8Y RS3 Gremlins thread.

Has anyone experienced any issues with the middle button on the fan control (off, on eco, max) mine does not let me change at all. The rest of the buttons work fine.

I’ve randomly had a yellow warning pop up a couple of times now ‘drive system fault, contact workshop’ seems to go when the car is turned off and then back on again, anyone else had this? Wondering if it’s the tuning box triggering something in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve randomly had a yellow warning pop up a couple of times now ‘drive system fault, contact workshop’ seems to go when the car is turned off and then back on again, anyone else had this? Wondering if it’s the tuning box triggering something in some way.

Had this once and never seen it again, it got the heart racing a tad though

Reactions: garethdj

Worth reporting to Audi dealer so its recorded, just in case warranty work is required.

Reactions: garethdj
Got in the car the other night and pressed the start/stop button..........nothing, absolutely nothing. Noticed the door "lock" button wouldn't work either (BOTH the lock button on the key fob AND the button next to interior door handle). The unlock worked fine (both key fob and interior button). Fiddled about for 5 mins and was just away to check fuses then it just all came to life. Both lock buttons started working again as well once the dash/VC came up.

Also had on a few occasions have had it where the drive select does NOT work. Both the steering wheel RS button AND the drive select button becomes non responsive (pressing both does nothing/changes nothing). Usually on the VC it shows what mode you are in (Auto/Comfort/Efficiency etc - under the gear you are in - P/N/R) - when the buttons stop working there is nothing displayed there.

My passenger door B&O speaker is fried.

Odd considering we don't have music on much as we like the engine noise.

Car fixed itself overnight. Back to LTE.

Reactions: IanL-RS3
Car fixed itself overnight. Back to LTE.

Possibly finishing off some over the air update to mmi and restart or local mobile cell tower being worked on.

Reactions: kayemill
Possibly finishing off some over the air update to mmi and restart or local mobile cell tower being worked on.

It froze and I restarted the mmi, then restarted it in engineering mode. Still showed 3G with no bars. No access to any online services. Working now, thanks.

Reactions: RS03???

I’ve just had the same error and car limited to 4000 revs. Was preceded with rough engine small misfire with no warnings at all, then this pooped up followed by the rev limit. I was only a short distance from home so continued driving, got home turn off and on and the warnings have gone. @garethdj Did you sort yours before you sold it?

I’ve just had the same error and car limited to 4000 revs. Was preceded with rough engine small misfire with no warnings at all, then this pooped up followed by the rev limit. I was only a short distance from home so continued driving, got home turn off and on and the warnings have gone. @garethdj Did you sort yours before you sold it?

Dodgy fuel……

Could be. I’d just put 3/4 of a tank at local fuel station. I’ll see how I get on.

I’ve had this during Covid on my 8V.

99 fuel sat around for a while in our local station, car ran like a dog.

Reactions: Kevmoz
I’ve had this during Covid on my 8V.

99 fuel sat around for a while in our local station, car ran like a dog.

How do you know it sat around for a while? It could have just been put in there

How do you know it sat around for a while? It could have just been put in there

No one was buying anything let alone 99 Ron petrol, it doesn’t have a long shelf life before it starts to lose its octane rating.
Petrol can last 3 months in a sealed container before it starts to degrade.

It ran like a dog shortly after I put some in, for days after too.
In the end I went to a different station and put some more in it was fine after that.

It's a strange one, comes up on every car forum... dodgy fuel, don't use supermarkets, etc.

I've never experienced it, I'd go as far as saying it's all in the mind. But maybe I've just been lucky.

It's a strange one, comes up on every car forum... dodgy fuel, don't use supermarkets, etc.

I've never experienced it, I'd go as far as saying it's all in the mind. But maybe I've just been lucky.

Momentum is my go-to and never had an issue either. Not saying it’s not actually a thing, just another person that hasn’t experienced any issues.

Could be wrong but I’ve also heard at some point that petrol doesn’t actually go off, just that the additive that gives it the ‘nice’ smell evaporates off and think that makes it harder to start but fine to run. Could be that water got into it with it being sat? Don’t know.

There was an RS3 8V a year ago that was tuned for 99 petrol, the owner went to a shell garage and shortly after the engine went kaput, when he had the petrol sent away to be analysed it was barely 92 Ron.

I always tend to stick with Momentum as my 8V was tuned and ran a lot better on it.

Reactions: Daggerit
Bit of an update, I did a scan using OBD11 and it said that the fuel pressure was too high. I had a nice 100 mile trip out into mid Wales today and all was fine. A varied steady quick get always and spirited driving and never missed once. I will have Audi have a look when I’m next in town.

Reactions: garethdj and Daggerit
Weird one - my left air vent (from drivers position) whistles when closed and aircon is on high.

There was an RS3 8V a year ago that was tuned for 99 petrol, the owner went to a shell garage and shortly after the engine went kaput, when he had the petrol sent away to be analysed it was barely 92 Ron.

I always tend to stick with Momentum as my 8V was tuned and ran a lot better on it.

And on the flip-side of this one, I had a Mk1 Focus RS for 12years, no knock sensor and as standard are meant to use 97+. Everyone swore by Shell Optimax/V-Power at the time. I ran mine on a mixture of fuels from Tesco / Shell / Esso / BP, but generally it would always be "super". Never had an issue.

I put anything in the RS3, usually just 95 and it's been fine for 5k miles... used every day.

I put anything in the RS3, usually just 95 and it's been fine for 5k miles... used every day.

