RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

I'm a neutral observer too, but I can't help thinking if I had put an order down I would also be looking to get out of it gaining as much (or losing as little) as I could. I think the buying experience and the final car has fallen short of expectations for many who had previous RS3s and I would probably be one of those.

As it is I am happy I kept my 8V because it fits me better than the 8Y, (8V is more shouty inside, less shouty outside). If I had jumped, can't help thinking that for the price of RS3s now it puts it into the territory of some very capable alternatives.

A right old balls up is the 8Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Robsrs, Charlie Farley, Mr Freeze and 1 other person
Had this in the build thread but put it here for visibility too;

1x Black RS3 Vorsprung Saloon Brand New and Unregistered in stock and ready to go at an Audi dealership
If you DM me will put you in touch with the Audi dealership and you just crack on.

It is like they say , newer is not allways better, and that appears to be the case with not only the 8Y but many new Audi models.

Reactions: Terminator x and Jassyo06
It is like they say , newer is not allways better, and that appears to be the case with not only the 8Y but many new Audi models.

Though you don't see many bad reviews of the RS3 8Y. They are mostly good and positive.

Reactions: Terminator x
Though you don't see many bad reviews of the RS3 8Y. They are mostly good and positive.
That's because most people want to talk them up because they want to flip them the next week :grinning:

• Haha
Reactions: Terminator x, Jassyo06 and 8YARWY
If it had the sound of the 8v pre-facelift and interior of the 2023 performance edition ......... it would be such a different car

Reactions: Terminator x, Robsrs, 8YARWY and 2 others
If it had the sound of the 8v pre-facelift and interior of the 2023 performance edition ......... it would be such a different car

View attachment 269032

Agreed and maybe if Audi took more notice of what customers really want instead of what they think customers want new models would be something really special.

Reactions: Frankel and Snake Pliskin

View attachment 269032

The problem is the damn OPF’s.

They could’ve deleted the Ceramic discs option and instead offered those buckets.

Audi really have lost their way with the S/RS cars……

I can’t imagine them changing much on the interior of the facelift when it’s announced.

Reactions: Robsrs and Snake Pliskin
Just imagine what an awesome bit of kit it would be.
Put together all the best parts across a specific range of cars inc the RS3's , from the last few years in one new model, it would be something special indeed.
But no, they have to change everything , why?
Why mess around with a proven package, ok change a few bits here and there but keep the core as is.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The problem is the damn OPF’s.

They could’ve deleted the Ceramic discs option and instead offered those buckets.

Audi really have lost their way with the S/RS cars……

I can’t imagine them changing much on the interior of the facelift when it’s announced.

it's almost painful to watch that video from 2015 and to hear that glorious soundtrack again.

Reactions: Terminator x and Mr Freeze
Just imagine what an awesome bit of kit it would be.
Put together all the best parts across a specific range of cars inc the RS3's , from the last few years in one new model, it would be something special indeed.
But no, they have to change everything , why?
Why mess around with a proven package, ok change a few bits here and there but keep the core as is.
Dynamically the current car is the pick of the bunch for sure and I could pick other bits out which are superior such as the matrix headlights and the seats whilst looking drab with contrast stitch are supremely comfortable. Exterior looks wise its also the pick of the bunch for me, it looks terrific from any angle.
But without that soundtrack to listen to and from inside looking at a sea of black, Audi really have missed an opportunity here to deliver on all fronts.

Reactions: RS03???, Terminator x, Mr Freeze and 2 others

it’s a step in the right direction regarding the driving dynamics. Much better than 8V.
8V had horrible handling.

just lacking on the MMI which has some glitches on some cars
B&O is poor
Exhaust note is almost non existent for a 5 cylinder.
interior is boring and quality has reduced.

it’s a shame as it has potential to be a great car.

