Porsche "Big Reds" brakes

why not try bill @badger5?
he was one of the cheaper, if not cheapest places.
i've got the gt kit on my a3, but used ebc discs. i THINK, dont quote me on this, paid £840.
havent had any problems at all with the discs.
used motul rbf600 fluid, also from bill.
its a good setup, as used on my ihi'd golf. stopped that fine,evan from silly high speeds!

just orederd my kit today, looking at 4 to 6 weeks till i get my hands on them but will be paying either £800 or £850

Could the people with the Brembos or Big reds post pics in here also? :)

MVC-017S.jpg

MVC-024S.jpg

012.jpg

brembo kit with black s3 alloys, and last pic, is dark grey s3 alloys
edit----- no spacer. tight fit!

Ess, whats the difference between the monoblocks, bigreds and gt3's??

Ess, whats the difference between the monoblocks, bigreds and gt3's??

Big Reds are a 2 pc bolted calliper, from a 993 turbo. Only difference over all older 911 callipers is the fact that they were physically bigger, and red.

Monoblocks are ALL current Boxster, Cayman and Carrera callipers - probably Cayenne too, but I'm too uninterested to check.
Monoblocks are as the name suggests, a single piecs, and more rigid.

Porsche callipers are generally 4 pots...smaller pots at the rear.

Early GT3 used 4 pots front and rear, and are the same as the turbos and C4Ss.
Later GT3s used 6 pots on the front for bigger pad area.
In each case...the master cylinder is large enough to move the pistons.

Cheers!! So basically the master cylinder should be in proportinate ratio to the callipers used or its not goin to meet full potential!!! moral of the story, stick to the GT kit :thumbsup:

The drilled holes tend to clog up with brake dust and become the start point of radial cracking.

Hi Chris,
What you mentioned about radial cracking sounds worrying:crying:. Can you elaborate on the subject, as I noticed that my holes keep getting clogged up (so to speak), and I notice a burning smell when I use my brakes?

Cheers,
Glen

Cheers!! So basically the master cylinder should be in proportinate ratio to the callipers used or its not goin to meet full potential!!! moral of the story, stick to the GT kit :thumbsup:

Yeah...
You think that as standard, the MS has to move two pistons at the front, one per sliding calliper.
These take a certain amount of fluid movement to move them 1mm out...the more the pistons and the bigger the pistons, the more fluid the MS must move, so either you fit a big MS (as Porsche do) or you press the pedal further...giving a longer stroke and most likely less feel.

Only small differences in piston size can make big differences in pedal travel and feel.

Don't get me wrong...the brakes still work, and work well...but you have to push the pedal down further to get the braking...and this means the rears are being used harder than normal, giving the ABS system more work to do to avoid locking the rear up.

Personally, I'd choose one thats a reasonably good match...but having Porsche on my callipers isn't as much a priority as better working brakes!
To each their own though...if you don't really push the car, maybe you want the look over the usability (not you personally Scott...but some owners!)

Totally agree about the look and usability factor in that they work well and look good behind the 19s so its kinda win win!! I dont push too hard thats one reason i dont really need them but as they were already there when i purchased the car, it was a nice addition!!! I drove AKY's car a while back with the Gt kit on and there was no real difference in stopping power. Think theres a line to be drawn with the master cylinder in that anything better than a Gt kit stopping wise is useless and a waste of money (just bling adding unwanted weight)

Hi Chris,
What you mentioned about radial cracking sounds worrying:crying:. Can you elaborate on the subject, as I noticed that my holes keep getting clogged up (so to speak), and I notice a burning smell when I use my brakes?

Cheers,
Glen

danny_s3 said:

Cracks form at the holes and spread. Its partly down to the heating and cooling going on all the time. Drilled discs are more vunerable than those with the holes cast, but it seems to happen to both eventually.

I thought you was about to sell your S3 for something RWD or seriously impractical at one point wasn't you GTQ? :think:

You are most correct, then I realised it was worth **** all anymore (less than I paid for the engine) and needs another new steering rack I thought I'm keeping it until it dies for good and doing a few mods to make it a bit more fun on track and it'll be joined by something else when space / money allow.

You are most correct, then I realised it was worth **** all anymore (less than I paid for the engine) and needs another new steering rack I thought I'm keeping it until it dies for good and doing a few mods to make it a bit more fun on track and it'll be joined by something else when space / money allow.

Tell me about it, the resale value of mine has effected my options of a replacement, plus it'll take you 5 months to sell it for reasonable money under the current climate, go for the brakes mate. :icon_thumright:

Right just got a price back for the Brembo GT Kit, £850 so i have ordered with grooved discs.

Is the Porsche "Big Reds" the same brembo calliper used in Impreza WRX STI and EVO?

Porsche:
chris3017.jpg

WRX:
05_410772828.jpg

EVO:
65_-46139947.jpg

As Glen says.....NO!!! The bolt holes don't line up and even if they did, by the time you've put the larger discs on, the calipers are miles away from the mounts anyway!! Although I have a pair of Evo Brembos that Ive fiited to my A3 turbo using some adaptor brackets and R32 discs (the same as Scott is using with his Porsche brakes) It too a lot of ******* around and to be honest, the discs are nearly £200, and £150-£200 for a set of Mitsi Brembos, you might aswell BUY THE ****** LCR BRAKES!!!!!