What have you done to your 8Y today?

Hoping to get my S3 back from the repairers today. Late on Tues I was told they had 5 hours work left, and we're doing about 3 hours a day on it. I did a bit of Audi app stalking yesterday to see tge 2 warning signs disappear (like washer fluid - the impact destroyed bottle must've been filled up following replacement), and the Audi Presense sensor no longer throwing up a fault, so that must now be replaced and working properly. The doors, windows and bonnet were up and down multiple times yesterday, so hoping work is complete and just awaiting final QC checks today.
I saw first hand (from my dash-cam) what happens during a 'software update', it managed to record (just the gaps under the bonnet space when opened). Saw a hapless technician overspilled the screenwash reserviour and trying to desperately dry it with a towel.

• Wow
Reactions: vatdim
Hoping to get my S3 back from the repairers today. Late on Tues I was told they had 5 hours work left, and we're doing about 3 hours a day on it. I did a bit of Audi app stalking yesterday to see tge 2 warning signs disappear (like washer fluid - the impact destroyed bottle must've been filled up following replacement), and the Audi Presense sensor no longer throwing up a fault, so that must now be replaced and working properly. The doors, windows and bonnet were up and down multiple times yesterday, so hoping work is complete and just awaiting final QC checks today.
Aaaand it's back, as if it never happened. Still got that new car smell. Had to point out a difference in gaps between the 2 wings and the bonnet, which was sorted with a quick adjustment.

Reactions: vatdim
I saw first hand (from my dash-cam) what happens during a 'software update', it managed to record (just the gaps under the bonnet space when opened). Saw a hapless technician overspilled the screenwash reserviour and trying to desperately dry it with a towel.
That's quite easily done if you're trying to pour straight from a full bottle at a height above the filler neck, especially if the bottle "glugs" while pouring.

I might see what my dashcams caught, out of morbid interest.

Aaaand it's back, as if it never happened. Still got that new car smell. Had to point out a difference in gaps between the 2 wings and the bonnet, which was sorted with a quick adjustment.
Once the excitement of getting the car back had worn off, I had a good look at everything this morning. There is some heavy overspray on the front edge of the bonnet facing the top of the drivers side headlight, a mark/light scratch (whitening) on the other side above the other headlight, and holograms all over the car following a very ****** polish all over. Some big ones on the roof looked like long scratches at first glance. So noticeable on my black paintwork.

The bonnet fix isn't a proper fix, they've just unscrewed the rubber bungs/stops out to the end of their travel on the drivers side of the bonnet underside. The bonnet fixing near the windscreen on the passenger side is about 3mm out vs drivers side.

I'll be hounding them monday and asking the insurance company not to pay out their bit until its sorted.

Attachments

• 20230624_180013.jpg
    20230624_180013.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 293
  • 20230624_070018.jpg
    20230624_070018.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 251
Once the excitement of getting the car back had worn off, I had a good look at everything this morning. There is some heavy overspray on the front edge of the bonnet facing the top of the drivers side headlight, a mark/light scratch (whitening) on the other side above the other headlight, and holograms all over the car following a very ****** polish all over. Some big ones on the roof looked like long scratches at first glance. So noticeable on my black paintwork.

The bonnet fix isn't a proper fix, they've just unscrewed the rubber bungs/stops out to the end of their travel on the drivers side of the bonnet underside. The bonnet fixing near the windscreen on the passenger side is about 3mm out vs drivers side.

I'll be hounding them monday and asking the insurance company not to pay out their bit until its sorted.

Wow that’s rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vatdim and monkeyhanger

That is shocking, who did the work? Do they have no quality control? Can't believe they would release the car to the customer like that, especially such a new S3, they must have known you would be all over it.
Hope it's not too much hassle getting it sorted.

That is shocking, who did the work? Do they have no quality control? Can't believe they would release the car to the customer like that, especially such a new S3, they must have known you would be all over it.
Hope it's not too much hassle getting it sorted.
The bodyshop with the best reputation in Tyne and Wear - Vertu Car Clinic, Boldon. I have used them before and they were great previously. Either standards have slipped, or they thought it would be a company car and therefore I wouldn't give a toss.

I didn't want them to touch the rest of the bodywork. I had 2 coats of C2V3 on there and it was like Teflon. It feels like it's covered in treacle now. I've no idea what wax/glaze they have used. Hopefully the holograms are only wax deep. You can only see them easily under certain light angles/intensity. Right now it's overcast and I'm struggling to see most of them.

Got my insurance renewal quote, amost 'fainted' it's close to ~ £200 more per annum. That's like 20% more from last year! Guessing everyone seen the same? Mines with Aviva. Anyone had theirs not increased at all, or not as much? Open to switching providers...