Fresh 95 will be better than old 99. Not many use 99 these days even in cars that benefit so 99 hangs around more in the tanks (many places you still can't get it at all)

Car is built to run on 95, and a lot worse in places that have bad fuel, that is where tuning can get easy power if you guarantee good fuel.

The only thing I would say is cars with port injection will make best use of the detergent packages in some of the better fuels, RS3 is obviously one of those cars.

95 is fine for the car but you won't get the 400bhp you paid for :crying:

Reactions: Kevmoz and 8YARWY
Now that I got non-polarized sunglasses, I can see the HUD. Unfortunately, neither the Rotation or Brightness adjustments work (the height adjustment works fine). Looks like I'll have the dealer check that out in November for its one year service.

Yes mine only did it a couple of times and did X thousand miles after + a track day and didn’t reappear.

Dodgy fuel……

Maybe, typically esso 99 for me but the garage is hopeless so often have to go use jet 97 or similar. No Tesco or shell close enough.

My reversing camera has lost focus. It's now focussed at (I assume) its shortest distance, as everything is blurry apart from anything which is on the camera housing (like water droplets are perfectly in focus!). I can't see any contamination on or in the housing, plus the fact that stuff right up on it is in focus leads me to believe it's not dirt having gotten in or anything like that.

I've not been successful in having it reset/refocus after trying various things like resetting the MMI and leaving the car with the drivers door open for a while to have as much of the electronics power off as possible.

A bit of research online turns up lots of things about "calibrating" the camera but that seems to be more around getting the distance lines on the overlay correct, and mine are still right. It also needs a large calibration sheet printed out, which I'm not really interested in faffing with.

The car is booked in with the dealer for them to have a look at it but that's not until the end of the month (and that's from when I phoned them about it about three weeks ago).

I'm not above disconnecting the battery to have everything in the car reinitialise; presumably there's no big problem with doing that? My Mk 7 Golf threw pretty much every light on the dash when I did it, but just needed a short drive for everything to calibrate and settle down again. Is the same true for this car?

Or, anyone know where I can poke at over OBD11 and/or VCDS to update the focus? All the searching I've done always turns up the aforementioned calibration, but I can't believe this isn't something you can adjust separately!

Attachments

• IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 80
My reversing camera has lost focus. It's now focussed at (I assume) its shortest distance, as everything is blurry apart from anything which is on the camera housing (like water droplets are perfectly in focus!). I can't see any contamination on or in the housing, plus the fact that stuff right up on it is in focus leads me to believe it's not dirt having gotten in or anything like that.

I've not been successful in having it reset/refocus after trying various things like resetting the MMI and leaving the car with the drivers door open for a while to have as much of the electronics power off as possible.

A bit of research online turns up lots of things about "calibrating" the camera but that seems to be more around getting the distance lines on the overlay correct, and mine are still right. It also needs a large calibration sheet printed out, which I'm not really interested in faffing with.

The car is booked in with the dealer for them to have a look at it but that's not until the end of the month (and that's from when I phoned them about it about three weeks ago).

I'm not above disconnecting the battery to have everything in the car reinitialise; presumably there's no big problem with doing that? My Mk 7 Golf threw pretty much every light on the dash when I did it, but just needed a short drive for everything to calibrate and settle down again. Is the same true for this car?

Or, anyone know where I can poke at over OBD11 and/or VCDS to update the focus? All the searching I've done always turns up the aforementioned calibration, but I can't believe this isn't something you can adjust separately!

Calibration Mat and Odis required.

Warranty job for your dealer, no point in trying to do it yourself.

Reactions: cooperp
Had the camera looked at yesterday by the dealership. They tried recalibrating it but concluded the unit was defective so replaced it. (Just in case someone else has a similar issue in the future.)

Reactions: Basher (Peter), IanL-RS3, M3 Convert and 2 others
Fresh 95 will be better than old 99. Not many use 99 these days even in cars that benefit so 99 hangs around more in the tanks (many places you still can't get it at all)

Car is built to run on 95, and a lot worse in places that have bad fuel, that is where tuning can get easy power if you guarantee good fuel.

The only thing I would say is cars with port injection will make best use of the detergent packages in some of the better fuels, RS3 is obviously one of those cars.

95 is fine for the car but you won't get the 400bhp you paid for :crying:
I did a test while I owned mine, 1000 miles of each with a tank full of fuel between before restting mileage, I used Tesco 95 and 99 and had the following MPG, and these were from new,

99 27.2
95 24.6
99 27.6
95 25.2 (only got to 700 as sold it)

Actually worked out cheaper in the long run to run the car on 99 and pay the extra, however I can honestly say I never noticed any difference in the way the car ran between fuels.

Reactions: Basher (Peter)
You'd never notice the power difference as it is so small.

I'm trying a few tanks to see what the mpg looks like as like you say it can sometimes work out better overall.

So, after 18 months of owner ship I get in it today and the MMI wants me to log in ***......................doesnt take much for this car to pizz me off

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
That happened to me too, yesterday. Also noticed my info wasn't in My Audi anymore. I'm thinking a glitch that probably affected more than a few folks. Once I logged back in I was ok. My Audi still isn't working right, at least for me.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK, miyagi_gb and Mike.46
And I'm talking about the My Audi app, not the car :)

MIne asking me to log in or set up as guest user, Google maps gone, all my destinations gone,

Asking me for email address and password, which I have forgotten, no idea at ll

MIne asking me to log in or set up as guest user, Google maps gone, all my destinations gone,

Mine did this a couple of days ago, coupled with a loss of traffic info…

Restarted a couple of times and it reappeared

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Mike.46

If you have used the My Audi app, or the web version, your password could be the same as what you use to log in for the car, so hopefully you have that info somewhere.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Mike.46