is the same stuff TBH, same bottle, Liqui Moly and some others do the same. I've always stuck to the Einzett/Nextzett stuff as there is not much in it in price. LM stuff is a bit cheaper so I might take a punt next time and see. LM also do a spray which for some things is better

Easier to apply I find as it’s a circular sponge application.
I have the aerosol too though.

We are lucky enough to have a Würth shop nearby.

I had similar in mine, but it turned out to be the rear door cards. A bit of thick felt tape behind, but under the card (not visible) sorted it. I usually put it under roughly and half on show at first, then drive for a few days to see if it works before fixing permanently. I only use 15 to 20mm long strips normally as it's resonance that's being eliminated rather than something being loose.

My method is:

Pry up edge of door card with wide trim tool (avoids digging I'm to the plastic) once rough method conforms location
Position felt tape using another tool under the edge of the card
Lower card onto felt by removing wide trim tool
Pull second trim tool away from the trapped felt tape

Dealers usually use thin tape and this means inevitably it ends up on show. I noticed on these door cards there's almost a lip to them rather than a hard edge, so you can always hide the tape well with thicker tape.

Tape I used is this stuff:

If it's not the cards, I found in my 8v that the seat belt slider can rattle, a hidden piece of tape between in and the b trim usually solves this and is only visible if you change positions.

Could be this. Thank you.

Also could be this, did wonder if it was wind noise.

I had something very similar with the drivers side rear window albeit on hot days.
It would rattle.
Could be sorted by dropping the window ever so slightly.
Dealer could not identify it and sort it.
Didn't bother me that much though as I generally had the stereo on, but have that too load and the speakers rattled :tearsofjoy: