RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

So picked up the new motor yesterday. 2017 Mini JCW with pro exhaust.

Appreciate its apples and oranges to a degree but a quick comparison:
- Interior is leagues above, has far more character and is better quality.
- HK sound system, night and day compared to B&O in the 8Y.
- The exhaust is nuts and so loud. Puts a smile on my face like the 8Y never did.
- It’s slow, lol.
- Much firmer ride but really is more dynamic to drive, very darty front end on first impressions but of course loses out in the wet.

Have a few mods planned, dechrome, intake, stage 1.

Summary, 2017/18 Pre OPF is the golden era.

PS I’m off to lurk in some Mini forum now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davc, Snake Pliskin, NevMan and 3 others
So picked up the new motor yesterday. 2017 Mini JCW with pro exhaust.

Appreciate its apples and oranges to a degree but a quick comparison:
- Interior is leagues above, has far more character and is better quality.
- HK sound system, night and day compared to B&O in the 8Y.
- The exhaust is nuts and so loud. Puts a smile on my face like the 8Y never did.
- It’s slow, lol.
- Much firmer ride but really is more dynamic to drive, very darty front end on first impressions but of course loses out in the wet.

Have a few mods planned, dechrome, intake, stage 1.

Summary, 2017/18 Pre OPF is the golden era.

PS I’m off to lurk in some Mini forum now.

I can't knock you for moving the Rs3 on if you wasn't 100% happy with it
having that amount of capital tied up in a Rs3 or paying a big monthly payment
to drive an Rs3 I'd want to be 100% happy with it too

I can imagine the mini is a lot less stressful to drive and you can park it up most places and not have to worry .
Get some pics of the mini up :icon thumright:

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
The 8V must have very loud because I think my 8Y is pretty loud to be fair. Specially compared to the M2 competition I drove just after the OPfs came in. It was almost silent.

Our S3 on the other hand, dull as dishwater and almost silent.

Reactions: kayemill and DangerMouseUK
The 8V must have very loud because I think my 8Y is pretty loud to be fair. Specially compared to the M2 competition I drove just after the OPfs came in. It was almost silent.

I completely disagree. I had an M2C before the 8Y. You could park that up and get some good old gun shots. But yes the 8V is night and day difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: DangerMouseUK
I had an 8Y S3 and it was very quiet! Nice car though and that EA888 engine is always nice to use but the car isn’t an RS3 that’s for sure!

The 8V pfl was stupid loud. Never understood how they got away with that being legal on the road. I do miss it but it was a very outdated design. Best you get out the 8y is a hot start in performance with a little throttle. Can get some nice pops and bangs doing this.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and garethdj
The 8V pfl was stupid loud. Never understood how they got away with that being legal on the road. I do miss it but it was a very outdated design. Best you get out the 8y is a hot start in performance with a little throttle. Can get some nice pops and bangs doing this.

Those hot start pops and bangs are pretty good for an OPF car. With the ASR controller on and the valves open I’ve noticed you can do it in any mode as well, not just the RS Performance mode.

Also, after almost 8k miles I’m also noticing burbles on overrun with the values open which surprised me.

Hopefully remaps will be available relatively soon and we can get some better sound out of these, then it’ll definitely be the full package for me.

Reactions: kayemill, DangerMouseUK, garethdj and 2 others
I can't knock you for moving the Rs3 on if you wasn't 100% happy with it
having that amount of capital tied up in a Rs3 or paying a big monthly payment
to drive an Rs3 I'd want to be 100% happy with it too

I can imagine the mini is a lot less stressful to drive and you can park it up most places and not have to worry .
Get some pics of the mini up :icon thumright:

