Thoughts on this one (and moving from an FL5)

FD2R

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at chopping in my FL5 type r for an RS3.

After something with a bit better build quality, some more creature comforts (sunroof a must for me), a better sound track and still a decent drive albeit a little softer relatively speaking.

I think the RS3 could be the ticket, anyone have experience of both? I have spoken to a couple of RS3 owners who have told me to think long and hard before making the move as a could find the RS3 a bit dull.

Have seen the below car at Auto 100 which I really like the colour / spec and importantly price. Anyone know the car?

Also lots of software issues in Audi ATM, so again think longgggggg.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Hmmm can’t shift it look at the drop since Jan

I had an 8Y for 2 years and sold it 3 weeks ago.

Check insurance first as there’s been a massive jump, mine went from £500 to 2.5k this year,

It’s a quiet 5 pot these days.
9076ae7986e7f6f74682e5ad9a0ce587.jpg

Sent from under the bridge…..

True, very buggy mmi software / whole car software lol.
Dealers are S***e which makes owning one much more miserable than it should be.

I’d be very very cautious the OP shouldn’t overpay for one, you only have to look at Fudbook to see there’s loads trying to move them on, with no success.

Imagine having a PCP on one taken out in 2021 and trying to move it on now, painfull for someone I bet.

Reactions: RS03??? and davc
Hi all

Looking at chopping in my FL5 type r for an RS3.

After something with a bit better build quality, some more creature comforts (sunroof a must for me), a better sound track and still a decent drive albeit a little softer relatively speaking.

I think the RS3 could be the ticket, anyone have experience of both? I have spoken to a couple of RS3 owners who have told me to think long and hard before making the move as a could find the RS3 a bit dull.

Have seen the below car at Auto 100 which I really like the colour / spec and importantly price. Anyone know the car?

Be very careful….

e65190be61402a73f08a5f9b0e59c701.jpg

Tbh the quieter the better for me lol.

As for insurance, it's really quite ridiculous, principle basis only, mine should never have gone up, but they added about 30%, but 400% increase is mental.

Guess we're paying for all these fxckwit Muppets in midlands thinking it's Silverstone.

Tbh need some old times NY Mayor Guilliani justice, no 2nd chances, allot of traffic stops, some really hard policing, back to the old days of mouthing of a copper gets you a very cold hard reaction, all this stupid woke mental health bs they use as an excuse in court, sure your mental health made you drive at 120 mph in your uninsured RS3 killing people & walked out of court smiling, enough of this softly softly approach, then the insurance should go down as the stupidity would hopefully lower too & yes you were right from previous chats, always the same personas for a better word.

Reactions: spartacus 68, RS03???, davc and 1 other person
Tbh the quieter the better for me lol.

As for insurance, it's really quite ridiculous, principle basis only, mine should never have gone up, but they added about 30%, but 400% increase is mental.

Guess we're paying for all these fxckwit Muppets in midlands thinking it's Silverstone.

Tbh need some old times NY Mayor Guilliani justice, no 2nd chances, allot of traffic stops, some really hard policing, back to the old days of mouthing of a copper gets you a very cold hard reaction, all this stupid woke mental health bs they use as an excuse in court, sure your mental health made you drive at 120 mph in your uninsured RS3 killing people & walked out of court smiling, enough of this softly softly approach, then the insurance should go down as the stupidity would hopefully lower too & yes you were right from previous chats, always the same personas for a better word.

True. Here’s another example

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5Ex5mDC1EZ/?igsh=MW9pdHVvNmpudW5kNg==

Lol the comments on that are priceless.

If you see those cars in Mayfair in that state, it's usually again the same personas & generally speaking they drive into central just to act like numpties & rev there exhaust then they drive back out to surrounding lol, it's pathetic tbh.

Mayfair generally has slow driving albeit ridiculously priced cars, I live in central so I know the areas well, it's super car season soon, so the madness of uninsured Arab world rich kids begins soon, thankfully iirc they now confiscate these cars if they're uninsured etc of which allot were, they never did several years ago which I always found ridiculous.

I always found it amazing how they spend all the oil money on this shxt but don't actually help the minorities, Dubai etc was built on the back of thousand's of migrants workers from India, Pakistan etc, that weren't paid, passports taken away , no healthcare & slept in 50 degree heat basically in shop container's with no Aircon etc & that's a fact btw as I read an authenticated article, that's why I have no respect for them at all, then they come here act like absolute tw4ts on the road.

My point is, as I'm laying the road so to speak, this is the attitude that has now made the young men believe this is acceptable behaviour in this country as they try to associate themselves with the life style of these visitors, at some point it needs to stop.

Lol the comments on that are priceless.

If you see those cars in Mayfair in that state, it's usually again the same personas & generally speaking they drive into central just to act like numpties & rev there exhaust then they drive back out to surrounding lol, it's pathetic tbh.

