New Tyres Recommendations

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
Just picked up my RS3 from service and have a bulge in a front tyre.

It's PZeros i have with 4.5mm tread left.

So do i replace both tyres? Or just one?

And do i stick to PZero's or getting something else?

All help and advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Reactions: Daggerit

Thanks
I stuck Michelin PS4S's on mine and really like them, it originally came on the Bridgestones rather than the Pirelli's though. Some people rate them, others prefer different options so it can be a personal preference thing as much as outright performance I'd say. The Michelins are expensive, but I've done 6k miles on them and they're still at 6 mm tread, and I've not been babying them the whole time or anything.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and IanL-RS3

Thanks

For me it’s between these

d00fd6b6668db51298afa61fc4470d31.png

145532794e8b99f376ef3b8d90c718e6.png

ebadc0007030037e55dd21ddfa8864a0.png

342b2361d36acb40d7fbc8b72d23d79f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always change in pairs.

I have had both the PZero's and the Bridgestone Potenza Sport.

Bridgestone wins hands down,( Grip & Longevity ) but the Pzeros look better due to the massive Rim Protector.

For me it’s between these

d00fd6b6668db51298afa61fc4470d31.png

ebadc0007030037e55dd21ddfa8864a0.png

342b2361d36acb40d7fbc8b72d23d79f.png

Thanks any idea if any of these have the massive rim protector that the PZeros have?

I have been saved by those (especially in london when parking)

I always change in pairs.

I have had both the PZero's and the Bridgestone Potenza Sport.

Bridgestone wins hands down,( Grip & Longevity ) but the Pzeros look better due to the massive Rim Protector.
Thanks - will change in pairs.

I must admit i have been saved by the rim protector a few times! So that is a bigger factor that maybe it should be!

Thanks any idea if any of these have the massive rim protector that the PZeros have?

I have been saved by those (especially in london when parking)

Not sure, but I imagine they are the ‘blocky’ sidewall design, like Michelins / Bridgestones which I was never a great fan of because they make the wheels look bigger from side on.
I do like the OEM Pirelli ‘look’ though.

I do wonder if the rim protection on the Pirelli’s is actually better than the Bridgestone or Michelins or if it just looks like it because they’re so much less square on the sidewalls. The PS4S’s seem to be fairly decent protection in reality.

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to take a photo to show the rim protection on anything they have on their cars (eg Bridgestones or Michelin or Continentals).

Thanks in advance

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to take a photo to show the rim protection on anything they have on their cars (eg Bridgestones or Michelin or Continentals).

Thanks in advance

• Love
Reactions: IanL-RS3
That's quite a good rim protector on that. Thanks very much. I'll go for them - unless convinced otherwise :)

For reference, the Michelin is about the same for rim protection but in my limited (4500 miles) experience of the Bridgestones they wore noticeably faster than the Michelins.

For reference, the Michelin is about the same for rim protection but in my limited (4500 miles) experience of the Bridgestones they wore noticeably faster than the Michelins.

Thanks for that

Pilot Sport 4s?

Yes indeed!

Cheers

Hunt it on to see what i can get fitted this weekend! Either the Bridgestones or MPS4.

Thank for your help and to everyone else too.

My car came with the bridgestones, only lasted about 7000 miles. I then changed to continental conti 7s,,, alot of torque steer. Now im on ps4s and love them. Ill get a pik in morning for the rim protection.

My car came with the bridgestones, only lasted about 7000 miles. I then changed to continental conti 7s,,, alot of torque steer. Now im on ps4s and love them. Ill get a pik in morning for the rim protection.
Thanks

I have gone with the Bridgestones as Halfords have 15% off them at the moment so they come in at £460 a pair. I also got their tyre insurance included (for what it's worth)

But a pic would be great for next year. Thanks

Another vote for the Michelins here. Changing from P Zeroes to those on the M3 was a game changer. Also agree - changing in pairs.

Thanks

I have gone with the Bridgestones as Halfords have 15% off them at the moment so they come in at £460 a pair. I also got their tyre insurance included (for what it's worth)

But a pic would be great for next year. Thanks
Fair enough, but just for some man maths, if they only last 7-10k miles versus a projected 15-20k on the likes of my Michelins then you'll be paying almost double in the longer term. Just something to bear in mind. :)

Fair enough, but just for some man maths, if they only last 7-10k miles versus a projected 15-20k on the likes of my Michelins then you'll be paying almost double in the longer term. Just something to bear in mind. :)
That's true but (finger in the air) I only see end of life in less than half the tyres I buy. Especially on the X5. Big wide tyres. Crap roads and changing in pairs. And now on the RS3, 6600 miles and 4.5mm left but got a bulge.

