RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

No one gonna go for that RS3 Vorsprung Mythos Black Saloon brand new from an Audi dealer? Thought someone here could get a "relative" deal of sorts.

Shame to see it go to a trader to pre-register it and try and charge over the odds for it but oh well lol I guess thats just how it is.
Can u pm details. I can’t pm u

Noticed I’m still signed into my Audi… looks like my car has made its way to Bradford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Terminator x, 8YARWY, Tommm and 3 others
Noticed I’m still signed into my Audi… looks like my car has made its way to Bradford

They all end up there, my 8V did.

Reactions: garethdj
I’ve had similar. Having come from a Golf R I think it sounds great, just loud enough!

Fit an ASR valve controller and it will sound even better.

How do you find the RS3 compares to the Golf R? I noticed a couple of new ones on Autotrader for £60,000

Reactions: Daggerit

How do you find the RS3 compares to the Golf R? I noticed a couple of new ones on Autotrader for £60,000

Shaks hire cars 60k jeeez

Reactions: Mr Freeze
IMHO same applies to the Golf R as the RS3 best one is 2017 pre-OPF and best of those are half new price.

Reactions: garethdj

I loved my Golf R. I had the OPF version but after a few thousand miles it burbled and had very small pops on overrun. It’s been said before but it was my best all round car I’ve ever owned and I genuinely miss it. If Audi had delivered my RS3 when they should we would have kept it but they didn’t and we needed a second car in 2022, so my wife bought an A1 sline black edition for about the same money as the dealer sold my Golf.
Originally I wanted the new Mk8 Golf with performance pack and built one similar to the one in your link and, if I remember correctly, it was about £50000 maybe slightly more but I never got to test drive one. If I’m spending that kind of money I want to have a go to see if I like it.
Having said all of that, the RS3 is a fantastic car, much more comfortable and compliant and with so much more grunt when you are looking to overtake or just get a wiggle on. Having only done about 2000 miles so far, I’m expecting the exhaust note to change as it did in the Golf but I’ll have a look at the ASR controller. Are they worth it more than an exhaust system? Looking on Youtube, to my mind, the people that change out the exhaust doesn’t seem to be that much louder just a different tone.

Reactions: Frankel and Daggerit
I loved my Golf R. I had the OPF version but after a few thousand miles it burbled and had very small pops on overrun. It’s been said before but it was my best all round car I’ve ever owned and I genuinely miss it. If Audi had delivered my RS3 when they should we would have kept it but they didn’t and we needed a second car in 2022, so my wife bought an A1 sline black edition for about the same money as the dealer sold my Golf.
Originally I wanted the new Mk8 Golf with performance pack and built one similar to the one in your link and, if I remember correctly, it was about £50000 maybe slightly more but I never got to test drive one. If I’m spending that kind of money I want to have a go to see if I like it.
Having said all of that, the RS3 is a fantastic car, much more comfortable and compliant and with so much more grunt when you are looking to overtake or just get a wiggle on. Having only done about 2000 miles so far, I’m expecting the exhaust note to change as it did in the Golf but I’ll have a look at the ASR controller. Are they worth it more than an exhaust system? Looking on Youtube, to my mind, the people that change out the exhaust doesn’t seem to be that much louder just a different tone.

I honestly can’t comment on exhaust systems because I haven’t heard any in person on these cars, but the ASR certainly makes a difference. It won’t be as loud overall as a Miltek Race system for example, but for day to day driving it makes the experience more special without dropping thousands on an exhaust system. And I really like that you can open the valves in ‘normal’ driving modes at slower speeds to just burble about.

Reactions: Mike.46, Frankel and Kevmoz

Don’t waste your money on an exhaust, valve controller and and intake will be a third of the price and get you more enjoyment.

Reactions: 8YARWY, Kevmoz and Daggerit
I do wonder if all these 8Y Owners that butcher the hell out of the OPF’s and don’t put them back correctly come sale time are leaving severe pain and cost for the 2/3rd owners, for the sake of a noisier car.

It’s like the 8V rear diff failures we are starting to see, 100% that’s a hard launching life from ‘giddy, no mechanical sympathy’ owners.

That's not the case at all, I had 1 diff fail on my s3 and one on its way out when I sold the car (gave him a spare) and I launched the car maybe 5 times max. Diff was regularly serviced over and above etc, I put it down to bad luck but I think they're just a weak spot.

Last edited:
It’s like the 8V rear diff failures we are starting to see, 100% that’s a hard launching life from ‘giddy, no mechanical sympathy’ owners.

It is the same with the front bevel boxes, the problem I have are the raft of 800-1000hp RS3s launching 1/4 miles that don't fail. Some are pretty open about what goes wrong, clutch packs, drive shafts, yes but diffs and gearboxes much less so. Trying to see the common theme and the only one I can see is oil, and maybe temperature. The guys running 800+ are probably swapping the oil a lot and with good stuff and only hammering it when warmed up.