Mayfair generally has slow driving albeit ridiculously priced cars, I live in central so I know the areas well, it's super car season soon, so the madness of uninsured Arab world rich kids begins soon, thankfully iirc they now confiscate these cars if they're uninsured etc of which allot were, they never did several years ago which I always found ridiculous.

I always found it amazing how they spend all the oil money on this shxt but don't actually help the minorities, Dubai etc was built on the back of thousand's of migrants workers from India, Pakistan etc, that weren't paid, passports taken away , no healthcare & slept in 50 degree heat basically in shop container's with no Aircon etc & that's a fact btw as I read an authenticated article, that's why I have no respect for them at all, then they come here act like absolute tw4ts on the road.

My point is, as I'm laying the road so to speak, this is the attitude that has now made the young men believe this is acceptable behaviour in this country as they try to associate themselves with the life style of these visitors, at some point it needs to stop.
Too much Pandering to Instagram / Tic Twok lifestyles also.
Photos / videos of losers driving cars hard / recklessly and then you get the ones that plaster pictures of their cars (RS3’s ) with them sat on / leaning against it and some daft comment / statement attached.

Reactions: RS03???, davc and NHN
Agreed, I have no issues with people wanting to enjoy the fruits of there labour or as allot of cases, their parents, if they want to post pics of there cars etc, that's just life, but when they cause really bad situations of which affects others in the worst way, that's a line crossed & tbh the police need to truly start coming down harder in these areas & put a stop to it.

These car meets where they unofficially close.of roads & wheel spinning, generally driving like fxxkwits, police should turn up ticket them all with huge fines, points to the point where they eventually get the point.

Mouthing of to police needs to be met now with fines & verbal abuse laws of some kind, people have totally lost respect for the police as this woke BS has take over.

I remember when if you were rude to a copper, you'd remember the response & not do it again lol

Enough is enough.

Agreed, I have no issues with people wanting to enjoy the fruits of there labour or as allot of cases, their parents, if they want to post pics of there cars etc, that's just life, but when they cause really bad situations of which affects others in the worst way, that's a line crossed & tbh the police need to truly start coming down harder in these areas & put a stop to it.

These car meets where they unofficially close.of roads & wheel spinning, generally driving like fxxkwits, police should turn up ticket them all with huge fines, points to the point where they eventually get the point.

Mouthing of to police needs to be met now with fines & verbal abuse laws of some kind, people have totally lost respect for the police as this woke BS has take over.

I remember when if you were rude to a copper, you'd remember the response & not do it again lol

Enough is enough.
With regard to 'Car meets' I agree with your comments but be carefull what you wish for, these things tend to come with added extra's like a total ban on any car meet or needing a Council permit for any 'meet' above a certain number.

Years ago (70's) 6 mates in a Canvas topped Land Rover gave a copper on a bike the customary 'get off and milk it' as they passed him, they then pulled in to a fuel station, minutes later in pedals plod on his bike, goes to rear of open Land Rover, he gave the lad a real SLAP then peddled off :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: spartacus 68, Chasriff, RS03??? and 1 other person
I can't remember off the top of my head what SW version my car has (built Apr'22) but apart from the VC changing display occasionally, I'm probably quite lucky and was told so when I enquired about the dealer applying the latest version.

They told me themselves that the software was rubbish and would only apply updates if there were serious issues with it.

Reactions: NHN
100% blame on the Social Media across the globe on how to behave like a t3at, post it, be proud and getaway with it. Long gone are the days when someone older and wiser can object or utter a word.

Reactions: 8YARWY and NHN
Car meets here in the States have gotten so bad, many of today's high-powered muscle cars (Demons, Camaros, Mustangs, etc.) are banned due to the behavior and accidents caused. These high horsepower cars are relatively inexpensive so any chucklehead with a regular job can get a multi-year loan and get these things, and they have the mental maturity of a nine-year old. The famous last words of someone who chucks their car over the median because the tires are cold and he has 700 hp on tap: "Here, hold my beer and watch this".

Reactions: spartacus 68, RS03???, 8YARWY and 1 other person
Car meets here in the States have gotten so bad, many of today's high-powered muscle cars (Demons, Camaros, Mustangs, etc.) are banned due to the behavior and accidents caused. These high horsepower cars are relatively inexpensive so any chucklehead with a regular job can get a multi-year loan and get these things, and they have the mental maturity of a nine-year old. The famous last words of someone who chucks their car over the median because the tires are cold and he has 700 hp on tap: "Here, hold my beer and watch this".

This is an example of ‘normal’ social media behaviour in the Uk, no regard for other road users, no wonder the RS3 is getting a bad rep, even insurance providers are getting wise now…..

