Off to view another possible B7 this week, uttermadness.

I have learned the hard and costly way when it comes to buying used cars in the past, i normally let my heart override all else and it has backfired on me, so, I won't be rushing into an RS4 B7 , its needs to be the right one as I won't be buying another one.
I'll see what it's like and how it drives and compare it against the other one, it needs to jump out at me with that, wow i want that feeling if that makes sense.:thumbs up:
For me very few cars have done that with the exception of the 964 C4 I had, I loved that car, it was a car that I always dreamed of owning but never thought it would happen, but I did.:yahoo:
hoping the RS4 will have the same effect.
Pr1

Reactions: Gmac, Sandra and NM07
Based on the £16k avant , it sounds like a lot of cash, well it is a fair bit, but its a lot of car for the money given how much other cars are now, and a lot are rubbish anyway.
£16K is a bit of a bargain right now for a good B7 RS4. A manual naturally aspirated V8 all wheel drive estate, with has been mentioned a much better and very different engine than the S4, is a rare beast from any marque. There won't be another car quite like it ever again and good ones will only appreciate in price. Crazy prices on second hand and classic cars right now so I'm not sure why these haven't rocketed - perhaps understandably too scary for many. Absolutely worth waiting for the right one and taking your time, Rob.

A few weeks on and still looking for that "special one" to justify dipping into the pension pot.

The Grey one that I started this thread with is still for sale, I've looked at 3 and was not really overwhelmed by them and the advert pics were very misleading given the asking prices.
I was really interested in a Mugello blue avant , nice spec and good history etc , but i was pipped to the post.

Maybe I'm just looking for a beast that just does not exist, with a sunroof, anyway, I will carry on with my quest as there's one out there with my name on it, somewhere.

Colour wise, I am looking for one in either Sprint blue, Mugello blue, or Missano red , possibly yellow but it would need to look right if that makes sense.

Reactions: tr7
Such as this, yes its bright but hey it makes a statemet, strangley attracted to this colour for some reason :yes:

• Wow
Reactions: Gmac, quattrogone, 8YARWY and 3 others
Mugello blue would be the colour I'd go for from that list Rob, I love red but I hate how the tail lights get lost in the paint with red cars. Maybe I'm boring but I could never own a yellow car :tongueout: Just look hideous to me except for very rare occasions.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
it will, as you say , pop up eventually. If you have something in mind and very specific then no harm in sticking to your guns. Luckily for me my bar was set lower :)

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
Mugello blue would be the colour I'd go for from that list Rob, I love red but I hate how the tail lights get lost in the paint with red cars. Maybe I'm boring but I could never own a yellow car :tongueout: Just look hideous to me except for very rare occasions.
I am with you on that , Blue all day long, hate green cars and well yellow, dear god you could have warned us rob, I didnt have my sunglasses handy :)

• Haha
But at the end of the day, it's your car and get the colour that makes you happiest!

It's strange as yellow is not one of my favorite colours, I did have a Renault 5 gordini in yellow that was, let just say "bright" I used to call it yellow peril..lol
also had a Ducati 748sps that was yellow and it suited it.
Rs4 avant in yellow , maybe , but not seen one for sale ever.

Mugello blue is really nice , nice shadows in a different light.

black,silver,grey are non starters .

But at the end of the day, it's your car and get the colour that makes you happiest!
Its something I've set my mind on doing, and i don't mind looking at the upper end of the market to secure the right example, i'm going to pay over the odds as sellers will just take the Mickey price-wise for top-quality examples, but it's not a car that I will be selling nor a car that i will be tinkering with other than maintance, so it is probably a worthwile investment , but not to leave stuck in a garage unused, i like to enjoy my cars to the max.

I see B7 RS4's quite regularly and its always an event for me.....just a beautiful package....in any colour!

You'll drop on the right RS4 when you least expect it Rob. The B7 is a true classic and I'd have one at the drop of a hat if I didn't need an SUV.