Reactions: Frankel, Terminator x, Mr Freeze and 2 others
Reviews...by that you mean Youtubers?
IMHO the majority of them are biased towards the actual car makers/car. so the Negatives are few and far between
For example my Mrs had a 5 year old fiesta ST line...so she ordered a new Face-lift ST3 it took 8 months to arrive,now at the time of ordering there was no demonstrators available anywhere within 100 miles of us...So we both based our choice of car on Reviews ie Youtubers, added with the 5 years ownership of pfl St line...how wrong where we...its a horrible little car the actual 100 bhp St line was a better car to drive bit slower but just as capable around a corner ...the face-lift Fiesta ST3 is the worst car we've owned ....so uncomfortable and the cost cutting is quite remarkable with equipment being deleted everywhere £30k for a Fiesta it'll be gone this time next year.....point being there's no honest car reviews anymore car makers have put an end to that
As they don't mention any of the above

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and Snake Pliskin
IMHO the majority of them are biased towards the actual car makers/car. so the Negatives are few and far between
For example my Mrs had a 5 year old fiesta ST line...so she ordered a new Face-lift ST3 it took 8 months to arrive,now at the time of ordering there was no demonstrators available anywhere within 100 miles of us...So we both based our choice of car on Reviews ie Youtubers, added with the 5 years ownership of pfl St line...how wrong where we...its a horrible little car the actual 100 bhp St line was a better car to drive bit slower but just as capable around a corner ...the face-lift Fiesta ST3 is the worst car we've owned ....so uncomfortable and the cost cutting is quite remarkable with equipment being deleted everywhere £30k for a Fiesta it'll be gone this time next year.....point being there's no honest car reviews anymore car makers have put an end to that
Damn sorry to hear that mate :grimacing:
Kinda reflects my own experiences with my last couple of cars though, very disappointing isn't it.

Reactions: NevMan, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06

I think I’ve bought my last few bikes as well as the RS3 based on general reviews on YouTube. Granted I took all of them out for an extended test drive before to make sure. No chance I’d be stuck buying something that expensive without testing it first, I think you’d have to be nuts to do that.

Reactions: NevMan
So it’s is safe to say “ they don’t make cars like they used to”

But then us oldies have known that for a while:whistle2:

Reactions: RS03???, NevMan, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Damn sorry to hear that mate :grimacing:
Kinda reflects my own experiences with my last couple of cars though, very disappointing isn't it.
Really is mate ....what's been left of the cars standard spec is unbelievable wireless charging,one touch electric windows,folding door mirrors,global closing of electric windows,the interior plastic on the upper door cards have a visible join in them on both front doors, it's just demoralising so I am going to order a another car in December/January hopefully delivery for June

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and Mr Freeze

Yeah journalists, Youtubers anyone reviewing it really. I agree there is an element of truth to not many honest car reviews because of the car manufacturers.

With my car there are a few things I'm not quite happy with and I still occasionally think would I'd of been happy with something else. I've had hot hatches for the last 30 something years because I like the practicality of them. The RS3 8Y is the best and fastest car I've ever had and won't be selling it anytime soon. Looking forward to doing a few mods to her and when the ECU is eventually unlocked it will be better still. The M3 touring is out of my price range.

Reactions: Dnwc, Jassyo06 and Daggerit
Really is mate ....what's been left of the cars standard spec is unbelievable wireless charging,one touch electric windows,folding door mirrors,global closing of electric windows,the interior plastic on the upper door cards have a visible join in them on both front doors, it's just demoralising so I am going to order a another car in December/January hopefully delivery for June
Or maybe we’ve all become accustomed to having cars with lots of functionality and options as standard.
Once upon a time electric windows were a high specs option on the front let alone the rear,
With so many options available on modern cars and it is unbelievable the amount of options offered especially on Audi’s we do expect so much as standard but in someways even the basic spec on modern cars is so far beyond older cars we take it all for granted just a bit.
That’s progress for you.

Reactions: Anyname, Snake Pliskin and Dnwc
My old B7 A4 is nice for a 2006 year with some nice options but compared to 2023 basic spec Audi’ it is allmost basic in many departments.
I love it so happy to keep it and build quality is good.

8V had horrible handling.
I don't think you can generalise, the alloy engine cars were night and day different to the iron block cars, especially on the saloon geometry. That is why the DAZA is considered a sweet spot by many (including me). Good handling and almost the same noise as the PFL cars.

Admittedly I am used to Haldex cars and I find the Gen V quite predictable. I find the cars with trick rear diffs disconcerting, like the back end is on a rug that someone is pulling from side to side. I may get used to it eventually but from what I have driven it did not inspire confidence.