That's not the case at all, I had 1 diff fail on my s3 and one on its way out when I sold the car (gave him a spare) and I launched the car maybe 5 times max. Diff was regularly serviced over and above etc, I put it down to bad luck but I think they're just a weak spot.

Would not be the first car that has Haldex fluid in the diff, diff fluid in the Haldex or they have used the fill plug from one and the drain plug from the other. Main dealers have done this too.

Reactions: 8YARWY

Seems like the bearings are the weak spot from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: Joey Slats and flybynite
Without the ASR, or now with the ASR/exhaust valves closed on mine (10,000 miles) the exhaust is still pretty whisper quiet, the ASR improves the exhaust sound whilst you are driving 'slowly' or 'moderately' but as the exhaust valves open when your over 4500rpm anyway there are no 'noise' gains when your flat out.

With ASR it's a nice and welcome difference, there are no overrun pops and bangs (Audi say not possible with OPF but VW Golf 8R has them) you do get a slight gear change 'pop' though which is very welcome

I suspect that without the ASR I would have parted company with the car by now :bye:

Reactions: Kevmoz, Frankel, Terminator x and 1 other person
Seems like the bearings are the weak spot from what I’ve seen.

Yeah it seems like it but I still can't get my head around how they take 1000bhp if the bearing is weak.

The fact that Audi have gone to 20K oil changes for the bevel box leads me to think it was oil, either not changed often enough or as I have heard once or twice, maybe underfilled from the factory so it was not getting to the bearing.

Without the ASR, or now with the ASR/exhaust valves closed on mine (10,000 miles) the exhaust is still pretty whisper quiet, the ASR improves the exhaust sound whilst you are driving 'slowly' or 'moderately' but as the exhaust valves open when your over 4500rpm anyway there are no 'noise' gains when your flat out.

With ASR it's a nice and welcome difference, there are no overrun pops and bangs (Audi say not possible with OPF but VW Golf 8R has them) you do get a slight gear change 'pop' though which is very welcome

I suspect that without the ASR I would have parted company with the car by now :bye:

As you’ve pointed out with your Golf 8R comment, it can definitely be done with OPFs. Even just starting the 8Y with the flaps open and giving it some gas and you can get multiple gunshots from the exhaust, so I’m sure some mapping changes would allow it.

Don’t waste your money on an exhaust, valve controller and and intake will be a third of the price and get you more enjoyment.

Have you heard the Milltek race back exhaust in person?

I'm hoping to get one fitted in the next 3 to 4 weeks. From what I have read most people seem happy with it.

I'm hoping to get one fitted in the next 3 to 4 weeks. From what I have read most people seem happy with it.

No but I can only go off the Scorpion exhaust I had fitted on mine. Same setup though. Same size pipe, no resonators and same size back box by the looks of it if not smaller.

I’d imagine a valve controller would have definitely improved things and got the most out of the exhaust but the exhaust alone really is a subtle difference. I was very pleased I got it done, for free by scorpion, but it would have been a bit of a let down if I’d paid money but that’s just the OPFs for you.

A lot of the milltek race system, on YouTube at least, also have the valve controller fitted that they sell, so I’d just be cautious if you’re going for the exhaust alone… unless you’re saying you’ve heard it in person that is but really can’t imagine how it’ll be that different if at all than the scorpion, it’s all just bits of metal!

Reactions: NevMan and Frankel
If you get in and press the start button without your foot on the brake the ignition will switch on. Then press the RS button on the wheel and put it into RS Performance. Once in that mode put left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator with just a little depression. Results vary depending on how much gas you give it, but it definately will pop and bang to varying degrees. It's a bit of nostalgia for me. Actually sounds like a normal Pfl start up. Also as bad as I think it sounds someone local who drives a 911 commented how good it sounds from the outside. A low burble were his words.

Edit: I should also say I stole this idea from someone on here who mentioned it, so thanks to them.
This doesn’t work for me, I’m only on 300 miles so maybe need to run it in

It does sort of work for me at 375miles but quite muffled burbles.

To be fair, just putting it into RS mode and stating normally sounds good. Used to do something similar in my M4.

Stupid MMI "which user are you" stops you selecting RS mode until you press continue though.

To be fair, just putting it into RS mode and stating normally sounds good. Used to do something similar in my M4.

Stupid MMI "which user are you" stops you selecting RS mode until you press continue though.

I'm over 10k now so may be millage related. If you go heavy on the gas you get some really loud gunshots!:gun:

Reactions: Dnwc and Daggerit

Make sure engine is warm at normal running temp and drive select is in RS or dynamic and give it plenty of gas on start up and you will get the gun shots.

