MHEV functionality differences between model years?

JKP

Reaction score
I had a 35TFSI S-Tronic MY20 from new as my previous car. It had all the problems ever described on this forum, but since I still liked the way the car drives and the looks, I decided to order a new one. It took the whole year to get it, but I was happy with that, as I had read some worse cases here. Also the car came with all the specs I ordered. The new one is MY2023, and there hasn't been a single warning light yet, which gives me trust for the better ownership this time.

It hasn't been without any problems though - the first user login needed 3 factory settings resets until the login was succesfull, and after that it was asking me to go through the basic settings randomly when starting the car. That's fortunately been gone now, I guess the MyAudi app updates did something there. Now I'm just suffering from rattling door seals (I guess - if someone knows how to fix this, I'd like to know) - and the operation of the MHEV system and gearbox. This is where we get to the topic.

Let's put the question first: I've read some of you have done the same route as me, and traded the first-off-the-line car to a new one. Is the MHEV system on the new one functioning the same way as on the old one, or is there some significant difference?

The current car of mine opens the clutch practically every time I lift the gas pedal - even on very slow speeds, which lets the car run uncontrolled, if you're not hitting the brake pedal immediately. That's truly annoying when driving between the blocks or entering the underground garages. In these cases, the old car kept the clutch closed and mostly used recuperation, thus was maneuvering much better. The only times when the new car uses recuperation automatically are when the radar sees another car slowing down before you. So did Audi tweak the MHEV operation between the model years, and this is now "the new normal", or is there something wrong with my car? I've tried asking this from my dealer, but they obviously have no practical clue, they just read me the useless factory jargon and told the car is doing what it should, which I'm not convinced. I'm not totally sure about the gearbox anyway, sometimes moderate acceleration from the stop causes bad shaking during the first gear change, and it's overally a bit more jerky than the previous one... that had completely different problems. Looks like the DSG gearboxes are all individuals, with slightly different edges. I also asked if the dealer had another car for a test drive to find out if it's doing differently, but the only A3 they had was a PHEV, which I know is a completely different story.

I have a 22 and find the engine cut out when coasting somewhat annoying at times, especially when crawling or traffic, or hitting speed humps whilst coasting downhill. Especially when you're on large speed bumps that need a little acceleration. I find it causes you to lurch / jerk from time to time. There's also a small audible electric noise when the engine starts backup, which don't get me wrong can be drowned out by the radio, but sometimes it's nice driving with no music haha!

Anyway I found putting the gearbox in Sport mode, stops the engine switching off, not an ideal solution, but does the trick!

One

I find the function itself pretty useful when driving "normal" speeds, like at least 40-50 km/h (30+ mph), but below that it's just making it impossible to adjust your speed using only gas pedal. The old car didn't usually cut the engine off or open the clutch at lower speed than that. Sport mode indeed stops the coasting, but at those slow speeds it's just revving stupid high using too small gears.

I don't mind the electric noise of the start generator. I've also owned a VW Golf with the coasting function, without the real MHEV tech, so it was coughing itself up using the old-school ignition. That really was annoying, but fortunately the disable start-stop button bypassed the whole coasting thing there.