Whilst they might get round a corner with less effort and skill required it is nothing remotely like neatly balancing a RWD car round a corner on the racing line using the throttle. (unlike most of the rock apes on youtube who can do nothing other than mash the throttle, light up the tyres and hang on with the steering.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Ford stopped production of the Fiesta last week thank god
Or maybe we’ve all become accustomed to having cars with lots of functionality and options as standard.
Once upon a time electric windows were a high specs option on the front let alone the rear,
With so many options available on modern cars and it is unbelievable the amount of options offered especially on Audi’s we do expect so much as standard but in someways even the basic spec on modern cars is so far beyond older cars we take it all for granted just a bit.
That’s progress for you.

My old B7 A4 is nice for a 2006 year with some nice options but compared to 2023 basic spec Audi’ it is allmost basic in many departments.
I love it so happy to keep it and build quality is good.
Nanny option's that's what new cars are full of now
It's been stated a lot on here that Audi don't give UK buyers The respect and freedom of choice regarding options
In hindsight l should have never sold my MY18 S3 8v saloon because for me the 8v Fl A3/S3/RS3 pre opf models are the best of the best out of all them ....Its was a sad day, when folks on here started a thread on how improve the interior finish of an AUDI S3/RS3 8Y ....ie disguise the cheap looking high gloss plastic in the centre console....replace vents and seat's....

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze, flybynite and 1 other person
Nanny option's that's what new cars are full of now
It's been stated a lot on here that Audi don't give UK buyers The respect and freedom of choice regarding options
In hindsight l should have never sold my MY18 S3 8v saloon because for me the 8v Fl A3/S3/RS3 pre opf models are the best of the best out of all them
To be fair it is not just VAG/Audi. A lot of cars I have looked at are the same, for a lot of them around 2017 is a sweet spot before all the last raft of emissions / cost cuts and nannying electronics. Some of it is driven by legislation that hates cars but some of it is self-inflicted by the manufacturers who don't seem to know their market.

Reactions: Robsrs and Daggerit
I personally prefer it to the previous gen RS3, it’s an upgrade. Yes there’ll always be something you don’t like but that can be said about any car you buy. Interior and exhaust sound will be sorted when I start making it my own, I’m happy with mine and it’s a keeper.

Reactions: Anyname, mb127, Frankel and 1 other person
I don't think you can generalise, the alloy engine cars were night and day different to the iron block cars, especially on the saloon geometry. That is why the DAZA is considered a sweet spot by many (including me). Good handling and almost the same noise as the PFL cars.

Admittedly I am used to Haldex cars and I find the Gen V quite predictable. I find the cars with trick rear diffs disconcerting, like the back end is on a rug that someone is pulling from side to side. I may get used to it eventually but from what I have driven it did not inspire confidence.

Whilst they might get round a corner with less effort and skill required it is nothing remotely like neatly balancing a RWD car round a corner on the racing line using the throttle. (unlike most of the rock apes on youtube who can do nothing other than mash the throttle, light up the tyres and hang on with the steering.
Sorry I disagree non of the 8V cars handle PFL or FL when pushing on. FL improved things but not good enough for an RS. I had both the only thing going for it was the DAZA block which was a great 5 cylinder with lots of character.

The newer cars with trick diffs keep things interesting when pushing on you need to be awake now lol. Almost similar to an Evo with AYC diff. They got interesting and unpredictable if pushed the wrong way.
Not slagging of the 8V still like them but the 8Y has pushed it on regarding dynamics although I think Audi sport could have done a better job with this car. It’s not terrible but was expecting more.

Reactions: davc, Dnwc, Frankel and 1 other person
The downgrade in materials used in cars these days is one of the reasons I've kept hold of my 8v S3 has long as I have .
Has well as the crazy wait times

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
To be fair it is not just VAG/Audi. A lot of cars I have looked at are the same, for a lot of them around 2017 is a sweet spot before all the last raft of emissions / cost cuts and nannying electronics. Some of it is driven by legislation that hates cars but some of it is self-inflicted by the manufacturers who don't seem to know their market.
Agreed
Even Porsche seemed to go backwards slightly regarding the interior side of things. Compared to previous gen cars.