Utter ball bag

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2Xq4FmNrYY/?igsh=cXJ6YW04cDEzbnF3

Last edited:
Reactions: davc, 8YARWY and spartacus 68
Are the software issues a big deal?

I looked at the car op posted. But I’m still wary of mileage blockers.

New M2 is looking favourite for me atm.

Buying from used independent dealers is a PITA now.

So many cars are SOR. I suspect the dealers have little interest in selling them then offer the owner peanuts after 6-8 months.

Not a huge thing, mine does odd stuff like memory seat doesnt (90% of the time) alter to the correct key, mostly it doesnt do anything and needs a push on the Memory button, when it does move automatically it's hit and miss whether it goes to my postion or the wifes.

Sometimes Auto Matrix lights wont start when it's dark, I have to turn them to manual then back to Auto, sometimes they go to dip when street lights are present, sometimes they dont.

Sat Nav has an annoying habit of 'instaling new data base' or 'initiating' the later for no apparent reason

Reactions: Kev.k
Most annoying thing for me is when I reverse out the garage and my phone connects to Apple Car Play the radio goes off. You need to go back to the radio then back into the app. Also does it randomly as well. Mind you, my Polo does the exact same thing randomly so it might be an Apple thing rather than an Audi/VW thing. Personally I would say go for it. I love my car. Just wish it sounded like my 8V PFL RS3. Not that it sounds terrible though.

Mine does that too and I've complained about it few times thinking if they have software fix for that. Dealer said there's no solution at the moment and it is related to some iPhone models. I don't like the auto connect thing at all, but you can only select it on or completely off, so that you have to go to phone's settings to turn it on to connect. Would be better if it connected only when I choose the carplay from MMI.

lol 80k

Who in there right minds

IMG 5586

Then there's the other end of the scale with this, shows how Audi interiors do not take miles very well, seats look knackered already.......

Last edited:
All of their prices are ridiculous. Do you think anyone actually pays that?
Lol does make you wonder, can't see it myself really, you'd be mad to.........

Always makes me laugh though, especially when the 'defenders' reply in threads, citing how they've been 'looked' after by AA, yeah right lets massively overpay by 15k

Reactions: RS03??? and kayemill
lol 80k

Who in there right minds

View attachment 275370

Then there's the other end of the scale with this, shows how Audi interiors do not take miles very well, seats look knackered already.......
That looks terrible and lowering makes it look like the suspension has collapsed and the body kit is way OTT.
The RS3 used to be a stylish q car but still had an appropriate level of 'presence'
There appears to be a move in some of the demographic who are buying these cars now would it be fair to say ?

Reactions: 8YARWY and RS03???
That is a real a8ortion, by my eyes.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
Thanks to all for the responses really interesting insights and a lengthy update from me following reading the above and a 1 hour unaccompanied test drive of a Vorsprung yesterday.

I didn’t proceed with the red saloon at auto100 for a couple of reasons:
My wife gave birth to our first child (baby boy now 3 weeks old).
& my personal preference being for a hatchback based on looks.

I won’t lie, having done a lot of lurking on forums etc. I am a bit disheartened by the frankly very unusual lack of love for these cars by many people that own them.

This leads me to ask myself why is this? Are people asking too much or is the car a genuine disappointment? For example people enjoyed the sound / ability to mod the 8v etc.

In a bit older and use my cars daily 12-15k per year to include work commitments. Not into mods and don’t classify (myself!) as a chav!

I have had all sorts of cars over the last 20 years and have had 718 GT4 / Cayman R / Macan GTS and Alfa Quad in recent years prior to my current midlife crisis with the FL5!

Notably, I flat out discounted a G80 based on lack of sound / drama.

Thanks to Bristol Audi for arranging the test drive. In summary, in this day and age where cars are expensive and don’t sound like they used to, I thought the car was fabulous.

Everything a league above the FL5 except for how it goes round a bend where the Honda has a beat, but the Audi being 4wd has a charm of its own and is a little more challenging to hussle along.

Performance is fantastic and the vorsprung cabin (a must for me) feels nice, my phone synced straight away no dramas etc.

I want one but don’t really want anything with many miles on do not sure if easier to go new or find something with a couple thousand miles.

Can someone point me in the direction of a simple thread re the mileage clocking?

Reactions: FBF01 and 8YARWY
Thanks to all for the responses really interesting insights and a lengthy update from me following reading the above and a 1 hour unaccompanied test drive of a Vorsprung yesterday.

I didn’t proceed with the red saloon at auto100 for a couple of reasons:
My wife gave birth to our first child (baby boy now 3 weeks old).
& my personal preference being for a hatchback based on looks.

I won’t lie, having done a lot of lurking on forums etc. I am a bit disheartened by the frankly very unusual lack of love for these cars by many people that own them.

