Recuperation option 1.5 MHEV

llordlucan

Reaction score
Do any of you have a option to turn of recuperation under Car>efficiency?
I was in a 23 with same 1.5 mhev engine as my 2020 today and that had this option where mine doesnt. The characteristics of the 23 was much smoother braking and slowing down.

Ya I have the option Feb 21 build. Apparently there was a software update for the mild hybrid system released last month mine is very jerky so I have it turned off and I'm getting a jolt on the break pedal. The update is supposed to cure it. Hopefully my dealer can find the update.

Reactions: llordlucan
Ya I have the option Feb 21 build. Apparently there was a software update for the mild hybrid system released last month mine is very jerky so I have it turned off and I'm getting a jolt on the break pedal. The update is supposed to cure it. Hopefully my dealer can find the update.
Interesting. So turning it off stops the issues with jerking ? Shame i cant turn mine off .

I've had a 2020 model and my current one is a 2023 one. There was a mention of the recuperation on/off setting in the manual of the 2020 car, but the option wasn't there in the car settings. The 2023 car does have it, but when I tested it, it seemed to do nothing. That single jolt during braking was still there. I thought it was a falut in the older car, but it seems to be characteristic to the mild hybrid powertrain. I actually prefered how the MHEV system operated in the older car, though the new one is indeed less jerky.

Where did you find out there's an update, and is it for all the 1.5 MHEV cars or just some of the older ones? My car is currently at the dealer, and if that's correct info, I'm gonna ask them to do the update. When I booked the dealer last week, I asked if there were open campaigns for the car and they told there aren't any. I even booked the dealer basically because of the clutch jerking sometimes when starting to move, so it's powertrain related.

(Of course it entirely stopped doing that before the drop time, so they found out nothing. Funny enough they found some problem in the driver's seat airbags, and that's why it's still in there over the weekend.)

I think the update is for older 1.5's. I found it on a German forum if you use Google chrome it will translate it to English.

I asked the dealer about the update. They told me there actually is one and they are gonna apply it today. Excited to find out what the car feels like after the update. So thanks @Fuelnut for telling about it!

No problem I'm going to try my dealer soon but they are hard work. I need to get the recall done so I'll ask about the update as well.

As someone who is picking up their TFSIe this week - are you saying the car is better with it turned on or off?

TFSIe is a "real" hybrid so it's not comparable with the MHEV cars. Turning it off in PHEV cars shortens the electric drive range.

TFSIe is a "real" hybrid so it's not comparable with the MHEV cars. Turning it off in PHEV cars shortens the electric drive range.
Ah gotcha, cheers. Wasn't sure if MHEV and PHEV were just interchangeable terms, alas they are not!

MHEV is just combustion engine assisted with a generator. It doesn't run on electcic only. As you might have heard from the neighbour camp, the M stands for "marketing"... that's about the same in "mild hybrid electric vehicle" abbreviation, as it doesn't even have the driving battery.

Reactions: jdw2525
I asked the dealer about the update. They told me there actually is one and they are gonna apply it today. Excited to find out what the car feels like after the update. So thanks @Fuelnut for telling about it!
@JKP Let us know how it goes - Also if you have the TPI number for the update that would be great.

@llordlucan Finally got the car back today, and they told they couldn't apply the update since my car had different engine control unit to what the update is for. They promised to inform me if the update will be expanded to cover the unit in my car too. So I'll come back later if that happens.