Sports exhaust tips black paint corrosion/chipping.

Gazza84

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know what this is and what is causing? Anyone else have this happen on theirs and any way of fixing it?
I clean the car every week and don’t do anything that would cause this.
could it possibly be driving in performance mode 90% of the time causing heat from the exhaust to do this?
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 143
Hi, does anyone know what this is and what is causing? Anyone else have this happen on theirs and any way of fixing it?
could it possibly be driving in performance mode 90% of the time causing heat from the exhaust to do this?
Cheers.

Not totally sure what would cause it. I run the valves fully open almost all the time too and I don’t think mine is chipping off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers.
I wipe down my exhaust tips every night I put it in the garage. Always have. Since the 8V with silver tips I always hated seeing people let them turn black. Even I've got a few chips in the black. No idea what would cause it as it's just trim. Not even connected to the exhaust.

Reactions: Daggerit
I presume with OPFs in place there shouldn’t be anything coming out to turn them black but a wipe down doesn’t sound like a bad idea anyway. I’ll try to remember to take a closer look later to see if mine are actually chipping or not.

Cheers.
There was a similar issue with the paint flaking on TTRS exhaust tips a few years ago. That one turned out to be due to metal expanding a contracting in the tip causing the paint to flake. Those chips look to be right at the edge where the paint/coating is going to be its thinnest as well as directly in line with the flow of gas from the exhaust.

TTRS exhausts ended up being replaced under warranty

Had flaking once after a year of 8V ownership but those tips are welded on so sorted it myself.
e7472954ea4addf3cc1ff7df0d44efeb.jpg

a4d99673624af40b9136f130ca4ecc80.jpg

Reactions: Daggerit
I wipe down my exhaust tips every night I put it in the garage. Always have. Since the 8V with silver tips I always hated seeing people let them turn black. Even I've got a few chips in the black. No idea what would cause it as it's just trim. Not even connected to the exhaust.

just a micro fibre wipe down or have you been applying any product? Maybe a quick detailed to lube the surface up?

just a micro fibre wipe down or have you been applying any product? Maybe a quick detailed to lube the surface up?
Will probably shock people but I just wipe it with Kitchen roll. I add water if it's covered in salt etc.

It's the black paint that has corroded/flaked/chipped off, not a stain that can be removed. I don't believe wiping it with anything will help as it gets washed with a lambs wool mitt once a week. I don't see anything I'm doing that is causing it as the tips are only touched by the mitt when they are getting cleaned.

I had the same problem with a Maserati and it turned out it was caused by the high pressure hose I would occasionally use at a self-serve car wash.

I had the same problem with a Maserati and it turned out it was caused by the high pressure hose I would occasionally use at a self-serve car wash.
I use a wide spray setting on the hose nozzle, it's not as much pressure going on the car that way. There's no way that is causing it as it's not a strong enough water pressure.