Reactions: RS03???, Dnwc and kayemill
And to think a few months back I got called a liar when I said my car was stock and it done this/sounded like this :whistle2:It works in any mode as well doesn't need to be RS or dynamic. More power you give it the more obnoxious it becomes. I was thinking the other day about this, if the car can do this on a warm start then the ECU is clearly stopping it from happening while driving. My S3 8Y popped and banged from factory so pops/bangs/burbles and overruns will all be possible on this car when the ECU is eventually cracked.

Reactions: kayemill and Dnwc
Make sure engine is warm at normal running temp and drive select is in RS or dynamic and give it plenty of gas on start up and you will get the gun shots.
Aahh I tried it this morning on a cold start, I’ll try again when it’s warmed up.

Reactions: kayemill and Frankel
And to think a few months back I got called a liar when I said my car was stock and it done this/sounded like this :whistle2:It works in any mode as well doesn't need to be RS or dynamic. More power you give it the more obnoxious it becomes. I was thinking the other day about this, if the car can do this on a warm start then the ECU is clearly stopping it from happening while driving. My S3 8Y popped and banged from factory so pops/bangs/burbles and overruns will all be possible on this car when the ECU is eventually cracked.
Mine was in a normal mode too. It must be because the wastegate is open.

Reactions: kayemill

I have the miltek race exhaust. Yes tgeir is a difference, although it is a SLIGHT difference over the rs exhaust. If you buying brand new personally i wouldnt buy. Only reason i got it as someone was selling for 1400. As people have said valve controller right now probz best option. I have 1 on the way so will post how it is with the milltek race exhaust.... the ipf is the biggest sound killer

Reactions: kayemill, Daggerit and Frankel
I have the miltek race exhaust. Yes tgeir is a difference, although it is a SLIGHT difference over the rs exhaust. If you buying brand new personally i wouldnt buy. Only reason i got it as someone was selling for 1400. As people have said valve controller right now probz best option. I have 1 on the way so will post how it is with the milltek race exhaust.... the ipf is the biggest sound killer

Ok thanks for posting. It would be interesting to hear if anybody else on the forum who has a Milltek race thinks it's a waste of money too.

Reactions: garethdj and kayemill
Have you seen this?

I had been thinking, why don't they just straight pipe the open valve bit and have a small box for the closed valve.

Kooks like that's all Miltek has done so £2k seems a lot but the sound is much better though.

Yeah saw it a while ago. It definitely seems to sound better with the Milltek.
£2000 is a lot though if its only slightly better.

If you get in and press the start button without your foot on the brake the ignition will switch on. Then press the RS button on the wheel and put it into RS Performance. Once in that mode put left foot on brake and right foot on accelerator with just a little depression. Results vary depending on how much gas you give it, but it definately will pop and bang to varying degrees. It's a bit of nostalgia for me. Actually sounds like a normal Pfl start up. Also as bad as I think it sounds someone local who drives a 911 commented how good it sounds from the outside. A low burble were his words.

Edit: I should also say I stole this idea from someone on here who mentioned it, so thanks to them.
This is literally my new favourite trick, especially with the ASR - thanks @kayemill

In other news, my Admiral multi-car renewal just came through, gone up 50% on last year with absolutely no rhyme nor reason to it. Gone out to get quotes, tried Axa and LV multi - neither will quote because the RS3 doesn't have a tracker fitted. Any insurance recommendations guys ?

TIA

In other news, my Admiral multi-car renewal just came through, gone up 50% on last year with absolutely no rhyme nor reason to it. Gone out to get quotes, tried Axa and LV multi - neither will quote because the RS3 doesn't have a tracker fitted. Any insurance recommendations guys ?

TIA

My insurance doubled to £1100 because of a speeding offence. I tried Audi insurance and got cover for £530. Then added protected NCB and legal and paid £670ish. Well worth getting a quote.

Reactions: itsbigyellow

TIA
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi.
Regards,
Dan.

My renewal seems to have jumped from £480 to £780 with no changes on my side, apart from having an additional year of no claims.

What’s the best way of getting a quote with you?

Hi.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan, I tried, I entered my car details, and no matter what I do the 'next' button stays orange and if I tap it it just takes me back to the beginning again.

Reloaded page and it worked, quote requested. Thanks.

Last edited:
My renewal seems to have jumped from £480 to £780 with no changes on my side, apart from having an additional year of no claims.

Lol prepare for pain……

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Freeze, Snake Pliskin, itsbigyellow and 1 other person

I’ve used a broker, who I rate, told me that premiums are all over the place at the moment. You just need to check lots of brokers and individual companies to find the cover you need.

Reactions: Daggerit and itsbigyellow
The least ridiculous quote I got was from Aviva Online via a comparison site, apparently I was told it was vehicle specific as the risk on RS3s had gone up in recent months - not sure if that was local to me or in general or how they do it.

Reactions: itsbigyellow

Obviously everyone’s going to be different but I tried a quote with Adrian Flux just before I sold the car. Was just over 2k on admiral multi car for RS3 and the Q7… over 4k for RS3 alone with them

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and itsbigyellow