Door seals rattling at cold weather

JKP

Reaction score
When temperature drops near zero °C, the door seals (at least the driver's door) start to rattle, and the lower the temperature is, the worse is the sound. I collected the car in wintertime and this was the case from a day one, but I thought maybe summer fixes it. Well it didn't... I have lubed the seals carefully, that helped a bit on spring but didn't make the ratlle go completely away.

Anybody else experienced this? I'm considering to complain about it to the dealer, but I guess if this isn't a common problem they just add more lube to the seals and the result is just useless visit to the dealer. My old car did this a bit but only when it was really cold. It had another seal issues though, two of them were replaced multiple times.

Haven't had near freezing temperatures yet, but I picked up my '23 S3 about a month ago and I immediately noticed the door seals are a bit hard. It definitely takes some time getting used to closing all the doors, for example. I'm planning to massage the seals with plenty of silicone lube and see how that will do for their first winter. It's what I've done every fall with all my cars so far, so I'm counting on it to help with this car as well.

Do you find the a3 doors need to be pulled hard to close? I often have to open door back up and slam to close

Do you find the a3 doors need to be pulled hard to close? I often have to open door back up and slam to close
Yes, I had to do that almost every time for the first week. Passengers still need to slam a bit harder, but it's improved a lot already. I'm pretty sure it's just the seals getting "run in" at this stage.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Yes, that's how it was in the beginning, but it was quite a short period. After a while the doors have been easy to close, almost like just let off of the door and it closes nicely.

But the damned seals keep rattling when it's cold, even though the car has been used ten months now.

Not sure if its the same issue you are referring to, i have a slight rattle on drivers door when playing music. I have been to Audi, who have, said its a cable rattling against the door card, they added the fabric tape around the wires and it has definitely improved it but still there occasionally.