This leads me to ask myself why is this? Are people asking too much or is the car a genuine disappointment? For example people enjoyed the sound / ability to mod the 8v etc.

In a bit older and use my cars daily 12-15k per year to include work commitments. Not into mods and don’t classify (myself!) as a chav!

I have had all sorts of cars over the last 20 years and have had 718 GT4 / Cayman R / Macan GTS and Alfa Quad in recent years prior to my current midlife crisis with the FL5!

Notably, I flat out discounted a G80 based on lack of sound / drama.

Thanks to Bristol Audi for arranging the test drive. In summary, in this day and age where cars are expensive and don’t sound like they used to, I thought the car was fabulous.

Everything a league above the FL5 except for how it goes round a bend where the Honda has a beat, but the Audi being 4wd has a charm of its own and is a little more challenging to hussle along.

Performance is fantastic and the vorsprung cabin (a must for me) feels nice, my phone synced straight away no dramas etc.

I want one but don’t really want anything with many miles on do not sure if easier to go new or find something with a couple thousand miles.

Can someone point me in the direction of a simple thread re the mileage clocking?
I’d wait for the facelift if I where you.

When is it due?

I know there won’t be many fans here but I’m getting close to going for a M2.

Such good value
I'd say we will see an unveiling just after summer so perhaps Q4 for ordering with a 15 year wait for deliveries lol........

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill

I am a big fan of RWD BMW, had lots of them over the years and they currently outnumber my 4wd VAG cars 2:1. But that is not why I bought an RS3 and an M2 no matter how good or cheap cannot do what the RS3 does.

4 doors and 4 proper seats seats, space to put stuff and the kind of stable, neutral handling that allows you to push on in all weathers even on the wrong tyres (the type of handling the so-called experts call boring and dead) are exactly why I buy an RS3. The noise and theatre are a welcome bonus.

I am not in an 8Y for many reasons and the facelift will not change that but given a choice between M2 and RS3 8Y I would still have to take the 8Y for what I use it for.

If you can make an M2 work for you it may well be the better car, if my use changes the RS3 will be gone and a Cayman GTS in its place but until then (or an ideal spec early B3 turns up) my RS3 is going nowhere.

Currently having a chat about this one:
Cant imagine I’ll be getting into a facelift vorsprung at that price anytime soon?

Not that bothered re saloon / hatch.

Will report back with finance details.

I looked at the car op posted. But I’m still wary of mileage blockers.

New M2 is looking favourite for me atm.

Buying from used independent dealers is a PITA now.

So many cars are SOR. I suspect the dealers have little interest in selling them then offer the owner peanuts after 6-8 months.
My Vorsprung Sepang RS3 is for sale...

Genuine car. Sadly though, I;m in the situation above where the PCP balance isn't keeping up with values so it won't be the cheapest car out there.

Currently having a chat about this one:
Cant imagine I’ll be getting into a facelift vorsprung at that price anytime soon?

Not that bothered re saloon / hatch.

Will report back with finance details.

That should be interesting on a £60k car...I thought that one of the reasons you didn't go for the red saloon was that you preferred the looks of the Sportback? The depreciation on these things is making my head spin. See example above posted by @8YARWY ...car lost £7000 (12% of its value) in 4 months. Wow.

My Vorsprung Sepang RS3 is for sale...

Genuine car. Sadly though, I;m in the situation above where the PCP balance isn't keeping up with values so it won't be the cheapest car out there.

Really nice car.

I think this is the situation with many private sellers across the board atm.

I just offered on a m2 with track pack so I’m waiting to see the outcome.

That should be interesting on a £60k car...I thought that one of the reasons you didn't go for the red saloon was that you preferred the looks of the Sportback? The depreciation on these things is making my head spin. See example above posted by @8YARWY ...car lost £7000 (12% of its value) in 4 months. Wow.

No different with other cars.

Market is correcting and we’re in recession.

I’ve had my 8Y for just over a year now and fairly happy with it. Though I have been a bit interested in a manual gearbox M2 lately. I mostly drive in manual and one of the things I dislike about the RS3 8Y is when in manual mode and hitting the red line it won’t bounce off the rev limiter or automatically change up, it just cuts out. I don’t understand why this is. I wonder if this will be changed on the facelift.

Litchfield M2…..

View: https://youtu.be/tet4xDobQ0M?si=LU5WJHqxdjIEgkQc

Reactions: Kev.k
No different with other cars.

Market is correcting and we’re in recession.
Mmm, you are right, times are a changing! When I sold my 18 month old M135i through Motorway in March 2022 I got more than I paid for it and I hadn't realised that things had gone downhill so quickly. I just did a random check of a couple of used cars on AT (a 2023 £30k M135i and a 2019 £40k RS3) and they had both been devalued by about 10% over the last 3-4 months.