Got my insurance renewal quote, amost 'fainted' it's close to ~ £200 more per annum. That's like 20% more from last year! Guessing everyone seen the same? Mines with Aviva. Anyone had theirs not increased at all, or not as much? Open to switching providers...
When I swapped my insurance from my 2 year old S-line to my new Edtion 1 there was no cost. At the same time I asked how much at renewal it would go up and I was told it would be around same price as last year.

I
Got my insurance renewal quote, amost 'fainted' it's close to ~ £200 more per annum. That's like 20% more from last year! Guessing everyone seen the same? Mines with Aviva. Anyone had theirs not increased at all, or not as much? Open to switching
My S3 insurance was with Swiftcover, and renewel this year (mid-june) went up 50% (£427 to £633). I phoned them up and told them there must be some sort of mistake to increase that much, as nothing had changed since last year, and all they would say is something must have changed with the risk level associated to my type of car or postcode.
I renewed with Aviva for similar money compared to Swiftcover last year.
Swiftcover didn't offer to try to improve the premium (as I recall being the case on numerous occasions). I don't think they are following the legislation that says existing customers should get the same deal as new customers, and are not offering to improve on the quote as it would indicate that this is the case.

Just had my renewal come through and went up from £540ish to £1100! I got several comparison quotes but Audi were the best at £520 matching last year. Definitely worth a try I’d say.

Just had my renewal come through and went up from £540ish to £1100! I got several comparison quotes but Audi were the best at £520 matching last year. Definitely worth a try I’d say.
Thanks, I didn't even know Audi themselves did this. My last year's was £484 (year before £490 I think), renewal quote is £654, comparison websites were around £750 mark, Audi one....oops...£1.1k as were some others like LV, Directline and Switfcover and some others were just unable to give me a quote. Ouch!

That's a crazy rise.
Thanks, I didn't even know Audi themselves did this. My last year's was £484 (year before £490 I think), renewal quote is £654, comparison websites were around £750 mark, Audi one....oops...£1.1k as were some others like LV, Directline and Switfcover and some others were just unable to give me a quote. Ouch!
There's a lot of geographical factors in there and changes with suppliers.

Elephant/Churchill used to be by far the cheapest in my area for me, then about 5 years ago it was quote me happy, then 2 years ago, Admiral (who I'm currently with).

Direct Line have never been competitive for me in a very low risk postcode in North Tyneside, yet put my details in with my Dad's Southampton address and they're ridiculously cheap. Never found LV competitive for my address either, regardless of the car.

Had the 360 Cameras fitted

IMG 7165
IMG 7175
IMG 7174
IMG 7173
IMG 7172

Last edited:
Reactions: MA3RC, Paulie69 and Kevmoz
Fitted the stainless steel pedal caps today. The accelerator pedal part was quite tricky to get in place, but got it done after enough sweating and curses. A small upgrade, but they look and feel nice and weren't expensive. The left foot rest would have been so complicated to install that I left it out.

The interesting thing is how I got the parts. At first I asked from the local dealer, they told me the delivery time could be anything from two weeks to up a half a year. Then I did a holiday trip abroad and thought why not to ask from there. They told the same thing about delivery time and suggested I should buy the parts from my local dealer. Then I did a search in amazon.de with the part number, placed an order and got the parts in a week. They have VW labels inside, so they are genuine parts. Isn't that crazy that you can buy genuine parts from Amazon, but cannot get them from official dealer?

I'm still waiting for the reversing camera, which I should get to compensate a dealer mistake. I've waited it for over six months now - and the same Amazon shop has got the exact retrofit set in stock!
IMG 3953

Reactions: MA3RC and Kevmoz
Fitted the stainless steel pedal caps today. The accelerator pedal part was quite tricky to get in place, but got it done after enough sweating and curses. A small upgrade, but they look and feel nice and weren't expensive. The left foot rest would have been so complicated to install that I left it out.

The interesting thing is how I got the parts. At first I asked from the local dealer, they told me the delivery time could be anything from two weeks to up a half a year. Then I did a holiday trip abroad and thought why not to ask from there. They told the same thing about delivery time and suggested I should buy the parts from my local dealer. Then I did a search in amazon.de with the part number, placed an order and got the parts in a week. They have VW labels inside, so they are genuine parts. Isn't that crazy that you can buy genuine parts from Amazon, but cannot get them from official dealer?