Totally, once I’d got it in my mind I was selling it was going but did have a slight moment the last time I drove it wondering if I’m doing the right thing. Anyway, zero regrets, loving the JCW even though it’s 6 years old, less than half the price and doesn’t quite have all the toys of the RS3… the exhaust alone just makes up for all of that. Plus as you say, lot of money on monthlies. We just moved last year so using the extra cash to finish off some stuff around the house, then if the mortgage increase is hefty next year I feel better knowing I’ve already offloaded while the prices are strong. Dealer was telling me the market is starting to get a bit flooded, if not already, with RS3s, people still trying to buy new and flip.
2bd07fd19298d8eca75fb5a28d7e9b32.jpg

Reactions: buz, Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
Totally, once I’d got it in my mind I was selling it was going but did have a slight moment the last time I drove it wondering if I’m doing the right thing. Anyway, zero regrets, loving the JCW even though it’s 6 years old, less than half the price and doesn’t quite have all the toys of the RS3… the exhaust alone just makes up for all of that. Plus as you say, lot of money on monthlies. We just moved last year so using the extra cash to finish off some stuff around the house, then if the mortgage increase is hefty next year I feel better knowing I’ve already offloaded while the prices are strong. Dealer was telling me the market is starting to get a bit flooded, if not already, with RS3s, people still trying to buy new and flip.
2bd07fd19298d8eca75fb5a28d7e9b32.jpg

I drove the latest JCW not long ago the ride quality was tiresome and harsh actually worse than the wife's Fiesta ....A car for very short journeys

Those hot start pops and bangs are pretty good for an OPF car. With the ASR controller on and the valves open I’ve noticed you can do it in any mode as well, not just the RS Performance mode.

Also, after almost 8k miles I’m also noticing burbles on overrun with the values open which surprised me.

Hopefully remaps will be available relatively soon and we can get some better sound out of these, then it’ll definitely be the full package for me.

If the DNWA cars are anything to go by then you’ll be in for a wait even if remapped.

I remember there was discussion in the Dyno Spectrum group.

Makes getting a TTRS Daza even more tempting.

bb11d7b2c3a59032a16ebb60dad7aa9e.png

0f07a436d8fb60b62f5ca597e2ec8342.png

Reactions: kayemill and Snake Pliskin
I drove the latest JCW not long ago the ride quality was tiresome and harsh actually worse than the wife's Fiesta ....A car for very short journeys

On 18”s JCW ride can be harsh, much better with adaptive but even better on the 17”s. Wish we still had the 2018 pre-opf one

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
If the DNWA cars are anything to go by then you’ll be in for a wait even if remapped.

I remember there was discussion in the Dyno Spectrum group.

Makes getting a TTRS Daza even more tempting.

bb11d7b2c3a59032a16ebb60dad7aa9e.png

0f07a436d8fb60b62f5ca597e2ec8342.png

Yeah I’m certainly not expecting anything soon. I’m happy enough with the car overall, unlike many it would seem, so I’m happy to keep running it and just pick up some OPF delete pipes and a tune when or if they become available.

Reactions: Anyname, Kevmoz, mb127 and 3 others
I’m happy enough with the car overall, unlike many it would seem, so I’m happy to keep running it

To be honest I think you are right, if you want a car later than 2017/8 you just have to accept them as they are, there is only so much you can do to make them as they were.

For me it is not just the noise, it is things like the lack of buttons and everything just feeling cheaper than before, but that is why I have cars from the 80s and 90s because newer ones don't give me the same feeling.

and just pick up some OPF delete pipes and a tune when or if they become available.

Deleting OPFs (and then replacing them for MOT, Warranty, when something goes wrong or when pulled by police and or VOSA etc) seems to be giving places round me quite a bit of business.

I'm probably at the age I can't be bothered and as I said above I think I would either live with it as it is or buy an older machine. Going back and forward is not something I could be bothered with.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze, Frankel and 1 other person
To be honest I think you are right, if you want a car later than 2017/8 you just have to accept them as they are, there is only so much you can do to make them as they were.

For me it is not just the noise, it is things like the lack of buttons and everything just feeling cheaper than before, but that is why I have cars from the 80s and 90s because newer ones don't give me the same feeling.

