I've had a Mini JCW for the afternoon.

I agree with most of that. Little tweaks would make it much better like the idrive location.

Having had a couple of days to think about it I just can't get over the price. I think there's far too much going on at the £30k mark for a mini to get a look in. Especially when you look at the price on the cooper s with the full jcw conversion which is only 20bhp down on the full jcw. I'm a bit baffled as to who their target market is? Real hardcore mini fans?

Reactions: Pulp84
So the search continues for something that isn't as dull as the S3 to drive, and to be more involving ;)

Next on my test drive list - Focus RS, and of course, the A45 AMG facelift. Oh, maybe the R400 if that gets to market :p

Reactions: Blackwhite and Pulp84
So the search continues for something that isn't as dull as the S3 to drive, and to be more involving ;)

Next on my test drive list - Focus RS, and of course, the A45 AMG facelift. Oh, maybe the R400 if that gets to market :p

The prospect of the new A45 AMG is very exciting but with the cost of the new C63 AMG I can see it being very expensive also.

Reactions: veeeight

Yes indeed. The new JCW has lost much of the charm of the last version - it just didn't get me excited.

RS is on my list as is the A45 AMG and the Macan. When I looked at the AMG year before last Mrs Pulp didn't work for Mercedes so a bigger discount will be on the cards now. I'm hoping the tech will be much improved too with the facelift.

Yes - the search continues. I will add that overall the S3 is better* that the JCW.

*(on the basis as an all rounder, costs etc)

Reactions: veeeight

Don't forget veeeight I get the first ride! :smiley:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, veeeight and Pulp84
@Bristle Hound - haha, it appears we have similar tastes in cars ... here's my R56 JCW, I changed my mind over colours about 5 times with this one too ..

Loved the pops and bangs from the exhaust :grinning: and it always put a smile on my face .. brilliant throttle response in sport mode (better than the S3) .. bit bumpy around B-roads on the run flats

Reactions: Bristle Hound and buz
Good write up from Pulp84. Sums up the MINI nicely especially in comparison with the S3.

Reactions: Pulp84
Not a full fat JCW but this was my tweaked 220bhp Clubman S. It was far from perfect as had numerous niggles but heck it was a blast!!

Reactions: veeeight and Bristle Hound
Wrote a similar response over on the S1 thread. Should the JCW not be compared to the S1? Same size, space and firm ride plus they are in the sane ridiculously expensive price bracket??

Reactions: veeeight and Bristle Hound
Wrote a similar response over on the S1 thread. Should the JCW not be compared to the S1? Same size, space and firm ride plus they are in the sane ridiculously expensive price bracket??
Got to agree (on all accounts) there Scotty :)

Reactions: Scottyg