It took me almost 3 years of looking for my perfect Java green RSQ3 , wouldn't have it in any other colour now:icon thumright:

I'd buy just because it's yellow! I had a mk1 TT back in the day that was Imola yellow and I loved it. That looks to be the same colour..

I think it looks good with the black grille and trim option fitted.
Those black roof rails and door trims along with the black optics front grille etc do change the look compared to satin silver, Imola yellow it is , and it is growing on me.

Buying cars is a funny old business. Earlier this month I was all for getting rid of my B8 Allroad and pumping £30k into a C7 A6 Allroad V6. Sanity kicked it. Like you, it’s got to be right. Colour is everything, plus condition of course. You’re already looking at a very niche car, plus the panoramic option puts this firmly in unicorn territory.

I have noticed with dealers, cash means **** all these days. They make their money on gap insurance, finance packages of course and some other smoke and mirrors nonsense.

Reactions: B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
It's that old chestnut, personal preference again, what one person finds just right, the next won't, and thats fine.
Lots find red naff , i personally love it , personal choice rules.
I had a white 944 turbo, looked awful dirty but spanking when cleaned and polished.

Yellow is most certainly a marmite situation for many, I hate marmite but I could very easily live with an Imola Rs4 avant if it was a nice example, cant put my finger on why i'm drawn to it, I just am...lol
Maybe its an old guy thing now.:yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: spartacus 68 and B7Tourer
May have a couple to look at this weekend, not Imola though, I've looked for one but nothing to be found.

Some years ago metallic silver seemed to be the in colour, then black took over and now often it seems white has become the new black. I don't mind white but it is always a Ford Transit van white and I don't see that suitable for a luxury car, whereas an ivory white has always looked classy but is very rare now. Black is still the de facto colour for executive cars, especially if they are chauffeur driven. I had a beautiful carmine red XJ40 Jag once and I really liked that but it is not my favourite colour and can look very dated, these days if not in perfect condition and not on an Alfa or Ferrari. Whilst for me I could never drive around in a bright yellow car of any make, that RS4 looks smart and I imagine very rare.

What I do know is I will never have another metallic painted car in any colour. They look stellar when just washed but soon look like they have a thin layer of dust over them and if the clearcoat is not A+ perfect, they can look quite dull and show wash/buffing swirls more easily if the sun catches them at an angle. The pearlescent Black on my car looks lovely when just cleaned but it is the same and non metallic black always looks more striking and shiny to me. I'm not sure what colour I would ideally like next but I would like a lighter less dark interior - that just seems more claustrophobic always to me too and I'm not a fan of the S-line grey/black leather B7 combinations either.

What happened with the RS4 in the OP, Rob?

Last edited:
Anything but silver for me! Do really like Daytona. I’d have an imola yellow rs4! Liked my imola S3 8l

Some years ago metallic silver seemed to be the in colour, then black took over and now often it seems white has become the new black. I don't mind white but it is always a Ford Transit van white and I don't see that suitable for a luxury car, whereas an ivory white has always looked classy but is very rare now. Black is still the de facto colour for executive cars, especially if they are chauffeur driven. I had a beautiful carmine red XJ40 Jag once and I really liked that but it is not my favourite colour and can look very dated, these days if not in perfect condition and not on an Alfa or Ferrari. Whilst for me I could never drive around in a bright yellow car of any make, that RS4 looks smart and I imagine very rare.

What I do know is I will never have another metallic painted car in any colour. They look stellar when just washed but soon look like they have a thin layer of dust over them and if the clearcoat is not A+ perfect, they can look quite dull and show wash/buffing swirls more easily if the sun catches them at an angle. The pearlescent Black on my car looks lovely when just cleaned but it is the same and non metallic black always looks more striking and shiny to me. I'm not sure what colour I would ideally like next but I would like a lighter less dark interior - that just seems more claustrophobic always to me too and I'm not a fan of the S-line grey/black leather B7 combinations either.

