Hey guys! - a question of S3 and the 1.8TQ

its_neil

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new on this forum - currently running a 300hp Celica GT-Four and looking to switch to something newer, more comfortable and hopefully more economical!

Now, I've read most of the other threads in here and am aware of some issues to look for in an S3, but If you wouldn't mind answering me this question I should be very grateful.

I'm aware that any car can drink like a fish with a lead foot, but I might have to be driving 120 mile round trips to work, so my question(s) are...

What is yer average MPG on a motorway, dull, 70mph cruise? What can you get on a full tank of fuel? (My celica does 300 miles to about 60 litres on a run).

Oh and what is the major differences between the 1.8T Quattro and the S3? and are many parts swappable? :)

Thanks for your help guys.

Difference between the S3 and A3 quattro is practically everything, though petrol consumption if driven at a steady 70mph would be roughly the same...at 70 on the motorway i'd average about 32-33 miles i would expect, haven't got the will power for a whole week to drive steady...Lol

an s3 is good for around 28-30 mpg a freind of minehas a standard gt4 and my mapped s3 is faster so in terms of power los there wont be too much in it either so an alround good upgrade

Well, my celica isn't standard and I get about 22-25mpg on a motorway run. 35mpg would be a good enough upgrade for me.

It's a split between the Leon Cupra R and the S3 at the mo!

yeah i see your celica wasnt standard, but it wouldnt take much to get an s3 to the same spec. think you would see more like 35mpg on a steady run of 120miles each trip as my figures are mostly general drives

Averaging around 33-34 mpg. my s3 is CC mapped and that is also driving like a granny (60-65) on the dual cariage to work.

mpg could be better, as i drive it like I stole it come the weekend! :racer:

You could try and find an S3 with cruise control or have it retro fitted for £150 (ish) to help you out a tad on the motorway run.

I have been doing a bit of motorway mileage recently and my mapped S3 is showing 35-40mpg keeping it off boost and in 6th. Sometimes 5th can be more economical depending on speed and where peak torque is in the rev range.

My average mpg recently has been about 28mpg but like most people here its difficult not to get bored and give it some every now and then.

<tuffty/>

is it a st205 you have?great cars,thats what i had before my a4.

is it a st205 you have?great cars,thats what i had before my a4.

Yup, black ST205

n511005451_45179_1849.jpg

Although I've got the WRC kit on there now.

i had a facelift st205,bog standard.was not too bad on fuel on a run.better than the gti-r i had before by a fair bit.if i didnt need a car with a decent boot etc i would have a celica again no bother.

God they're lovely cars! If only I could take a gamble and buy a dailly driver without a decent sized boot, I'd have one.

Generally speaking, the FWD 1.8T is much more economical than the A3 TQS or the S3, simply because it's almost 200kg lighter without all the 4wd crap.

I can easily get 38mpg on a good run from my 230bhp fwd 1.8T, I've even seen 44mpg once on a snail mission from portsmouth to reading and back.

An honest opinion would be, that none of them handle well at all standard, and even the 225 S3 isnt very quick.

However, spend a few quid on shocks/springs and anti roll bars, along with a decent remap, on either the 1.8T, the 1.8TQ, or the S3, and they become fairly capable cars, if a little uninvolving still.

For a dailly driver, I wouldn't have anything else,ever again. It'll never be as good to drive as the gt4, but it's a damn good all rounder

That's another reason I have for moving the Celica on, I simply don't throw it about as much as it deserves - so all that ability is going to waste. Looking for a more all round car that isn't completely dull!

I'm not sure I could go back to FWD is my only problem.

what about an a4 1.8t quattro sport?there is a peach for sale on here just now for £2500