Akrapovic exhaust - why is so much wiring required??

Neil_79

Reaction score
A little bit of daydreaming, but I saw Akrapovic now offer a GPF back exhaust for the 8Y. From the installation instructions on their website, it seems to involve a lot of additional wiring, which confused me - shouldn’t you just be able swap the value controller units over and you’re up and running? Or am I being just too simplistic?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Daggerit
A little bit of daydreaming, but I saw Akrapovic now offer a GPF back exhaust for the 8Y. From the installation instructions on their website, it seems to involve a lot of additional wiring, which confused me - shouldn’t you just be able swap the value controller units over and you’re up and running? Or am I being just too simplistic?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

That’s all I’ve done on my past cars with Milltek systems, I’d have thought it would be the same with the Akrapovic surely? Otherwise I imagine you’d lose the standard valve openings.

Edit: Just had a look at the instructions and it looks like it involves installing some sort of controller which is where the additional wiring seems to come from. Didn’t dig deep enough to find out what the unit does though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil_79
Seems a lot of bother for not much gain.

Can sniffer lol sniff my A R S E

Wow if only all upgrade kits came with such detailed installation instructions! Well impressed.

Wow if only all upgrade kits came with such detailed installation instructions! Well impressed.

Pretty poor in the fact they couldn’t use a valve controller instead of running looms from the rear to control the valves using a sniffer.
No need to use that set up if someone has a ASR / Cete fitted then I suspect, however at 5K plus you’d expect Akra would have included a proper valve controller that’s miles easier to fit.

Reactions: Daggerit
Pretty poor in the fact they couldn’t use a valve controller instead of running looms from the rear to control the valves using a sniffer.
No need to use that set up if someone has a ASR / Cete fitted then I suspect, however at 5K plus you’d expect Akra would have included a proper valve controller that’s miles easier to fit.

My initial thoughts we’re the same! Fitted my ASR in @10 minutes and so convenient to use.
However, I gave them the benefit of doubt as to the reason for such a complex controller solution. After all, it’s not rocket science and the boffins at Akrapovič must have considered a ASR type approach! That said, god only knows what the benefit, if any, there is to their approach.