I'm still waiting for the reversing camera, which I should get to compensate a dealer mistake. I've waited it for over six months now - and the same Amazon shop has got the exact retrofit set in stock!
View attachment 269003
Do you have the part number for the footrest please

I think there's no separate number for the footrest only, but the pedal caps with the footrest should be 8V1064205A.

Reactions: Paulie69
Had a strange 'notification' yesterday whilst driving something along the lines of 'front parking sensor fault, please bring to workshop' or something to that extent. It pings up a few times while I was going behind a truck. I 'think' this only happens when the radar and the parking sensors are receiving conflicting readings. The truck I was following was a 'high riding' one, so I presume the parking sensors couldn't sense anyting in front, due to the height of the truck underside. However the radar probably did sense something, so perhaps it gave that ping on the dash.

Booked the dealer to finally assemble the damned reversing camera. After 7 months of wait, it's finally arrived. Just another three weeks to get it installed, since the dealer is overbooked because of the summer leave. They'll also check the trunk rattle thing. Long three weeks I guess...

How much, and where did you source this cubby?
I've also done that, thanks to this forum I now have an easy-use place for my sunglasses! Part number for the left side is V8Y1863084A and the price should be around 50 €, mine was 55 €. You can order it via the dealer or try Amazon with the part number.

Reactions: VFR800Essex
Bog standard 40 TFSi E S Line in Daytona Grey but thought i'd start with a bit of Plasti Dip on the rear decals. May well carry on with the rest of the chrome delete

Attachments

• PXL_20230730_155925361.jpg
    PXL_20230730_155925361.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: gboole
Tried the A3 out for size underneath my new gazebo - as part of my detailing venture. South Wales based . I’d love some more follower’s too if you wouldn’t mind . Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8749.jpeg
    IMG_8749.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 164
Got the reversing camera retrofit done. Now the car is finally completed, after eight months from the delivery.

Reactions: Paulie69
That's rigth!! So, I added a smaller ligth connector, I did not use the original one, then the obstruction was not a problem.
Hi, nice job! How did you connect the smaller light connectors to the existing connector and to the light itself? Did you solder it? I have no experience with this so I want to do it the right way and make sure not to break anything!

Thanks ;)

Found out that when on cruise control (regular one) when speed increases (say downhill) it actually slams on the brakes (brake light illuminated) to try to keep the speed. Only when the engine is on. On some coasting on cruise control downhill bits, it allows the car to go 3-4 mph over, before restarts the engine for engine braking (no brakes).
Only realised it, as the rear window is full of sand dirt from recent trip, so the 3rd brake light reflects there.

Hi, nice job! How did you connect the smaller light connectors to the existing connector and to the light itself? Did you solder it? I have no experience with this so I want to do it the right way and make sure not to break anything!

Thanks ;)
Okay, I tried soldering but that was no success. Is there maybe another connector I can try to install these lights so that I do not need to solder? Thanks :)

Okay, I tried soldering but that was no success. Is there maybe another connector I can try to install these lights so that I do not need to solder? Thanks :)
Yes!!! I solder it, it worked for me, but I did not like how it looked, so I changed the way put the lights.
20230919 193546
20230919 193555

To do this I used:

- Red glass ink
- 4 Footwell lamps (4GD947415)
- 4 Red led lights
- 4 famale connectors (4B0971832)
InShot 20230919 194731455

Collected it from the dealers, time to spend a couple of hours setting it up for me

Painted the calipers, make it looks so much nicer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006_190855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_190855_Gallery.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20231006_190845_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_190845_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 159
Reactions: Encode_GR and Saral
Changed the winter tyres. This is now how it's going to look like for the next six months, though mostly even more dirty. Winters these days are so mild that it's always just slush and mud everywhere, instead of snow and freezing cold, so the car is instantly dirty again after driving it out from the wash. The wheels are Audi 17" for winter tyres, they are a bit more narrow than the ones for summer tyres with the same style.

Reactions: Simon50s and DFish
This is the time of year where real ceramic coatings come into there own for cleaning a car.

True to form, 12 months later, both fob batteries are 'low' according to the car. However this time after changing to a fresh new battery, the car still thinks it's 'low.'
Batteries are Energizer CR2032 new from packet, good till 2027 (on the packet). Anyone changed their battery but it still said low?

True to form, 12 months later, both fob batteries are 'low' according to the car. However this time after changing to a fresh new battery, the car still thinks it's 'low.'
Batteries are Energizer CR2032 new from packet, good till 2027 (on the packet). Anyone changed their battery but it still said low?
Have you changed both batteries - I had to as only way the message would go away

Also I waited about 30 minutes or so before going back out to the car to make sure it had fully shut down and made sure I started the car with each key on it's own - Bit of a faff but it did work in the end