B7 general discussion/chat thread.

nothing in my letter box as yet, not that it really matter now as mine booked in.

Reactions: northpole
Found my OBD 11 dongle today but it’s not working :sob: get this same message on the Golf and the A4…

IMG 6245

I’ve tried multiple times resetting my phone. Reconnecting the dongle, with ignition on only and with engine running. Software and app are up to date. Also have 80 days left on my plan. It’s reading the cars and connecting, just doesn’t want to scan.

As the sun was out today and my recuperation seems to be going well I decided to take the old bus out for a nice drive, not miles but a nice 30-minute blast to clean out the cobwebs for the old bus and me..lol
Other than a 2-mile sedate and careful drive to the Mot last week, it seems like forever since I've given the old bus a good drive, and it didn't disappoint. :yahoo:
Doing the cam chain, adjuster and tensioner back at the end of March has made a big difference to the engine rattle/ticking sound on idle, well it is silent now, and a vcds are still showing all timing figures to be spot on.

Out on the country roads around here it really goes well and having been off the road to speak I really noticed the great performance from it and it all makes sense now why i bought 10 years ago, its brilliant and handles a dream.
Having not driven it for almost 7 weeks , then jumping in and driving it one really notices how good the old bus is when out on the roads, brilliant stuff.:rock:
So happy days again.
not now as my body won't permit crawling around the engine just yet but I'll be doing the oil cooler/filter housing gasket leak and the oil pump free wheel mod, all the parts are here just waiting to be fitted.

Off on Monday to get the some falkens fitted to the 19" lemans so that will be nice.:thumbs up:

might treat the old bus to a proper paint work refurb job next month , it needs some bits doing and a darn good polish etc.

Anyway
Allways something to do, but at the moment life with a 17 year old b7 bus is very good.:yahoo:
Great to hear you are on the mend.... must have been a good opportunity to blow the cobwebs out so to speak.

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
I suspect they are but to save me digging about on the web does anyone know if b6/7 rear door glass and frames the same
Are these worth hanging on to ?
95b900d2fecc153e5c4bb634158254e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rear door frames are not the same shape i'm affraid... the roofline on the b7 is slightly different and almost unnoticeable by eye, but put the 2 cars next to eachother and you'll see it. Fronts are the same though. The rear door without the window frame is the same.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
Anyone remember the imola yellow jap import s4 ,think it went for about 3k on eBay

Anyone remember the imola yellow jap import s4 ,think it went for about 3k on eBay

we do, we were watching it on ebay wondering what it would go for , was tempted as a project. see it has jumped up £5k though !! Love the bit about clean, rust free, no salt. Well its in scotland now near the sea so that wont last for long :)

Reactions: northpole and Jamsmoo
If he gets close to his asking price he’s made a tidy sum I reckon

Mweh it's yellow not for me and deffo not at that price.. he didn't fit a Thatcham approved alarm so guess what anyone buying it will get the insurer saying that it will be needing that fitted, since it's an import. Yes it has one from the factory but hey ho insurers will demand one fitted anyway.

So even if you can get it below his asking price you are looking at at least another 1500 at todays prices and labour costs to have an aftermarket approved Thatcham alarm fitted with the appropriate paperwork and remember this is to a car that already has that option from the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamsmoo
with the recent hike in road tax on the big petrol engines and fuel prices not looking good for the foreseeable future, the big V8's are less of an attractive purchase, unless they are mint country-specific variants that are just kept for investment or just as a collection car.
I'm still on the lookout for one , but, i'd rarely use it which is kinda a waste of a brilliant car.

Given the coice i know which of these i'd have... :yahoo:

Reactions: Rob Avant, swisstony and northpole
Only one option there really and that is the oldest one of the 2 for a collection. But for a daily... the B7 RS4 avant ticks all the boxes... a shame I can't find one cheap enough because if I would, it would be my daily.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
yep agreed :thumbs up: ,the new RS flavors are nice but have lost the plot style-wise in my eyes, just looks like any other mainstream angular bus, ok, the performance will be brilliant but it's not always about the BHP and tech stuff, well not for me anyway.
There is a guy just a few minutes walk down the lane from us with a new RS6 Avant on the driveway in what I'd describe as battleship grey , or grey undercoat , it looks just plain and naff, doesn't do anything for me and style is just , well its just another A6 to look at, not impressed externally.

Yeah tech today is nice but all the cars look the same... I mean how they actually managed to turn the rs6 from today into an extra large Ford Focus estate just doesn't do it for me...

Nope the older audi's stands out while blending in and that part is lost nowadays.

Saw such a nice RS6 Avant earlier on the M3, frozen black.
Man this thing was imposing, massively wide track they've got.

Saw such a nice RS6 Avant earlier on the M3, frozen black.
Man this thing was imposing, massively wide track they've got.
Yeah as I said before they remind me of a Ford focus rs estate on steroids... way to loud to blend in. The c6 rs6 and the b7 rs4 are the last 2 models that have that subtle styling.

B7 RS4 Avant FTW... the sedan is just missing the mark by 15% less space, coolness and stealthyness hell any B7 that isn't an avant is missing the mark in my book... IMHO some cars need to be in estate form to be the best of the bunch.

Reactions: Rob Avant and Charlie Farley
Agreed and I've always maintained that, but, either flavor B7's are brilliant cars just which one chooses is a personal preference, i'd have either but i find the Avant has the edge in looks and functionality, the Avant just ticks all the boxes and in RS form it's such a brilliant car.
When I find my perfect RS B7 it will be preferable in Avant format but will happily look at a saloon if the right one comes along.

Reactions: Rob Avant and northpole
Lol if b7 rs4 comes up in any other form than an avant I won't get it as I know I'll strip it and fit the lot into my avant... I know the rear quarters will have to be reskinned so I rather it doesn't happen at all.

Best to get an original b7 rs4 avant and take it from there... less hassle.

lol you aren't the only one... the first time i actually saw the b7 RS4 Avant i said: I'll get one one day, when they are devalued at the max and one that needs work (bringing the price down and giving me the oppertunity to start the power increase mods from day one of ownership) But it has to be an avant but i'll also settle for a Q7 just because it looks good (even the cheapest specced ones look good)