RS3 v Tesla 3 Performance

Whats a CT clamp? only one I know is a clamp that measures current without 'breaking' the circuit

Whats a CT clamp? only one I know is a clamp that measures current without 'breaking' the circuit

It monitors load on the house and if it detects it approaching the houses limit it backs it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike.46
Another charger tale of woe

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Another charger tale of woe

I think that anyone who buys an EV with zero option of home charging and 100% reliant on public charging is gonna have to deal with a lot of hassle and increasingly so with more EV's hitting the roads than new charge points.

Reactions: A4B9
Thats a 'little unfair' as fast chargers are charging twice the price per KW/hr of a home charger, so yes if you are going big distances across country and using the 'fast chargers' it's going to cost you more, but you can't use the fast chargers all the time either as they reduce the life of the battery.
For home charging compared to say a petrol car doing 35mpg and an EV doing 3mile/kw the equivalent costs would be:
EV, £4.08p/35miles,
Petrol, £6.75/35 miles @ £1.50 litre

Just the same as filling up at a motorway services really. The prices are always sky high compared to your local petrol station.

At Tebay services the Tesla chargers are powered by a massive generator in the woods.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike.46
For anyone interested.
BBC R2 in the next 1/2 hr or so Jeremy Vine discussing EV Chargers.

I think that anyone who buys an EV with zero option of home charging and 100% reliant on public charging is gonna have to deal with a lot of hassle and increasingly so with more EV's hitting the roads than new charge points.
Plus I like to make it harder for them by parking in EV spaces!

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
I'd have one as a second car for local journeys, however after the chaos i witnessed on the way back from Northumberland at Xmas, it does make you think how difficult it is to recharge them while further out.
I think EV's are worth having for around town driving school runs etc other than that they are just a pain in the ar$e

Reactions: Prodigy, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
I have only ever seen one single EV being driven in anger, without fail every one I see is just pottering along #rangeanxiety

How much pollution and CO2 is created with every battery made? Better off just keeping what we own for longer. Consumerism is destroying the planet not cars.

TX.

Mine gets hammered. You can actually be quite naughty in one. The top speed is also higher than claimed.

more doom for the poor old EV's :tearsofjoy:

More media ******. Since selling my M4 in September, I hadn't been to a petrol station since but I had to top up the Yaris this weekend. It's dropped by 60p/litre since then as expected whereas Electricity has stayed the same. Gas and Electric are about to drop too once we've bought their expensive stuff.

However, tt cost £30 to go from 5-70% at a supercharger the other day which gave me 200 miles. £30 in my M4 would get me about 60 miles!

Tesla cars are an acquired taste full stop the most ungainly looking cars I've ever seen and their interiors at their price point are no better than a Vauxhall insignia Tesla paint colours, wheels just bland bland........and the majority of the drivers in them think they're driving the De lorean from Back to the future. Most on UK roads are company cars that says it all

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Mine gets hammered. You can actually be quite naughty in one. The top speed is also higher than claimed.
Just about impossible to hang on to one on the roads in an ICE car,
You would have to sit there behind it in the optimal gear due to their instant acceleration, been there done that with a Model 3P

Just about impossible to hang on to one on the roads in an ICE car,
You would have to sit there behind it in the optimal gear due to their instant acceleration, been there done that with a Model 3P
My M5 wouldn't have any trouble ;)

TX.

It's not the outright acceleration from a standstill to 70/80 whatever, it's the queue hopping ability, like when the 56mph truck moves over, the (performance) EV just goes again whilst the ICE is changing down about 4 gears to match, or better it, unless you want to sit behind (or in front) of one in 2nd gear with about 5500rpm and looking like a right tozzer you will probably lose..............................

Reactions: cooperp
You under estimate the M5 as it was about 650hp on the rolling road with torque about the same in ft2. 4WD too of course. Absolute animal.

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and garethdj
You under estimate the M5 as it was about 650hp on the rolling road with torque about the same in ft2. 4WD too of course. Absolute animal.

