Refurbished S3 steering wheel with flat bottom - opinions

s3facelift09

Reaction score
Plus an Audi S1 gear shift knob with red stitching..

Attachments

• 20160220_181131_resized_1.jpg
    20160220_181131_resized_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • 20160220_181144_resized_1.jpg
    20160220_181144_resized_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 380
Completely off subject how hard was it to put the footwell lights in?

Completely off subject how hard was it to put the footwell lights in?
It was difficult and expensive because I wanted everything to be OEM, for etc. that I can control the strength of the lights in the FIS. And if you want to do this everything has to be OEM, all the wiring, electrical connectors, plastic connectors etc. etc. Other wise, you can easily connect the footwell lights to the interior light, so they would lit up when you open the door or smth., you won't have access to them in the boardcomputer, but the outcome will be similar.
The bulbs aren't OEM, I used 48 SMD LED Panels.

Looks good that mate, Was the S1 gearknob a straight swop..?

@JamesMadog get in touch with @t8ups for all your lighting. He can supply all the bulbs.holders and wiring looms. He is a site sponsor (EM Tuning) and his service is absolutely fantastic. He'll give you all the info you need for all lighting interior/exterior.

Looks good that mate, Was the S1 gearknob a straight swop..?
Straight swap, with absolutely no issues what so ever. Out of the box and fitted in the car in 2 minutes. If you need the part number let me know, I have all the part numbers concerning different color of the stitching.

well a different opinion here in regards to footwells. Took 30 minutes. purchased awesome loom from Robin and then installed. The biggest pain is stuffing my body into the footwell. all else is really easy. taking off under steering wheel cover 5 minutes. Taking out glove 10 minutes. Popping out controller 5 minutes. Plugging in loom 30 seconds. coat hanger to glove area 30 seconds. 8 min for VCDS change. The issue here is understanding the process and that is fully explained in Robin's awesome thread. His puddle and warning are also easy once you do the footwells.

Reactions: martinivw
well a different opinion here in regards to footwells. Took 30 minutes. purchased awesome loom from Robin and then installed. The biggest pain is stuffing my body into the footwell. all else is really easy. taking off under steering wheel cover 5 minutes. Taking out glove 10 minutes. Popping out controller 5 minutes. Plugging in loom 30 seconds. coat hanger to glove area 30 seconds. 8 min for VCDS change. The issue here is understanding the process and that is fully explained in Robin's awesome thread. His puddle and warning are also easy once you do the footwells.

Sounds good. Have you got a link to robins post? I've tried searching and can't find it.

Nice wheel. Huge fan of flat bottoms full stop. Defo worth the money. Undecided on the alcantara part though

what about the footwells under the seats?

Nice wheel. Huge fan of flat bottoms full stop. Defo worth the money. Undecided on the alcantara part though
I was also afraid of the alcantara part, that is, I was afraid it will become worn out, but then some time before this refurbishment, I started to pay notice where I keep my hands most of the time, and I realized that in most cases they are on the lateral sides of the wheel, and that's a leather part of the wheel. I realized that the only time I really touch the upper and lower alcantara part of the wheel is when I exit or maneuver on a parking lot and when I turn, I try to avoid touching the alcantara parts. It is a little pain to do this. But, I'm not really normal, so that's not a big deal for me. LoL..

Straight swap, with absolutely no issues what so ever. Out of the box and fitted in the car in 2 minutes. If you need the part number let me know, I have all the part numbers concerning different color of the stitching.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Can you get Yellow stitching..?

Also are footwell light's not standard - S3 09..? Or you talking about if you want to upgrade them then you need a wiring loom etc..?

one thread two directions lol

footwell were part of the interior light package so not standard
rear footwells are also straightforward as the loom sold by robin attaches to the front footwells and then is routed down the side panels then under the carpet to the seat connector housing and then placed in the rear seat factory location . FYI buckets don't have these

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Can you get Yellow stitching..?

Also are footwell light's not standard - S3 09..? Or you talking about if you want to upgrade them then you need a wiring loom etc..?
My friend the center arm rest isn't standard, yet alone the footwell lights, it's good that we get the steering wheel as standard. LoL..
Here are the part numbers:

8X0 863 278 Q EAY - yellow stitching

8X0 863 278 Q XBA - silver stitching
8X0 863 278 Q QQX - black stitching
8X0 863 278 Q ZDP - alabaster white stitching
8X0 863 278 Q DWJ - express red stitching

one thread two directions lol

footwell were part of the interior light package so not standard
rear footwells are also straightforward as the loom sold by robin attaches to the front footwells and then is routed down the side panels then under the carpet to the seat connector housing and then placed in the rear seat factory location . FYI buckets don't have these
But not in 30 min :D

Nice upgrade, congrats!

I have a question related to steering wheels, but it's not exactly on a subject of refurbishment. Is a standard 4-spoke A3 8PA steering wheel is the same diameter as a S3 3-spoke one? Looking at your pictures, it seems to me that the sport steering wheel is smaller. Am I right?