Deleting OPFs (and then replacing them for MOT, Warranty, when something goes wrong or when pulled by police and or VOSA etc) seems to be giving places round me quite a bit of business.

I'm probably at the age I can't be bothered and as I said above I think I would either live with it as it is or buy an older machine. Going back and forward is not something I could be bothered with.

That’s the thing with OPFs, just having to find a nice MOT tester or replace them each time. Alternatively, could you just stick a plate over the OPFs so they can’t see if they’re there or connected? Since they aren’t allowed to take anything off for an MOT?

That’s the thing with OPFs, just having to find a nice MOT tester or replace them each time. Alternatively, could you just stick a plate over the OPFs so they can’t see if they’re there or connected? Since they aren’t allowed to take anything off for an MOT?
In theory, but the problem is the legislation and penalties have been getting ever steeper for people caught, there are fewer MOT stations prepared to turn a blind eye since the last raft of changes.

I have seen police and VOSA camped out checking cars going into the ULEZ zone. AFAIK in that case it is up to you to prove it complies.

You only have to look at what has happened to tuning firms who have maps that mess with the factory emissions.

The thing is this is only going one way, it is not going to get easier to do any of this as time goes on.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze, 8YARWY and 1 other person
In theory, but the problem is the legislation and penalties have been getting ever steeper for people caught, there are fewer MOT stations prepared to turn a blind eye since the last raft of changes.

I have seen police and VOSA camped out checking cars going into the ULEZ zone. AFAIK in that case it is up to you to prove it complies.

You only have to look at what has happened to tuning firms who have maps that mess with the factory emissions.

The thing is this is only going one way, it is not going to get easier to do any of this as time goes on.

Totally agree about it being harder and harder. Shame for tuners and part manufactures, as well as us car folk.

Is there a test for particulate to show whether the OPFs have been deleted or not? Last time I looked it was basically just CO2 levels for a petrol car.

Totally agree about it being harder and harder. Shame for tuners and part manufactures, as well as us car folk.

Is there a test for particulate to show whether the OPFs have been deleted or not? Last time I looked it was basically just CO2 levels for a petrol car.

Visual inspection.

They are clearly on show.

854b65d6a1e70b0d78bf1862a0884de5.png

• Angry
Reactions: Mike.46 and flybynite

It’s a school run / weekend blast car, another reason why the RS3 was wasted. We’ve got a Q7 for long journeys.

On 18”s JCW ride can be harsh, much better with adaptive but even better on the 17”s. Wish we still had the 2018 pre-opf one

Yeah I’ve got the 18s, I might end up getting a set of team dynamics 17s down the road.

As above it is visual at the moment, but you would have to do a lot of butchery to your new RS3 to cover it, is it really worth it?

I guarantee there will be a test for it sometime in the future, they have effectively done it for Diesel DPF. Some places round the world (like California IIRC) check via the OBD port for compliance.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Lol how on earth can it detect emissions from one car out of 20 or so all driving along. I detect BS.

TX.

Reactions: davc, Mr Freeze, Jassyo06 and 2 others
As above it is visual at the moment, but you would have to do a lot of butchery to your new RS3 to cover it, is it really worth it?

I guarantee there will be a test for it sometime in the future, they have effectively done it for Diesel DPF. Some places round the world (like California IIRC) check via the OBD port for compliance.

I do wonder if all these 8Y Owners that butcher the hell out of the OPF’s and don’t put them back correctly come sale time are leaving severe pain and cost for the 2/3rd owners, for the sake of a noisier car.

It’s like the 8V rear diff failures we are starting to see, 100% that’s a hard launching life from ‘giddy, no mechanical sympathy’ owners.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Lol how on earth can it detect emissions from one car out of 20 or so all driving along. I detect BS.

TX.

Well john ‘something’ is happening to the worlds weather, hard to ignore it at the moment.

TX.
I would not bet on it, have you looked at this? Seems like they are pretty sure of themselves.