The downgrade in materials used in cars these days is one of the reasons I've kept hold of my 8v S3 has long as I have .
Has well as the crazy wait times
Wise decision is hindsight mate :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan, 8YARWY and Mr Freeze
Sorry I disagree non of the 8V cars handle PFL or FL when pushing on. FL improved things but not good enough for an RS.
I agree they are not the best handling things, bit of a blunt instrument but I find most people who put them down, never got to learn how to drive them. I always say they are like an old 911 but in reverse. (took me a while to get the hang of the 964 too)

It is an 8/10 car but a good one at that. In the real world not much would do better on a UK A road and a good mate in his F80 M3 doesn't see which way this goes in the wet both on the same tyres.
Not slagging of the 8V still like them but the 8Y has pushed it on regarding dynamics although I think Audi sport could have done a better job with this car. It’s not terrible but was expecting more.
The problem is for me the 8Y is still an 8/10 car, trick diff or not it is still not a comfortable car near the limit and the electronics make it difficult to find where that limit is, same with lots of cars these days where electronics decide where grip is. The thing is it is still an A3 with all that comes with the design. I think the TTRS handles better but it is a bit short of room for me and if I could make do with 2 doors an Audi would be long way down my list. @Terminator x and @Snake Pliskin have the right idea

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, NevMan, Charlie Farley and 1 other person
I agree they are not the best handling things, bit of a blunt instrument but I find most people who put them down, never got to learn how to drive them. I always say they are like an old 911 but in reverse. (took me a while to get the hang of the 964 too)

It is an 8/10 car but a good one at that. In the real world not much would do better on a UK A road and a good mate in his F80 M3 doesn't see which way this goes in the wet both on the same tyres.

The problem is for me the 8Y is still an 8/10 car, trick diff or not it is still not a comfortable car near the limit and the electronics make it difficult to find where that limit is, same with lots of cars these days where electronics decide where grip is. The thing is it is still an A3 with all that comes with the design. I think the TTRS handles better but it is a bit short of room for me and if I could make do with 2 doors an Audi would be long way down my list. @Terminator x and @Snake Pliskin have the right idea
964's handle really well if setup properly, C2's can be a bit of a handful sometimes but C4's were spot on, one needed to keep them on the boil really.
I loved my C4, and wished I'd kept it, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: flybynite
C2's can be a bit of a handful sometimes
It was indeed a C2 I had for a long time, it was fine once you learned what it could and could not do, (bit like the RS3) It was a steep learning curve but managed to keep it out of the ditches, was good training for the turbo.

Wish I had either of them now, added to the long list of old cars I wish I kept including my mk1 Mexico. Can't complain too much as I did get to keep a couple of cars I had in the 80s and 90s just not the pick of my old crop.

Reactions: Charlie Farley

That his poor and a sad reflection of where we are going, and ultimately be seemingly forced down the electric route with everything coming out of China. Have a Q3 coming in September (at German port at the mo) and under no illusions that the build quality will be nothing like my 2018 Q5 (should have kept that one!) but following a few test drives most of the quality is not too bad apart from the usual areas of scratchy plastic

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
964's handle really well if setup properly, C2's can be a bit of a handful sometimes but C4's were spot on, one needed to keep them on the boil really.
I loved my C4, and wished I'd kept it, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
993 C4 was better than the 964 C4, I had both and actually 2 x 993 C4, I used to do an awfull lot of work on 964/993 and earlier 911's, we once entered the Porsche Cup with a 993 C4, Mark Hales drove it at the launch event and thought it was a C2 but couldnt understand why when he got it just to the point of the rear letting go (At Goodwood) the car straightened itself out? They clambered underneath and then promptly banned 4 WD from the race series before the first event :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

I test drove a Mk8 Golf R which is where Audi originally 'stole' the Magna diff from, I thought the car was just about bomb proof and inspired a lot of confidence when pushed hard.

I 100% expected the RS3 to handle very similar, but, Audi have programmed the diffs response differently to the Golf R, pushing on the RS3 rear feels 'fidgety' for want of a better word and doesnt always inspire me with confidence or enjoyment like the Golf R did with the same diff

Reactions: flybynite