But I do hear ya.

The rim protector is also a factor and the guy in a comparison video only mentioned Goodyear and Bridgestone as having rim protection.

Just for reference, here’s the rim protection on the Michelins. You can see there’s about 8-10mm protection.

f0f4d15c6cdcdc1762a3d6ed5e1af019.jpg

Reactions: Frankel and IanL-RS3
Not that its the be all and end all but are the PS4S's quieter than the stock tyres which roar a lot on the wrong road surfaces?

Reactions: IanL-RS3 and Daggerit
Not that its the be all and end all but are the PS4S's quieter than the stock tyres which roar a lot on the wrong road surfaces?

I can’t say I’ve really noticed much difference either way to be honest.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK

Not much in it from the Pirellis but they are quieter. I do notice they are quieter on those concrete sections than the Bridgestone all-seasons I use in the winter.

I used this video to help my decision
The only problem I have is IMHO the RS3 needs a better tyre than the PS4/PS5. For me, until the S5 comes out mainstream I am sticking with the 4S.

Again all depends on the use you give the car and what you expect of it.

Sorry just to add, bit of a rubbish pic but thats the rim protection on the ps4s

If you are after the Bridgestones....£221.99 fitted. I've not fully checked but seeing it's double "A" and 69dB on the tyre label for it then that should be the AO version.
www.tyre-shopper.co.uk (National Tyres)

Attachments

• 1697997692617.png
    1697997692617.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 52
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s without of doubt unless your budget permits otherwise.

I think everyone would generally agree to change them in pairs.

Depending on how old the opposite axel is I would consider rotating the tyres at the same time.

• Wow
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s without of doubt unless your budget permits otherwise.

I think everyone would generally agree to change them in pairs.

Depending on how old the opposite axel is I would consider rotating the tyres at the same time.
I'd be avoiding rotating front to rear with tyres of completely different sizes... :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: ipd56, DangerMouseUK and IanL-RS3
I'd be avoiding rotating front to rear with tyres of completely different sizes... :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

lol random replies from people that don’t even own an RS3

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, IanL-RS3 and Daggerit
I have always been impressed with the Goodyear Asymmetric. I had them in 19 inch on my A5 (V6 Tdi Quattro) and decided to put them onto the TTRS in order to get shop of the horrible factory fitted Pirelli's, they were shocking on cooler wet days, I would have changed them sooner if I had used the car year round.

My RS3 has been factory supplied with Bridgestone's but I've not had any opportunity to test them and still have fewer than 100 miles on the car! I want to get the car detailed and protected before properly using it!

The comment of only getting 7K miles from a set of the original OE tyre had ne a bit shocked. But I notice this What Car press car which has been abused a bit, exceeded 10K on the factory fit Bridgestone tyres. Good to see it advisable to replace before they hit the legal limit though.

View: https://youtu.be/mjhIyf1UjgI?feature=shared

Last edited:
I'm on 11k with the factory fitted Bridgestones on the rear. They are getting to the replacing stage but still going. Fronts I had to change due to a pothole bulge.
Pirelli's on my 8V were shocking. Barely lasted 5K. They just didn't work on the 8V with horrendous inside wear. I had 6mm on the outside and through to the innards of the Tyre on the inside.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, IanL-RS3 and Barmybobuk
Jesus, such a brain dead review

IMG 4254

• Haha
Reactions: Frankel, Daggerit, kayemill and 1 other person
What is the difference between the Michelin ps4s dt1 and the regular ps4s?
It is just a tread pattern variance either for a manufacturer like Audi AO or maybe a slight evolution of the PS4S before the PS5S is generally released like a change in design or materials. They have used this on a couple of tyres. Not sure about any change or improvement but I would not mix them across an axle and myself I would replace like for like unless doing all 4.

Reactions: Gazza84
I’ve had the Bridgestones on for 7k miles and the car is 1 year old now, tread is about 3mm on front and not far behind on rear tyres so I’m changing to ps4s all round. Was just wondering if the ps4s dt1 would be better in any way…

Really shocked at how poor the durability was on the Bridgestones.