A3 alloy wheel repair/replace

Rc1938

Reaction score
To say I'm fuming at myself is an understatement...

Yesterday I managed to completely kerb my nearside rear wheel (pretty badly - i.e. half of the whole alloy is done) in the dark & pouring rain (the excuse I am using).. Anyway I now have a pretty ugly alloy - see below.

Was wondering if anyone else has done similar/worse and been able to get it repaired or do you reckon it will be a replace job (never kerbed one before so not got any experience of how much can be repaired lol) & how much do you reckon it will run me :( . Also, if anyone has any recommendations for alloy repair companies in the Leeds area it would be appreciated.

P.S. Sheffield train station drop off is a nightmare don't even bother way too busy

Attachments

• IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0996.jpeg
    IMG_0996.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
To say I'm fuming at myself is an understatement...

Yesterday I managed to completely kerb my nearside rear wheel (pretty badly - i.e. half of the whole alloy is done) in the dark & pouring rain (the excuse I am using).. Anyway I now have a pretty ugly alloy - see below.

Was wondering if anyone else has done similar/worse and been able to get it repaired or do you reckon it will be a replace job (never kerbed one before so not got any experience of how much can be repaired lol) & how much do you reckon it will run me :( . Also, if anyone has any recommendations for alloy repair companies in the Leeds area it would be appreciated.

P.S. Sheffield train station drop off is a nightmare don't even bother way too busy
That can repaired - will need to be recut and painted. Transalloy Wheels in Birstall did a full refurb on my TTS Alloys and they came back looking factory fresh so would recommend giving them a go. if you send them some pics and they will they give you a price for the repair. They also do a collect and delivery service if you need it.

One thing to be aware of if the wheel has any audi sport logos these can be lost depending what needs doing to repair the wheel But You can get some transfers to replace these which Transalloy can apply to the wheel before the final lacquer coat is applied

I did this on a previous car. Went to Whoops Wheels Fix it near Hendon stn London. Half a day and about £80 (this was 4 yrs back). Went in too hot, as found a parallel parking spot, went in head first (now I see why one should always reverse in), and wheel to the curb first too with a SCRAAAPPPEEE sound!

If I looked really closely with a torch and magnifying glass after the fix, could see where it was fixed but nah without the glass cannot see. So yea you should be able to fix it.

I've curbed 3 out 4 wheels in less than 6 months of driving this car. The first one was a really nasty hit, I even got a small cut in my tire. The other two cases are typical parallel parking scenarios. I know my parking skills are far from perfect and my city has some pretty terrible and uneven curbs, but I still feel this is excessive damage for such a short time. Especially considering the fact that I've driven many other cars and have never had such damage happen to me before. The deciding factor? I'd say definitely the rim width vs the tire width. For some reason, the 8Y S3's rims protrude way too much when compared to all other cars I've driven.

I've come to the conclusion that:
A) I either need some wider tires (though not sure how much wider I can go up front - 235 maybe?)
B) I'm going to have to treat those wheels as consumables and eventually replace them.

The 'auto'park function once sent me into the curb (well actually it parked the fronts so close to the curb I couldn't fit my pinky finger there), so of course when I tried my best to get out, it curbed a little. Of course as my rims were not diamond cut, i just filled it with touch up paint, can't see it now. If your alloys aren't fully diamond cut, maybe get some alloygators or similar?