TX.

Nah, I know the M5 is abeast - not only over the stated power but under the quoted weight.

Sat in one the other day - if this RS3 doesn't turn up then I'll be looking at options!

Reactions: Terminator x

TX.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jassyo06, Mike.46, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person

TX.

Not at all, a friend at Work changed his M3 for a new M5 about 18 months back, a very impressive car, but say your doodling along at 56mph, I imagine it will be in 7th, possibly 8th gear and showing 1500/1700 rpm?

That’s about 160/170hp from your M5, by the time you have floored it and the gearbox has changed down the (performance) EV has gone,

You would need to be sitting there at 4700 rpm to match the Tesla 3P hp or 5500rpm if it's one of those little Korean hatchbacks :)

Of course, thats just theory, no weight added into the calc

• Haha
Reactions: cooperp and Terminator x
LOL if there was a Tesla in the vicinity you'd be in sport etc.

TX.

Reactions: VAGRANT and Mike.46
LOL if there was a Tesla in the vicinity you'd be in sport etc.

TX.
Two EV's have 'surprised' me, one a Tesla 3P up a slip road onto M53 (2 lanes) and then he then did what I described every time something moved out of his way, infuriating f thing.

Second was a Taycan off the same roundabout but leaving the M53, I was on the path fiddling with old Kawasaki 2 stroke, he caught me looking and floored it around the roundabout, very impressive :)

Reactions: Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
Two EV's have 'surprised' me, one a Tesla 3P up a slip road onto M53 (2 lanes) and then he then did what I described every time something moved out of his way, infuriating f thing.

Second was a Taycan off the same roundabout but leaving the M53, I was on the path fiddling with old Kawasaki 2 stroke, he caught me looking and floored it around the roundabout, very impressive :)

5,500 off them now too.

8feb762026b5bde99c204e7ac0e9bf4b.png

There's no denying that the brakes are absolute garbage

It doesn't help that you can go weeks without using them which makes things even worse.

I've been digging around the service menu and there's a program to bed in the brakes so I'll need to give that a go to see if it helps - just need to find somewhere where I can get up to 50 and down again safely

It doesn't help that you can go weeks without using them which makes things even worse.

I've been digging around the service menu and there's a program to bed in the brakes so I'll need to give that a go to see if it helps - just need to find somewhere where I can get up to 50 and down again safely
I thought they occasionally used the brakes to keep them free from rust and contaminants etc?

I thought the brakes were shyte too the first time I slowed from 13mph down to 4mph but since then they've been fine. You don't realise how much you don't use the brakes until you notice after 6 weeks driving, there's no brake dust on the wheels.

Just goes to show how much profit margin they must have in these cars if they can slash £8k off

Cheaper calipers hidden away behind covers and they removed parking sensors in a switch to a camera based parking software solution that’s due to be rolled out I believe.

Granted it doesn’t amount to much cost wise but it’s still a fair chunk they knocked off the list price.

Just goes to show how much profit margin they must have in these cars if they can slash £8k off

Yep. It's been long enough that other manufacturers have caught up. Kia and Hyundai are creaming it in.

Plus Tesla now have to allow others to use their Superchargers now so they can't even us infrastructure as a USP.

Cheaper calipers hidden away behind covers and they removed parking sensors in a switch to a camera based parking software solution that’s due to be rolled out I believe.

Granted it doesn’t amount to much cost wise but it’s still a fair chunk they knocked off the list price.

Yeah the omission of parking sensors is very frustrating.
I can happily park with mirrors but the sensors do make certain parking a lot more convenient.
Having to totally rely on a camera with zero sound is not ideal.

I can happily park with mirrors but the sensors do make certain parking a lot more convenient.

I don't get what you mean? Not having actual parking sensors makes no difference in terms of what the car tells you about it's surroundings.

They are going to use Virtual LIDAR which effectively maps the cars surroundings and will do the same thing once they roll it out.