Reactions: 8YARWY
As time passes it will all be about compliance and meeting ever stricter emissions.
With the push to get everyone in a mobile battery pack and meet increasingly tighter environmental targets, those left embracing the ICE in whatever flavour that maybe , will find emmisions compliance getting very tight and room to bypass that also that a lot more difficult .

It’s like the 8V rear diff failures we are starting to see, 100% that’s a hard launching life from ‘giddy, no mechanical sympathy’ owners.

I was wondering, is there a maximum amount of launches the 8V and 8Y will let you do and can vcds detect how many launches the car has done and can this be cleared?

I was wondering, is there a maximum amount of launches the 8V and 8Y will let you do and can vcds detect how many launches the car has done and can this be cleared?

VCDS yes.

Auto trans and select from list.

Used to be 200 allegedly.

Reactions: Frankel
VCDS yes.

Auto trans and select from list.

Used to be 200 allegedly.

Ok thanks.
I haven't launched mine yet so my count is at zero. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 8Y doesn't count launches in vcds but Audi technicians can access a hidden count. :grinning:

Ok thanks.
I haven't launched mine yet so my count is at zero. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 8Y doesn't count launches in vcds but Audi technicians can access a hidden count. :grinning:

Guy with the ‘fastest RS3 in the world’ reckons he’s done 1000 launches or something I’m sure I saw

• Wow
Reactions: Frankel
No one gonna go for that RS3 Vorsprung Mythos Black Saloon brand new from an Audi dealer? Thought someone here could get a "relative" deal of sorts.

Shame to see it go to a trader to pre-register it and try and charge over the odds for it but oh well lol I guess thats just how it is.

the pre face lift 8v RS3 sounded incredible !
not joking when I say even better than my 4.0 litre GTS 718 … yes that good

looking back just glad I got to experience it and know now why I kept that car 4 years, longest of any car I’ve owned

Reactions: rngDeadeye, kayemill, Mr Freeze and 3 others
Slight digression. Just been to Goodwood FOS. Didn't see a single other 8y Rs3 which I was surprised at. On the way out one of the traffic martials even said as I drove past "I like that mate, lovely" which given the metal on display had me chuffed

Reactions: jaypers777, kayemill, Terminator x and 2 others
Slight digression. Just been to Goodwood FOS. Didn't see a single other 8y Rs3 which I was surprised at. On the way out one of the traffic martials even said as I drove past "I like that mate, lovely" which given the metal on display had me chuffed

Typically, since I've had mine I've seen 4 others. I've seen 2 in the 22 months since ordering.

Reactions: Joey Slats

That's one thing I haven't heard is any pops or burbles...

Reactions: kayemill
I've found that it took a fair few thousand miles before mine did it, and basically only when the valves are fully open using the ASR module. Sounds alright going through a carpark in that scenario though. :tearsofjoy:

If you get in and press the start button without your foot on the brake the ignition will switch on. Then press the RS button on the wheel and put it into RS Performance. Once in that mode put left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator with just a little depression. Results vary depending on how much gas you give it, but it definately will pop and bang to varying degrees. It's a bit of nostalgia for me. Actually sounds like a normal Pfl start up. Also as bad as I think it sounds someone local who drives a 911 commented how good it sounds from the outside. A low burble were his words.

Edit: I should also say I stole this idea from someone on here who mentioned it, so thanks to them.

Reactions: itsbigyellow, cooperp, mb127 and 3 others
If you get in and press the start button without your foot on the brake the ignition will switch on. Then press the RS button on the wheel and put it into RS Performance. Once in that mode put left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator with just a little depression. Results vary depending on how much gas you give it, but it definately will pop and bang to varying degrees. It's a bit of nostalgia for me. Actually sounds like a normal Pfl start up. Also as bad as I think it sounds someone local who drives a 911 commented how good it sounds from the outside. A low burble were his words.

Edit: I should also say I stole this idea from someone on here who mentioned it, so thanks to them.
I'll give that a go!

My wife drove off in it the other say and I really like the exhaust note.

Reactions: Kevmoz and Daggerit