What happened with the RS4 in the OP, Rob?
The grey one that I started the thread with is still for sale.
On paper is sounded ideal, not really the colour I wanted but given the limited amount for sale It was a possible , but I was put off by the dealer to be honest so gave it a miss, thus my quest continues.

If anyone knows of an Imola RS4 B7 avant for sale, pm me.

cheers
rob

Reactions: spartacus 68
They do exist occasionally. Check out this absolute minter - now sold unfortunately.

With only 2k miles, now that’s my sort of car, probably bonkers price though.

I gave them a call this afternoon to find out , no reply as yet , but agreed , probably around the £40k mark.
A rare item with that allmost delivery mileage.

Not sure I can loose that much from the pension pot.

• Haha
Reactions: spartacus 68 and Gmac
9 years ago!! Friends B6 S4 and B7 RS4, my b5, 8l and the rr.
IMG 4051
IMG 4058

Reactions: Rob Avant, B7Tourer and Charlie Farley
I gave them a call this afternoon to find out , no reply as yet , but agreed , probably around the £40k mark.
A rare item with that allmost delivery mileage.
It was an advert from 2008 , a bit out of date now.

It did seem to good to be true in 2023.
I think this one has featured somewhere here before but it was as recent as 2021:

213 miles from new (218 by the time it got to auction, I believe) is a lot more impressive then - £65,250 hammer price mind!

That’s a fair bit ,but, still less than a new RS3 or RS4 , and the B7 is by far a better car and build quality.

my cap on purchase price is going to have to be £30k absolute tops.
If I need to wait for something then albeit, I’ve been stung before making a rash descision so won’t make the same mistake a third time.
I’m a lot wiser now than I used to be.

In truth I'm a bit eccentric, say my friends. No false modesty or bragging but I could afford a new good car or a very good second hand one but since I am successfully self employed, that doesn't make any sense to me business wise. All my friends with nice new cars, stretched out on the never never tell me I don't understand why you don't get a new one. But I love my old plain B7 and I have a 'Whatever it takes philosophy' to keeping it tip top, that most with a 17 year old banger wouldn't or can't justify. It's novelty to me is the high mileage, soon beyond the 1/4 million, and largely original everything - to see how long we can go on together. It has everything I need and is as tractable as any new one but it has no value to anyone but me. I may get a second newer car (for Ulez and backup now) but I just don't have the time to devote to the hobby more. I really enjoy reading about you guys fine motors and dedication though. :)

Reactions: tr7
A brand spanking new car is something I have never been lucky enough to own, I've had some nearly new ones from a milage/previous owner point of view but not nearly new as in a year old etc.
I have my old bus which is brilliant and does all that is asked of it, it won't last forever but will suffice my ownership.
I don't believe in finance on cars, I appreciate its the norm these days but not for me, If I can't pay in full then I won't be buying it full stop.
Investing in a nice RS4 now at 60 is fulfilling a dream, something I've wanted since I first saw one and with the help of my average pension pot I can realise that dream and it will be 100% mine.
On the flip side , it means using a large lump of that hard-earned pension pot to fund it but it won't be a wasted effort, I'm very confident I will recoup my outlay plus a bit when the time comes to part company with it, so I get to own that special car and still get back my outlay which is why i'm doing this now, a win win situation.
Lets say i have to use £30k, i'm not planning on going to the max but if needs must, compare this amount to a new car, what sort of car would one get for £30k tomorrow, not as much as you'd think and it would be nothing compared to a B7 RS4 Avant.
By finding the best example I can and that i like makes recouping my outlay more likely later on, all S & RS used values on on the rise and RS4 B7 values are very good , but i'm not buying for the investment factor/flipping profit, I'm buying into a dream, my dream and the buoyant resale values will just ensure my short term dip into my pot of cash will not be wasted and i wont be at a loss, well I hope not.
I want to enjoy the moment without the attachments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmac and B7Tourer